"The RHSC" A 5 Gallon Tank with little direction - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Attackturtle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
"The RHSC" A 5 Gallon Tank with little direction

Started back into the hobby after 15 years with this tank. My plans had been for DHG in the front, S Repens in the middle with Wisteria and a Sword in the rear. Below are just after setup and settle down.

75 F
Azoo Mignon 60
DIY co2 at first
Sand with some root tabs

Things progressed well. I knew I was going to pull and replant my wistaria so a minor goal was to grow it's submerged leaf so I could do this. I heavily added CO2. Had a nice diatom explosion. Everything was awesome.

I did not realize how much my plants loved the fishless cycle. I mean I was cooking you could almost see the plants get bigger if you watched them.

Ending my ammonia and taking out the 80ppm nitrate would affected my plants negatively. I pulled my wisteria to get rid of emersed growth a week before I pulled the fishless cycle ammonia nitrate rich water. Bad move. My wisteria has melted in several areas because of the nitrate change and sudden trim. Some S repens also melted. My sword seems to exist half melted. Im sure everything but the sword will adjust. Just not sure about that sword.

This tank is in my kitchen. I removed the 2 2liter DIY co2 and went with the Fluval co2 system with double bell. I love the bell. It doesn't get me up to 30ppm but I think it is 15-20. I plan to alter my dkh to show a stronger color change at the lower PPM to confirm. It is efficient. I have no CO2 loss and it does not use much to do what I want. Cant gas my fish to death either. I fill it once in the morning and the lower bell once when I get home from work. I would fill them both up midday but I cant get home for lunch everyday.

I have some hair algae but nothing that is not controllable and I am sure I will get rid of it eventually. It houses some cherries, an amano, an oto and some lime endlers. The oto and future otos, endlers, and hopefully my cherry babies will be in my 20 gallon long in a month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161230_184546.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	733306  

Name:	20170102_075342.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	733314  

Name:	20170102_162149.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	733322  

Name:	20170201_193101.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	733330  

Name:	20170315_184646.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	733346  

Pat24601 and Pat24601 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Attackturtle; 03-16-2017 at 12:29 AM. Reason: correct post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 03:31 AM
Algae Grower

I really like it. Nice scape!

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Water Sprite FTW!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170413_191321.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	745537  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode