31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
Cool tanks, really making me want to start a new tank with sand
I can honestly say that given the choice between the fluorite and sand, for a dirted tank cap, I will now go sand everytime. I may mix some fluorite with the soil moving forward to help with nutrient release, but the cap really makes the scape for me.

Long story short, do it.

One con: you see the debris. But a good cleaning helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May all your algae get eaten, and all your scales be slimy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update #2 - Let There Be Light

So, rather than spend $30+ on a nano light, which was a converted desk light, or $100 for a true nano light, I went the cheap route because the Scottish in me just couldn't justify another dollar.

So for a grand $8 and free shipping I bought a cell phone holder to hold the light from my 20 gallon. And let me tell you, I am once again pleasantly chuffed at my ingenuity. It works perfect. I'm going to eventually move it behind my cube, but I wanted to demonstrate my genius. I have a cat who likes to rub her face on things, specifically things that I am paying attention to instead of her and I really did not want to electrocute my fish. (The light was just resting on the glass as the "lids" are not here yet.)

Yes.

Lid(S).

Sterling is beautiful as always, lounging on his moss. Pablo made an appearance today too, although I suspect he may still be having troubles with the sand. Took him a solid hour to make it from where I dropped him into the tank to the moss ball. A grand 5 cm.

That's all I have for you folks. This tank is waiting to grow in, and I am incredibly happy with it, so I don't imagine it will have as many updates. However what I can tell you, is that they will all be beautiful.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

Last edited by puriance; 04-05-2017 at 08:47 PM. Reason: grammar
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So... I thought it was evaporation because my bedroom is pretty warm, but it turns out that my cat has been drinking the water.

I hope the lids come soon.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by puriance View Post
So... I thought it was evaporation because my bedroom is pretty warm, but it turns out that my cat has been drinking the water.

I hope the lids come soon.
whenever my cat drinks out of my tank, I jump up really fast from where I am and smack the **** out of him until he is off the counter.
Jk,
I just shove him off
puriance and puriance like this.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
whenever my cat drinks out of my tank, I jump up really fast from where I am and smack the **** out of him until he is off the counter.
Jk,
I just shove him off

Lol well she is 17, so I can't be too physical :p It's more when I am not there because she sleeps on my bed, so I know she is just drinking while I'm not looking. I ordered clips and clear plastic plates to cover my tank. They are square, and I can cut them to make room for cords if need be. They will just take awhile to get here

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update #3 - I Got an Itch I Just Can't Scratch

I should have gone with sponge filters since day one. Really, it would have solved me a whole host of issues that I (along with Sterling) have suffered through this last week. To start, the lovely little cache of s repens that is planted in the small hollow on the top of my driftwood, ALWAYS gets the dirt blown out of it whenever I so much as glance at the god forsaken filter.

I will never recommend the Hagen Mini Elite filter for a nano dirted tank. It is aggravating in tight spaces. I’m probably just picky, but that’s the whole point of having a beautiful scape. Being picky.

(Before trim)

It’s probably a fine filter, it just makes me angry. *grumbles under her breath*

Now that the s repens has rooted, it’s not such a big deal. However, the other problem with that bloody little filter, even when I have it on its lowest setting the current is so strong that no matter where I point the nozzle, everything gets kicked up, pushed around and Sterling has a hard time swimming. I tried putting it against things, it blew off whatever I blocked it with, every time I moved it EVERYTHING WENT WRONG.

NOT ONLY THAT, but in order to limit the current enough so that Sterling could swim without basically running a marathon (which he already has a hard enough time doing because of his gorgeous halfmoonyness) I had to push the filter so far into the tank that there was no surface agitation at all. Which = protein film.

I hope you can see where this is going.

Or maybe not.

I replaced it with the Aquaclear 10 that comes with the fluval edge 6 gallon. This one I could directly control the flow. It’s problem is that it is a HOB, which can’t be ignored, and takes away from the aesthetic of the tank. By this point I had put Sterling in my QT 8 gallon tank (which I am going to sell) and he was happily lounging on my plant clippings on the top of the tank (waiting for their new tank) or hiding in a castle. Although the current in that one is also a bit strong.

Anyways, the AC was easier to manage, but fugly, and Sterling wasn’t even in the tank, and the water wasn’t moving enough to get heat from one side of the tank to another and it wasn’t right either, and I was starting to hate this beautiful little piece of riverbed that I created.

And then, ladies and gentlefish, I had to spend a day in a town about an hour away where my doctor, dentist and hairdresser are (I grew up there and when you have hair like mine you can’t just find another hair dresser) and in between appointments I sought out and found MULTIPLE aquarium stores.

I went to 4.

The answer came to me in the form of a sponge filter.

Now Sterling is back in his tank, but itchy. I had left for Easter weekend and my husband cared for Sterling while I was gone, and when I got home I realized that for some reason the heater was not keeping the tank warm enough. I upgraded from my 10 watt submersible heater to a 25 watt Marina heater that I scored for $10 on Craigslist.

I took Pablo Escargot out and put him in the QT tank, and treated the tank with Kordon Rapid Cure. He isn’t showing any signs of ich, but he is definitely itchy. I did a 60% water change on the tank today and added stability, stressguard and the treatment (in addition to prime, but that is just a no brainer). Since Sterling is the only inhabitant, I’m sure it will all clear up soon and it’s on my desk so I am watching him for hours out of the day.

The sponge filter is a god send. The heater is finally heating up the tank, and the surface of the water is moving without having a strong current. Personally with nano tanks, I will now always go with sponge filters. Way way way better and Sterling can now swim everywhere. Although he is upset he has been moved again so he is hiding against the driftwood.

Such a prince.

I like the tank again. I was playing with the idea of selling it, but quite enjoy it. The only thing is, I may have been on Aquadbid.

I may have bid on a betta.

So I’m probably going to remove the top from my fluval edge so that I can divide the 6 gallon. I like the idea of it divided because it is wider rather than tall, and the guy at one of the LFS I went to yesterday called Fish Addicts (The name spoke to me) said that the idea makes sense to him too, considering they would rather swim side to side instead of up and down. Leaving the top on means that the only access would be at the back, which makes it hard to scape, divide and get two fish in and out of.

The only logical answer is to remove the top. It’s cracked anyways. And while I did seal it, it will suit my purposes better open, and it looks awesome rimless.

We got a new shelving unit that we are going to put into the bedroom, so I may put shrimp into this tank and put the edge on the shelf beside my desk.

This never ends.

Last edited by puriance; 04-20-2017 at 11:27 PM. Reason: correction
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sterling isn't doing very well. Ever since the heater went kaput he has been having issues. He has been scratching so much he has rubbed the scales off one side of his gills and a little on his side.

I treated for ich with Kordon rapid cure when I first got home. I treated with aquarium salt. Kicked the heater up to 81 degrees (it won't keep the cube hotter without a lid which I don't have clips for yet, hopefully they arrive today. Giving up on the lid I ordered which hadn't shipped even 1 month after I ordered it. Buying some glass today instead).

There is no velvet, no film, no fuzz, no redness, just itching, listlessness, lethargy and rapid breathing at times. He lays in the bottom of the tank in the corner and sometimes swims to the surface for air, or chills in his hammock.

He was curling like he had nitrAte shock, but my water parameters checked out. When I changed to the sponge filter I kept the old sponge from my last filter on top of it, since that's where the water is drawn in to keep the BB. I also added stability so I don't think the tank went through another cycle.

Here is a video: https://www.facebook.com/s.j.hystad/...8488679890316/

He is still eating so I take that as a good sign. When the ich treatment didn't work I treated with prazipro, hoping that it was a parasite that I couldn't see. He didn't respond much. I went to another fish group I belong to on facebook and a girl who is a vet tech (I believe) gave me some suggestions. So I treated with the API fungus cure that I have because it treats secondary bacterial infections, with victoria green and whatever else. Everything was closed so I couldn't get anything last night. I'm hoping he responds to it while I'm at work today and if not I can go to a petsmart near me since it is open until 9.

My ammonia and nitrites are at 0, my nitrates are at .25. I have done daily water changes at 20%, a big one at 60% before I added the prazipro. That was 3 days ago now, and I need to let the treatment run its course before another water change. The girl said that I could use it in conjunction with the API cure, so I did last night. He wasn't curling today at all, or itching. He also swam a little this morning when I woke up. He isn't doing any worse, but he isn't doing well.

Kind of all consuming at this point. I bought another betta of aquabid that will arrive in a couple of weeks so I want to make sure that I have it all under control. I will have another tank divided for him by the time he gets here, and will likely keep Sterling in this one for awhile. Quarantine for a bit I guess.

Regardless... I just hope he gets better that I have gotten him the help that he needs. I don't know what else to do at this point. Is there something I overlooked? I'm going to post this in fish help as well.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 06:49 PM
Algae Grower

I'm sorry to hear that Sterling is doing poorly. :[ I was going to say that I know medications can be quite hard on little fish friends, especially if they're already feeling kind of meh to begin with, but it looks like someone in the other thread already pointed that out. Not that I fault you for treating him.
If something goes wrong with any of my animals, or even plants, I'm like oh nooooo what do I dooooo and want to fix the situation. I know I overdo it sometimes in my attempts to remedy the problem right then and there rather than cautiously waiting things out. Just offering my support. These delicate creatures, who live in a realm so different from our own, are hard to care for. People say fish and the like are easy pets compared to cats and dogs...yeah right. x__x
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So after multiple water changes and attempting to figure everything out, I set to work taking the top off of my 6 gallon edge because I have a betta on the way and Sterling needs to get better. No matter how I cleaned it, I felt like water was not moving, and I was suffering from a dead spot, and I feel as though that is contributing to him not getting better. He was certainly on the mend, but I noticed a tiny fuzzball looking thing on his sore which was finally starting to heal and I just wanted to take it all down.

So today in a fit of "I will save you Sterling" I told my husband I was going to take down the 4 gallon, and sell it, while secretly setting up the 6 gallon that I had divided and suggested I wanted and if I got one, would turn into a riparium, and so basically set up a mini hospital tank for Sterling with no plants, just the sponge filter, heater and some silk plants I had picked up (once the scape is final on the tank you will see why I wanted to do it. It will be planted, but a new kind of planted.) So when my husband came into the bedroom there was this new tank and he has been with me and my car has been broken for a couple of days so he has no idea where it came from, and it went perfectly.

I have it divided with a pane of glass that I sealed in, and will do a journal for it complete with pictures once I get the scape I want in it. But once I put Sterling in it, he started moving around, was way more active and not just hiding in one corner of the tank, and he is totally displaying again. I think the other tank was great for me to look at, but he was not enjoying it.

So the rimless edge looks like a petsmart special (for now) but Sterling wants to be in it. I only added aquarium salt, prime and stability to the water when I filled it, and kicked the temp up to 82.

Also, it's a good thing I did it when I did, because the wood would not have stayed up for much longer, because the silicone was separating from the wood (but not the glass). So Now I am going to clean it, sell it, and get this all ready and worthy of the planted tank.

Thus ends the short life of the Missing Link tank. Very aesthetic, not very practical and worthy of a few great learning points for the novice.

The End

Tags
betta, internal filter, nano, natural aquascape, silicone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode