Jello's new 125- Pic Heavy- Dealing with BGA =( - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Jello's new 125- Pic Heavy- Plants are on the way!

Some notes: The Mollies and Guppies were from an attempt at breeding to sell to my LFS. I underestimated how many babies they would have and canít sell any more, so for now, their incessant humping will result in live food for the others in the tank. Maybe thatís cruel, but itís the best I can do.

🤣 LMAO🤣
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 09:03 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYE.__.HIGH View Post
Some notes: The Mollies and Guppies were from an attempt at breeding to sell to my LFS. I underestimated how many babies they would have and canít sell any more, so for now, their incessant humping will result in live food for the others in the tank. Maybe thatís cruel, but itís the best I can do.

🤣 LMAO🤣

Eh - no more cruel than what happens in nature. Your bigger fish will love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My father's day
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A new 120g is coming!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Woohoo! The new plants came in today in excellent shape. Many thanks to @SubstrateSource for all of their assistance. They were super helpful with the ordering process, even getting their hands on plants they don't normally carry in order to help me out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Greggz, Greggz, Opare and 5 others like this.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

post #64 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok, so I took a half day at work to plant the tank, and managed to get it all done in 8 hours. Most of the plants were in excellent shape, with the exception of a couple of melted crypt leaves (which is to be expected). I can't wait for this to fill in; Right now none of the red is visible at all. This is going to be completely different once the A. Reineckii fills! Enjoy!

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

Last edited by jellopuddinpop; 06-03-2017 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Formatting
post #65 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 03:27 AM
Planted Member

What was your plant bill at the end of the day?

My father's day

A new 120g is coming!
post #66 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestcook View Post
What was your plant bill at the end of the day?

Total was about $180, but $60 of it was the Buce.
forrestcook and forrestcook like this.

post #67 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's a 1 week update:

The tank is currently getting 1/3 EI micros with supplementary P and K, along with 2ppm ammonia every other day to keep my bb going. CO2 is 25ppm when the lights turn on, and peak at 30 by lights off. Right now, lights are on for 6 hours with the red channel at 40% and the blue channel at 20%.

KH = 8.5
GH = 10
PH (w/o CO2) = 7.9
PH (w/ CO2) = 6.8
Temp = 75 deg f

Overall, I haven't seen any signs of algae with the exception of traces on the lily pipes. The only concern I have is that I'm still getting some surface scum, either from the tank cycling or from the BDBS. I've been shop-vac'ing it off, and it seems to be getting a little better. There is a ton of surface agitation, so I'm hoping it will go away on its own. This sounds strange, but I was hoping for a little bit of algae so I could shut down my other tank and move everyone in. As it stands, there is no algae for my otos, nerites, amanos, and SAEs. I was hoping to avoid feeding veggies if possible, but I'll be shutting down my 90 next weekend, one way or another.

The S. Repens is showing strong growth, with only very slight yellowing and no melting from the transition.

The DHG is seemingly exactly the same as when planted. No new growth to note, but no melting or deficiency noted.

A. Reineckii is showing some promise. The new growth is coming in more red, despite very conservative dosing and reduced lighting.

The Buce is growing some new leaves that are still green unfortunately. I was hoping the higher lighting would bring out their coloration, but nothing yet.

The C. Balansae is going through a pretty rough melt, but is sending out new leaves regularly. The old growth melting isn't worrying at all, I was expecting it.

Opare, Opare, Dman911 and 3 others like this.

post #68 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
The C. Balansae is going through a pretty rough melt, but is sending out new leaves regularly. The old growth melting isn't worrying at all, I was expecting it.
Once it gets going, that Balansae can get huge. I had some awhile ago, but it grew so tall it started folding over at the surface. Will be interesting to see how it works out for you.

And things are looking great. Keep the updates coming.

---
---
post #69 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Once it gets going, that Balansae can get huge. I had some awhile ago, but it grew so tall it started folding over at the surface. Will be interesting to see how it works out for you.

And things are looking great. Keep the updates coming.
I'm actually hoping for that to be honest. I might not like it once I see it in person, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there

post #70 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sad times today 😣. My 90g, the tank I used to learn on, just got it's final hack job. Trimmed everything down to the substrate in prep for taking all the fauna out this weekend.

I had planned on doing a RAOK, but the plants were just not in good enough shape to offer them up. I haven't done any real maintenance in weeks, and everything got lanky with crappy looking bottom leaves. I figured it would just be a disappointment to anyone who happened to "win" lol.

post #71 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi everyone, this was a big weekend for me, having shut down my 90g and moved all of the livestock over to my new tank. I was able to donate the mollys to a friend who wants to breed them (muahahaha), and I lost 2 very old guppies during the move. Everyone else is doing great, though they have all lost their color from the stress of moving. They all transitioned well though, and are eating well.

On a surprise note, I had added about 20 amano shrimp to the tank that I thought were getting picked off by a hungry angelfish, but when I removed all of the hardscape, I found there are still around 11 that were alive and well. They also made the transition well, and with no real caves for them to dive into, I'll be able to keep better track of them.

On the plant front, I've got some very strong and healthy growth from the S. Repens, A. Reineckii, and C. Balansae, while the DHG is starting to show some new runners, and there are new leaves coming in on all of the Buce. So far, there is little to no algae to speak of, so I'm going to knock on wood that keeps up.

post #72 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a small but significant update for today. I was really tired of looking at the light cables behind the tank, so I managed to find 10 ft, right angle computer power cords that matched the specs of the lights. This allowed me to reroute the cables to hide them much better. It may be a small improvement, but it made a big difference visually.

post #73 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Does anyone know of a short growing moss I could stick on the tops of my rocks? I would love to get something that has the look of terrestrial moss (short & compact), but will still show the shape and character in the rock. It would also need to be able to tolerate direct, high lighting. The only thing Iíve found that is close is Mini Pellia, but that stuff is both super expensive and hard to find. Iím just trying to get a little bit of an aged look to the tank.

post #74 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 04:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have never used it but Phoenix moss comes to mind.

Dan
post #75 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop; no10312161
Does anyone know of a short growing moss I could stick on the tops of my rocks? I would love to get something that has the look of terrestrial moss (short & compact), but will still show the shape and character in the rock. It would also need to be able to tolerate direct, high lighting. The only thing Iíve found that is close is Mini Pellia, but that stuff is both super expensive and hard to find. Iím just trying to get a little bit of an aged look to the tank.
Fissidens??

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode