Need Help to Improve Aquascape - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
Need Help to Improve Aquascape

Here goes a one woman tank bashing session. Here is what I don't like about this tank. The left and the right side don't flow. Each side looks like a different tank. There is too much Ludwigia Repens on the right hand side b/c it grows like a weed and I'm not sure what to replace it with. I don't like the Rotala on the left (I'm not sure why). I was thinking of trying Wallachi in place of the Rotala. I have no idea how to trim the stems and the groupings have become blurred.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the look of this tank short of tearing it down and starting over (despite the self-critical assesment above there are things I like about the tank).
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
A little tuff on yourself, aren't you shay ? Your plants look as healthy as they come.

Simple suggestion: grow that foreground plant (chainsword, is it) to the left and right. I think that your plants are scaped a bit like downtown NewYork . Try overlapping and staggering. Just my $.02.

If you make any changes, be sure to post photos.

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 02:45 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
A better photo would help... There is NO reason to tear it all down!

I see what you mean about the right side. It is a bit awkward. I do like the left side. I would not swap out the Rotala rotundifolia for Rotala wallichii. The R. wallichii is too similar to the E. stellata than the R. rotundifolia. R. wallichii would throw things off.

The right side. Hmmm...
I think the scale is off. The plants on the left are smaller and finer leafed plants. The big leafed Sword and the plant behind and to the left (Watersprite?) are too big. I think those are the plants that need to be addressed.

I suppose you would want my opinion on a solution? I was hoping you wouldn't!

I don't see any hardscape there, so something like that could do the trick. A nice, smallish, stump-like piece of wood might look nice there. A curved piece of wood might be good as well. The curved wood should cradle the Sags and go from a low point to a higher point as it moves from left to right. A small variety of Anubias could also be attached to the wood. The wood would (no pun intended) transition the left side of the aquarium to the right, and the back of the aquarium to the front. You can leave the vals and the Ludwigia repens no problem.

Rocks? I personally don't think so at this point. You would need at least three rocks, and they would need to be of similar composition. The rocks would need to be arranged in an area larger than the space I feel is available.

But then again, what do I know! Every time I suggest a lay out I get shot down! The only advice I can give you that you should take to heart would be to consider your options. Don't rip things out in haste. Your aquarium looks great! It just needs some very minor tweaking. Think, plan and then act!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I was being pretty tuff on the tank. I figured if I was tuff on the tank then no one would be timid about giving constructive criticism.

There is a huge piece of driftwood behind the sword and the water sprite. (https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...tachmentid=380) I could remove it and there would be plenty of space for something else. I could also remove the watersprite. I've been hacking it back for a few months now anyway. Does the sword needs to go too?

I will let the sag grow to the right and left. There was more to the left of the tank but I moved it to grow out the Stellata. I'm sure I could get rid of a few stems of the Stellata in the front and grow the sag over to the left. (Anyone know if Rexx is still looking for Stellata? I'd be happy to donate to the cause.)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 07:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
I think that tank looks gorgeous. It actually looks kind of the way I have my 75 gallon tank laid out. I will post some pics of my initial setup as soon as I get the film developed. The only thing I would change about your tank is to give it a little more foreground. The only other thing is that the far right looks a little dark. Maybe it is just the pic. The other tweeks are minor and while up to your personal tastes, I would definately not critisize them. They are very minor indeed.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 12:02 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Very nice, healthy looking plants, I think all you really need is a trim of the midground stellata , spread out the foreground sags from left to right, move the watersprite behind that beautiful sword , trim down and control the ludwigia to a create a colored border between the sword and ws and the tank would take on an entirely new look ! By moving the ws behind the sword and L repens it would showcase the sword a bit better...I think that sword is a beauty !

Beautiful growth, cant wait to see what you decide.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your suggestions. Somehow I missed Mike's last paragraph and jumped right in there.

I extended the foreground(it will need to grow in some more). I should have left the stellata alone other than to trim the midground as Buck suggested. I tried to stagger it all and move it back. It's looking a little ragged now. I took out the large driftwood on the right. I'm going to look for a smaller one to replace it with. Gave the sword some room to breath. Moved the WS behind the sword. Tried to tame the repens with no success. What I need is a lesson on how to trim plants. Moved a lily over to the right hand corner. And temporarily stuck the java moss on the right hand side.

Here's a picture. Sorry about the quality but its the best I can do with this camera.
Attached Images

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 12:09 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I think it looks nice! It is going to take some time for the plants to grow in, but I think it will be fine!

What do you think??

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

It's growing on me.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
It looks great Shay
I myself am always tinkering and moving things around in my tank, thats why I have it...Theropy
My kids use to ask me alot, "Dad, why are you always walking around with that hand towel on your shoulder"....

Craig

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Wolf. I know what you mean. It's definitly theropudic. .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode