125g Planted, Up and Running - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
125g Planted, Up and Running

Last night stayed up unthinkably late in order to finish planting these guys. A huge thank you to Trinsfish.com for the hook up on the plants. They definitely over delivered with great healthy plants.

Well here is the set up.

125g Tank
Fluval Fx6 Canister
Sera Flore Inline Reactor
GLA Co2
Aqueon 1250 power head
EVO QUAD LED (96x3w)
CalAqua Drop Checker
Milwaukee pH Controller

Inside the tank

-Pool Filter Sand
-Java Moss
-Dwarf Sag
-Dwarf Hairgrass
-Baby Tears
-Italian Val
(Looking to add more plants + fish soon)

The tank is hooked up to timers and the lights and co2 are automated.

Root tabs will be in place by the end of the night and will also fertilize the water column for the first time. Let me know what you think of Day one of plants! Sorry for the fuzzy pictures. (If only I spent a fraction of what I've spent on this tank on a new phone lol)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	day one closer.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	738426  

Name:	closeup day 1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	738434  

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	738442  

Name:	plants.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	738450  

Name:	UnderTank.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	738458  

Veritas, Veritas, d33pVI and 9 others like this.

Last edited by Drew Hawker; 03-29-2017 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Mispelling, Adding Info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 06:54 PM
Algae Grower

Looks very nice!

Is that the 125g setup from Petsmart, with the stand with a single center cabinet and shelves to each side of it? If so, I have same one and am currently building a CO2 system and was planning a 20lb tank next to tank but would much rather have the tank in the cabinet with my FX6. Is that a 10lb tank you have?

Also, is your sand not getting blasted around with the FX6 output pointing downward like that? I have mine up toward surface to agitate.
Drew Hawker and Drew Hawker like this.

Last edited by Jamieson22; 03-29-2017 at 10:23 PM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hello Jamie,

This is the 125 setup found at Petsmart. The cabinet is exactly as you've described.

This is a 10lb tank. The fit under the tank is very snug, but it fits perfectly. You could probably find a different way to sit things in the stand but what was important to me was access to the the Co2 for tinkering and also the purge drain on the filter. With it set up like this I get both of those things accomplished.

The filter's water flow has been severely affected by the Sera reactor due to its 5/8 inline and outline size. I was both disappointed and surprised when I realized how much this affected the fx6's water flow. Due to this I've added the power head for added circulation. The sand stays in place and I haven't had a problem. I have great circulation and Co2 seems to be working great.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice tank!
Drew Hawker and Drew Hawker like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you Shamrock! Did you guys notice the cave?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:24 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Hawker View Post
Hello Jamie,

This is the 125 setup found at Petsmart. The cabinet is exactly as you've described.

This is a 10lb tank. The fit under the tank is very snug, but it fits perfectly. You could probably find a different way to sit things in the stand but what was important to me was access to the the Co2 for tinkering and also the purge drain on the filter. With it set up like this I get both of those things accomplished.
Thanks for the info. May have to go with a 10lb if I can hide it over a 20lb outside the stand. Do the filter/tank extend past the wood of the stand to fit (where the back of cabinet is open) or would they still fit if cabinet had a back panel on it? I don't have a ton of room between back of stand and wall.

Thanks!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The Filter is 1" off the back ledge of the stand (The lid of the canister and not the base). If you have the 1" tubing the filter comes with ran behind the tank on the wall that should allow for the tiny extra space you need in order to close the cabinet. You should have plenty of room, in my cabinet it fits very easily you just have to think about how to use the small space you've got.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:11 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
The Filter is 1" off the back ledge of the stand (The lid of the canister and not the base). If you have the 1" tubing the filter comes with ran behind the tank on the wall that should allow for the tiny extra space you need in order to close the cabinet. You should have plenty of room, in my cabinet it fits very easily you just have to think about how to use the small space you've got.
I mounted a power center on wall behind cabinet and build some platforms that sit on floor between wall and back of cabinet to raise up the transformer boxes for the pair of LED lights I run. Looks like I'll need to move the platforms and do some rearranging so the tank and FX6 fit.

Anyway, sorry to hijack, appreciate the help!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Hello Jamie,
The filter's water flow has been severely affected by the Sera reactor due to its 5/8 inline and outline size. I was both disappointed and surprised when I realized how much this affected the fx6's water flow. Due to this I've added the power head for added circulation. The sand stays in place and I haven't had a problem. I have great circulation and Co2 seems to be working great.
This is just food for thought, and I really don't know either way... Have you thought about what that level of restriction is going to do to the pump? I would be worried about prematurely fatiguing the pump with that much back pressure.

Maybe I'm crazy, but just thought I would mention it =)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I see. I too have a few other things mounted behind the tank in various areas but all are very small power strips/timers etc.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have been very concerned about it. A replacement motor and impeller would be annoying but not devastating. I've calculated the risk and if I end up in the position where the fx6 goes out I will replace the motor then I would build a DIY reactor in order to better suite the mammoth flow from the FX6.

If anyone knows of a commercially available reactor that is 1" inlet/outlet let me know. From what I understand that increased flow rate is also going to just blow the co2 bubbles right out of the reactor sort of defeating it's purpose.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:59 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
If anyone knows of a commercially available reactor that is 1" inlet/outlet let me know. From what I understand that increased flow rate is also going to just blow the co2 bubbles right out of the reactor sort of defeating it's purpose.
Ta-da!
Rex Grigg Style Co2 Reactor | Advanced Version With By-Pass Valve
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you very much sir. I will probably build one based directly on this seeing as I've already spent my 60 bucks on the Sera lol.
Jamieson22 and Jamieson22 like this.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:53 PM
Algae Grower

Keep up posted how it goes!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
You could take the Sera reactor and put it inside the tank connected to a powerhead instead of keeping it inline with the FX filter. Maybe not the most attractive option, but could find some nice hardscape pieces to screen it. Another alternative would be keep your eye out for an additional cheap canister to run your reactor separately. I have 2 fluval cans on my 75 that I picked up used for a total of $60, both working just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
125 gallon, java, pool filter sand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode