Current stock list:

Celestial pearl danio (Danio margaritatus) x 6
Lambchop rasbora (Trigonostigma espei) x5
Golden Pencil fish ( Nannostomus beckfordi) x8
Otocinclus x 2
Scarlet badis (dario dario) x3
mystery snail x 4
Salt and Pepper Cory x 8

Hi all, i'm back after a long hiatus from the forums. Very few of you may remember my old 75gal planted tank I had going. Unfortunatly I was going through a foreclosure and the tank was going to be one the last things I moved. Well they guys showed up without a 30 day notice and dumped my fish tank in the front yard middle of winter killing everything and tossed the tank into a rolloff.

Only thing I managed to salvage was a few pieces of drift wood. I think they stole my stand and canopy. I'm actually part of a civil suite against them because i'm not the only person they pulled this on.

I still have the fluval ebi and a fluval edge V set up with some anubius and misc stuff. Edge just has a trio of chili rasbora, oto and a shrimp or two.

anyhow on to the main subject.

My 28gal desktop reef has always been a pain in the but. The stock LED lighting just never seemed to do much for coral growth. Recently i've been pulling a lot of 16 hr shifts at work and the tank really started to decline. Lost a few fish and had a nasty algae explosion. I was tired of looking at it. So on impulse last night I sold off all the inhabitants and cleaned it out.

I still have some additional cleaning to do, going to hit all the coraline algae on the back wall with some CLR tomorrow. I might only run one the pumps as two may be too much flow.

The lighting doesn't look that blue in person but I think it is still in the 14k spectrum. I might look into adding a few red and green Led's. I unplugged two rows of LED last night as I assume the 5 rows was a bit too strong. The 14k will be fine for plant growth i'm sure but not certain as to how fish will look under it.

Pulled my driftwood stump out of the pond and gave it a good boil. Not quite sure if I like it in here or not.

Used to sit on the left side of this tank

As for inhabitants I really like micro fish so will probably go with those again. I had galaxy rasbora, otos, orange zebra otos, chili rasbora, pygmy cories, red pencil fish, micro crabs, several kinds of shrimp and dario hysgenon.

Here's a couple random pictures

speaking of micro fish. I may end up gluing a piece of sponge over the overflow vents to prevent smaller fish and shrimp from going into back sump area. Might need to drill a couple holes through background to prevent tank from overflowing if the sponge gets clogged. If i'm only running one pump I doubt it would be an issue though.

Bump: Here's a couple crappy pics of the ebi and spec V

I need to scrape the glass and stuff

Large piece of anubius free floating that I had trimmed out the shrimp tank. I'm going to use that in the 28gallon.

Last edited by D3monic; 05-02-2017 at 02:24 AM. Reason: change title for update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
nice tank
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
nice tank
Thanks!

Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
E
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Welcome back!
D3monic and D3monic like this.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
Welcome back!
Thanks! already getting excited trying to figure out what plants i'm going to do. I always liked the jungle look. I may do some jungle val, some crypts, anubius and maybe some red ludwigia. Will see what my LFS has. Aquarium adventure near me has a decent selection of aquatic plants.

Debating on what substrate to use. Having difficulty sourcing black diamond blasting sand local. I imagine with dimensions of 18x22x22 that it would take at least 1.5 bags ecocomplete.

Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

E

post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

woah I just read your foreclosure thing and that's horrible! sorry for your loss, I'd on my front porch with a gun or something like bring it!
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
woah I just read your foreclosure thing and that's horrible! sorry for your loss, I'd on my front porch with a gun or something like bring it!
Thanks, yea it really pissed me off. I put a lot of time and money into building that tank not to mention its inhabitants.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Still not sure about the stock lighting. I'd like to keep the hood but can always take it off if I have to. I've never done my own LED lights but I'll start looking on ebay for some in the 6500k range to add. Worse case i'll make a top for the tank and use a t5 or pendant fixture.

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looking at the finnex 24/7 the 20" would only be $66 which isnt too bad. Just not sure how I feel about not having a canopy. Last thing I need is for fish to go carpet surfing or extra light spill reflecting off my gaming monitor. Thanks to the bowed front cutting glass for a top would be difficult.

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I recommend this to everyone but no one actually takes this advice or goes for it. The Fluval Sky is the best light I've ever had on an aquarium and its 100$ (I think).

Bump: I recommend this to everyone but no one actually takes this advice or goes for it. The Fluval Sky is the best light I've ever had on an aquarium and its 100$ (I think).
post #11 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I took some CLR to the backwall, got 99% of the coraline algae off. I got it filled with water and vinegar and running overnight while im at work. Supposed to get into the 20s but should be fine with pumps running

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #12 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I recommend this to everyone but no one actually takes this advice or goes for it. The Fluval Sky is the best light I've ever had on an aquarium and its 100$ (I think).

Bump: I recommend this to everyone but no one actually takes this advice or goes for it. The Fluval Sky is the best light I've ever had on an aquarium and its 100$ (I think).
I measured the top of the tank and it's 18" to outside lips of rim. Looks like the fluval skys smallest model would overhang about 6 inches which is a little too much. Especially since it's on my gaming desk.

I need to do some more research. I do like that the fluval aquasky is a little more waterproof than the 24/7

I switched my water rez from RODI to just RO. Looks like i'm averaging a TDS of 23 which isn't too bad. I'll have to see how much Remineralize I need to get my TDS into the proper range. I used to keep the number of drops written on my water bucket with a fill line. Want to say like 10 drops or so.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #13 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Here is another light, haven't tried this one but reviews seem good https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Aqua-F...fluval+aquasky
Its the AquaFreshPlant, that's a 48" but you can try to find a 12" or so, not sure if they have one just saw the light, researched. amazon-ed, linked lol
here are some others I saw, haven't researched.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019VS4BYM?psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9PAL49?psc=1
post #14 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I may end up getting the aqua sky, looks like the legs can slide inward. I just don't like that it's not waterproof. Maybe i'll cut a piece of glass for the square half the tank and just leave the front bow open. I still have a glass pane in the basement just not overly thick.

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #15 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I've dropped my aquasky in my water once or twice, wiped it off real good. But I didn't know it was water proof lol until now!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode