Well seasons changed and the sun starting hitting my tank through a sliver of window and got me some green water
So I took it as an opportunity to completely redo the tank.
The plant bin
I also put my fish in the bin and put in a small pump to circulate the water as this rescape took from 10pm to 3:30am. Long but fun as usual. I decided to use some drift wood this time. I boiled the wood as I find this is the quickest way to water log wood
I also decided it was time to paint the background black which my son helped out with
I wanted the wood to sit a little higher and hopefully focus the attention on the rule of 1/3's so I purchased some cheap gravel and used lava rock chunks to build a hill
found an open box sun sun 304b cheap which I was stoked about. I will be adding a reactor soon for better co2 saturation and distribution. Here's finishing adding back the substrate
which is a mix of ecocomplete, black sand and cheap gravel under the roots.
And now planted
I ended up tossing more than 50% of the original plant mass so it will take some time to fill back in. The focal point is hopefully going to be the ludwigia super red that is positioned in and right behind the roots but it will take a month or so to get bushy again. I may switch this plant out to a different red plant (suggestions welcome) as this plant has been causing me some headaches with poor leaf development. I'm thinking Monte Carlo for the foreground. The pearl weed got old for me pretty quick but I do have some growing nicely in my 15 gallon. Just grew very fast and gets tall as it spreads out. Want something that will stay lower.
Side note; the ludwigia repens deformed growth pretty much went away by me not dosing micros at all for the past ten days or so. I put dosing on hold when the green water came on.
Tell me what you think. Foreground ideas and possible replacement ideas for my lud super red mini.
Thanks for looking.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk