Jello's new 125- Pic Heavy- Dealing with BGA =( - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
 82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
I would skip the root tabs myself. Assuming you're planning on dosing nutrients, those nutrients will pass into the substrate and you can keep better control of your levels in case plant deficiency/toxicities develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My thoughts were to try my best to feed the plants while limiting the nutrients in the water column. I was hoping to prevent any new tank syndrome. Do you think this will just make things worse? Both Tropica and ADA recommend very lean dosing for the first month while plants are transitioning to submerged growth. All the plants in the tank are going to be tissue cultured with the exception of the Buce.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

Jello's new 125- Pic Heavy !Hardscape is done!

Putting roots tabs would not really equal lean dosing as it will leech stuff but you can't control it at all. You might as well dose the water column, but lean and ramp up if the plants need it. I don't think it will make things too much worse but it can complicate things if you have issues and it's far more customizable to dose purely through the water column. Most plants, including the ones many call 'root feeders' will be completely fine through purely water column dosing.
To avoid problems early focus on removing any growth that looks bad or dead, it will just foul the water and regular water changes to remove waste organics is also helpful. Having healthy plants (and not dying ones) is one of the main keys to a healthy tank, although that's kind of a no brainer. Plants in bad health are algae magnets, and are really not worth trying to revive in a new tank. Once your tank is mature, sure, but if anything looks quite far gone, cut your losses with it. Something I learnt the hard way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #48 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Putting roots tabs would not really equal lean dosing as it will leech stuff but you can't control it at all. You might as well dose the water column, but lean and ramp up if the plants need it. I don't think it will make things too much worse but it can complicate things if you have issues and it's far more customizable to dose purely through the water column. Most plants, including the ones many call 'root feeders' will be completely fine through purely water column dosing.
To avoid problems early focus on removing any growth that looks bad or dead, it will just foul the water and regular water changes to remove waste organics is also helpful. Having healthy plants (and not dying ones) is one of the main keys to a healthy tank, although that's kind of a no brainer. Plants in bad health are algae magnets, and are really not worth trying to revive in a new tank. Once your tank is mature, sure, but if anything looks quite far gone, cut your losses with it. Something I learnt the hard way.

I'll definitely consider it. I've been using the micro and macro mixes from @nilocg, and haven't quite taken the plunge of dry dosing individual ferts. I wonder if @plantbrain is still around. I would be curious to hear his thoughts.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

post #49 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think Tom is on a new account on here which is just Tom Barr. You can just dose lower amounts of the premixed stuff, like some arbirtray fraction like 1/2 or something of EI.
I think another thing to consider is that ADA in particular advocate for quite lean dosing because Aquasoil is so rich, especially at the start when it's leaching ammonia and stuff. I'm sure Tropica's soil is reasonably nutrient loaded I would assume too.
You may need to up your dosing than what those two recommend since your substrate is inert.

post #50 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
I think Tom is on a new account on here which is just Tom Barr. You can just dose lower amounts of the premixed stuff, like some arbirtray fraction like 1/2 or something of EI.
I think another thing to consider is that ADA in particular advocate for quite lean dosing because Aquasoil is so rich, especially at the start when it's leaching ammonia and stuff. I'm sure Tropica's soil is reasonably nutrient loaded I would assume too.
You may need to up your dosing than what those two recommend since your substrate is inert.

That's a good point about the rich substrates, I never considered that. Hmmm... Thank you for giving me something to think about!

Opare and Opare like this.

post #51 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Jello's new 125- Pic Heavy !Hardscape is done!

No worries, I think a lot of people forget that a lot of ADA techinques are suited to have the whole ADA set in completion more or less. Although Aquasoil is a big part of the whole ADA proccess. If I could do my tank again I probably would've followed similar dosing to what ADA does with their line of fertilisers (although not exactly, because they don't dose PO4 for some reason). It wouldn't be exactly the same but I would try and mimic levels that are around the same, because Aquasoil is really some strong stuff TBH. I dosed quite heavy at the start and had a huge bunch of DHG which was in a bad way to begin with, so don't think larding on the extra nutrients helped. After I replanted with healthier stuff though everything was fine, my regime is reasonably light as well anyway. In hardscape heavy tanks with low plant mass I think lighter regimes are definitely worth considering over heavier stuff, Dennis Wong talked about this in his video.

post #52 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Watch this. This is Dennis Wong. He talks about his dosing in comparison to ei and ada and he talks about how he doses a new tank @ 4:20 https://youtu.be/WxZI8akyxbg

Opare and Opare like this.
post #53 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the link. Great info!

post #54 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The tiger barbs will nip like crazy, especially the long finned fish like angelfish, guppies, and mollies. A word of caution. I've experienced them before and they're better off in a tank of their own. They're cool little fish that are stunning when in a school, but not so cool when they start biting other fish in the tank.

~Tim
post #55 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesometim1 View Post
The tiger barbs will nip like crazy, especially the long finned fish like angelfish, guppies, and mollies. A word of caution. I've experienced them before and they're better off in a tank of their own. They're cool little fish that are stunning when in a school, but not so cool when they start biting other fish in the tank.

I've heard the same, but got a tip once that in a large enough school, they'll ignore tankmates. I've had 6 for a while now with the angel and the guppies, and they never harass any other fish. It's definitely something I'll keep my eyes out for though.

awesometim1 and awesometim1 like this.

post #56 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had some tiger barbs with my red belly piranha, and they did fine. The piranha ignored them.
post #57 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quick update with a photo. Tank is still cycling. I have plenty of Nitrate, and it's been rising daily so I know it's not stalled, but it's been at least a week now and the nitrite eating dudes just can't seem to catch up to the nitrites being produced. This is before a major water change, and I didn't does ammonia to try to let them catch up. I'll have to dose again tomorrow to make sure it doesn't stall.

post #58 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So, the tank is finally cycled and I have plants on order. Iíve purchased:

Large Buce Brownie Purple clumps x2
TC Eleocharis Acicularis x5
TC Staurogyne Repens x5
TC Alternanthera Reineckii Mini x3
Cryptocoryne Crisatula ĎBalansaeí pot x9

The planting day is scheduled for next Friday, and Iím getting pretty stoked!
kyle3, kyle3, Opare and 3 others like this.

post #59 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 03:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

Exciting times !

post #60 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lot and lots (and lots!) of Buce.

harilp, harilp, Tributary and 5 others like this.

Last edited by jellopuddinpop; 05-28-2017 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Formatting

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode