The neglected fishbowl - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Rhenerie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Thumbs down The neglected fishbowl

Alright, backstory first. I had a pretty good looking aquarium. Then my wife and I got pregnant and had our first baby. My daughter is now 5 months, and I'm getting a little of my hobby time back. The problem is that I've lost about 80-90% of my plant mass. I did my best to set up a South American biotope. While people said it looked really good, I felt as though it never got the appreciation it deserved. Well, now I just want a good looking aquarium again.

I'm thinking about going fairly low tech. I don't have Co2, I do have excel and have been dosing that. I also have dry EI(I believe) ferts from nilocg but would rather not have to mess with them too much. Maybe in the future, but right now, the less time spent on maintenance is best for me. Lighting is Current LED plus pro. 55 gallon with black diamond blasting sand. I do have and will use osmocote + root caps.

My water, which I haven't checked in a while, is roughly 6ph(always very low on the chart), gh and kh have always been next to nothing.

My current plant list is Bacopa Caroliniana, Cabomba pulcherrima(purple cabomba), a very sad looking Echinodorus Barthii var red melon and just as sad Echinodorus tenellus.

My wish list is:
Ludwigia Sp. Rubin, Rotala Rotundifolia, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Anubias Barteri Coffeefolia, Anubias Pinto, Myriophyllum Tubercatum, Nymphaea Lotus (red Tiger lotus). Maybe even a buce.

Questions:
I'm not looking for absolute perfect color out of these plants, again, no Co2. Is this going to be too much color? Ludwigia, rotala, myriophyllum and lotus?
I know I have some tank busters in the list. The lotus and sword alone can get huge. Am I over zealous and unrealistic? On this subject, how big does the Anubias Barteri Coffeefolia get? I see conflicting numbers online.
What else am I forgetting?

Before and After(current) pictures attached. Explanation of the current state of the tank tonight: I forgot to plug in the filter and the water got cloudy and when I got home to notice it, there were some rummy nose at the surface gasping so I've got an air pump dumping air into the water. Thankfully, I didn't lose anybody!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	738266  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	738274  

Add a custom signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So in the past week, I noticed the temperature on my thermometer going down. It went from ~79* to about 74-75*. Without thinking too much, I adjusted the heater(eheim jager) slowly and found it sort of recovered. The net day, I thought about it some and checked the temperature with another thermometer. It read about 83*. I figured this reading was more accurate and the other thermometer is starting to die. So, I bought a little bit more expensive one from amazon(read exactly 1* higher from my second test thermometer), watched it over the course of a few days and got a steady temp but when messing with the jager heater, I must have messed up the calibration. It reads that the temp should be about 72* when the thermometer reads 79*. Feed up with the jager heater, I got a finnex titanium heater. While not perfect, visually I think it looks much better then the jager. It seems to be off a little too, but easily adjustable. I almost want to get a heater controller!! This stuff is getting to the point of I don't know who's telling me the truth.

As a whole, the aquarium is looking much better then it did about 4 weeks ago(at it's worst ever). Both the plants and fish are responding much better to what's happening with their settings now.

I bought some plants from a member here. I've got them planted but not exactly where I want them. I'll probably play with the locations this weekend and upload pictures. Even though I said I didn't want to use dry ferts, I've found myself consistently using them for just short of a week. I believe this has caused my purple cabomba to liven up significantly.

Work In Progress!!

Add a custom signature
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Any analog heater out there is not going by to be "accurate". But eheim jagers are good because they are precise. Meaning it doesn't matter weather it says 78 or 55, as long as it hold a steady temp within +/-1 degree .. (77-79) then your good to go... Never trust what the knob says. I always use a separate thermometer and adjust over the course of a couple days to get it right.
NickAu and NickAu like this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhenerie View Post
Any analog heater out there is not going by to be "accurate". But eheim jagers are good because they are precise. Meaning it doesn't matter weather it says 78 or 55, as long as it hold a steady temp within +/-1 degree .. (77-79) then your good to go... Never trust what the knob says. I always use a separate thermometer and adjust over the course of a couple days to get it right.
I agree. It's totally possible to make a heater that is truly accurate within a very small margin. The only problem is in doing so, the price would be much more then what most people would find acceptable. That's why I mentioned a heater controller. If I understand them correctly, turn the heater up a little higher then what you need and set the controller to what you want. I think they have a bit more sensitive and accurate temperature sensor. They'll also save the tank from overheating if the thermometer gets stuck "on".

I liked the Eheim Jager..sort of. It was very dependable. I did not like the calibration process though. It seemed overly complicated for something I want to plug in and maybe turn a knob 1/64th of a turn at a time to adjust it. I didn't care for the look of it to be honest. I prefer the solid black look, such as the marineland stealth heater. However, with those you can't tell at a glance if they're on. They don't have a light/indicator. I suppose it's a give and take.

Add a custom signature
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 06:01 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yeah l, heater controllers work pretty well.. I have one I've purchased and have one I've made. I much prefer the ability to type in a number and know that's what I will be getting.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've got some updated pictures. Everything is moving along nicely. I've got new growth all around and the fish are doing great. Even had my paired angles spawn which they haven't done in a long time. I guess they're happy with their new conditions. With the last water change, I added root caps. I can't remember the last time I added them in specific areas.

Updated plant list:
Ludwigia Sp. Red Was grown in high light high CO2. Currently turning from red to rusty green-expected.

Rotala Rotundifolia In slightly poor health, trying to coax it along.

Cryptocoryne wendtii red in full melt. expected. I did have an issue, while removing from the shipping bag, about 2/3rds of the rhizome broke. I've got both anchored, well see what shakes out. Maybe I'll end up with two nice crypts?

myriophyllum red stem A beautiful plant. Added a lot of texturea

Wave moss Hasn't done too much for me just yet. Letting it take hold and grow.

Sagittaria subulata It's looking good. Hasn't grown too much. But it's not in decline.

Ludwigia x lacustris A very different plant for me. Growing well, hoping once it reaches a bit higher, it'll turn form green.

Anubias Pinto Probably my favorite plant out of the new group.

Anubias Nana Lovely added texture from the larger leafs.

List of old plants I had:
Purple Cabomba Doing well, growing fast. Working to get straight stems. Most are bent/crooked from growing on the surface or mush in the middle of the stem. Will pull through with no issues.

Bacopa Carolina On the fence. I've got 3 stems. Two small, mostly healthy, one long with only a few leaves but the stem is covered in black beard. I've treated as much as possible. Hopefully, the two small stems pull through.

Red flame sword When I was digging around planting the new batch, I realized I had it buried too much. I lifted it out of the sub-straight and I've got three tiny leafs on the plant. Hope it pulls through.

Dwarf Chain Sword. I've got two fairly healthy plants. One has put out a runner. Should be ok.

In other news, I've been strongly considering setting up a CO2 system.. I've got: victor vts 250 c regulator, hoke 1335 metering valve and a burkert 6011 solenoid valve. The heavy lifting has been done, need to get the final bits and assemble. build thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-...co2-build.html

Enough talk. Pics.

Add a custom signature

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode