Looking for advice on my 29g - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking for advice on my 29g

Hey everyone my 29g is finishing up a fishless cycle and I've been thinking about what I'm going to stock it with and just how it looks in general.

initial plant:

now:

My main concern is that the rock is too big, and may impede flow or something (but I'm pretty happy with the way it looks). What do you think?

My current stocking plan is something like this: (1M 2F Gourami) and am looking for a good clean up crew, or potentially some glass catfish (they look interesting). What would you recommend?

Let me know what you think this is my first planted tank and I'm curious what you all think about the setup / stocking, and any suggestions you might have!

I'm also brand spanking new to the forum, but it's served as an incredibly valuable reference getting everything up and running, thanks in advance and let me know if I somehow did this all wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:52 PM
Banned

I don't recommend the glass catfish, they usually go in a huge tank or a species tank due to how delicate they are with parameters and stock. id say leave the rock and shove some moss on it or something.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

I personally think you will be OK with glass catfish, they are fairly small, but do need a group of around 6.
The rock is fine
If you want color, look into some Apistogramma, small cichlids that will be perfect in a tank that size

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the response Betta! Yeah after looking into it a little more you could be right about the glass catfish, one 'sub-species'(?) seems to be much larger than the other so I would have to do my research. I've tried getting some moss on that rock in the past, but with the filter right there its been tough. Any suggestions for something else to stock it with?

Bump: Sohank Apistogramma looks awesome. Would they be too aggressive to keep with Gourami? Strange enough I'm also in Naperville -- Mind me asking where you pick up your fish? :P

Last edited by Banana Plant Bob; 03-29-2017 at 10:22 PM. Reason: correction
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Ya put some moss on the rock and let the rest grow in. It's a good start

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
A background would look awesome...My fav. is black,it really makes the colors pop,and most of the equipment disappear.

I think a bunch of rotala or even anacharis (egeria densa) would look awesome right behind that rock.Plus either of those would soon grow to the top of the tank,and fill in that blank spot there.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Naperville, IL? I shop at aquatic adventures often.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Can use black contact paper and trim to fit. Works pretty nice for the back of tanks
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtAnimals View Post
A background would look awesome...My fav. is black,it really makes the colors pop,and most of the equipment disappear.

I think a bunch of rotala or even anacharis (egeria densa) would look awesome right behind that rock.Plus either of those would soon grow to the top of the tank,and fill in that blank spot there.

I didn't even think about a background but that will probably be the next thing I pick up.

Both of those plants look like they would be a good fit, I have tried replanting some moneywart there but I didn't leave a TON of room behind the rock so it's proving to be a challenge... I think if i really set my mind to it I can squeeze something in there though.
Will having plants so close to the heater/filter intake be a problem?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3monic View Post
Yeah I actually just joined their fish club a few weeks back.

Awesome selection of fish and plants, I can't really imagine a better place nearby.
D3monic and D3monic like this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Plant Bob View Post
Thanks for the response Betta! Yeah after looking into it a little more you could be right about the glass catfish, one 'sub-species'(?) seems to be much larger than the other so I would have to do my research. I've tried getting some moss on that rock in the past, but with the filter right there its been tough. Any suggestions for something else to stock it with?

Bump: Sohank Apistogramma looks awesome. Would they be too aggressive to keep with Gourami? Strange enough I'm also in Naperville -- Mind me asking where you pick up your fish? :P
Join the Chicago Aquatic Plant Society, lots of free plants and giveaways!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/954727274614628/
Apistogramma a fairly peaceful, dwarf cichlids tend to be aggressive to one another, until territories are establised. I used to shop at Aquarium Adventure, but got tired of the stupidly overpriced fish and awful quality. 10 buck for flippin Praecox rainbows, and I got them, and 5 out of 8 died. I took a trip to Fish Planet in Deerfield, they were $4 and bigger, and better quality, none died.
I go to Tropi-Quatics, they have a great selection, and filter each tank independently, so diseased tanks are marked, and fish aren't allowed to be sold from those tanks. The prices at tropi-quatics are fair, and the fish are good quality, and for the most part they are selling adult specimens, which is awesome for things like Diamond tetras that look awful when young.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3monic View Post
Try Tropi-Quatics, much better prices and fish are healthier and bigger.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 11:05 PM
Algae Grower

Woodridge here! Whaaaaat!

Have you been to Petland in Bolingbrook next to Ikea? Nice stuff there. I will have to check out the others you mentioned and look into the facebook group.

Far as tank, looks good! I am just starting with my own as well. I tossed in some albino cherry barbs.

I painted my background for $1, same size tank. Acrylic paint from Hobby Lobby.

What light is that?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by audimurf View Post
Woodridge here! Whaaaaat!

Have you been to Petland in Bolingbrook next to Ikea? Nice stuff there. I will have to check out the others you mentioned and look into the facebook group.

Far as tank, looks good! I am just starting with my own as well. I tossed in some albino cherry barbs.

I painted my background for $1, same size tank. Acrylic paint from Hobby Lobby.

What light is that?
Petland in Bolingbrook by Ikea is Aquarium Adventure! The light is a Finnex 24/7 Planted+ I've been running it on 24/7 mode and it's worked pretty well so far!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 11:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

I hate Aquarium adventure/Petland bolingbrook with a passion
Terrible prices (Horrendously overpriced) Crappy quality (Seriously, I have a 50% or worse survival rate from there), one top of all that, they have one central filter, so if one tank gets a disease ALL THE FISH HAVE IT! It is a cool place to look around, but the actual purchasing should be done somewhere else.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
Try Tropi-Quatics, much better prices and fish are healthier and bigger.
I'll check it out when I'm looking to actually stock the tank, thanks..

Lots of locals coming out of the woodworks
sohankpatel and sohankpatel like this.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 12:22 AM
Algae Grower

Did you test the rock before you put it in the tank? I read the Nitrate bottle from API has hydrochloric acid in it. a drop on it to see if it fizzes. Help you choose your stocking

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode