• 2 Post By irishspy
  • 2 Post By travellife
  • 2 Post By Hephaestus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Spec V

I restarted my low tech spec v a little over two weeks ago.

MODIFICATIONS
1 Current satellite+ (I really like this light and have it on 3 of my tanks)

SUBSTRATE
river gravel (I know! Everyone hates gravel and things don't grow in it, but I like it)
Osmocote plus underneath gravel

CURRENT PLANTS
Crypts (lutea, balansae, retrospiralis was ordered but looks like more balansae)
Golden anubias nana
Various buces
Flame moss
Trident java fern
Hydrocotyle Japan
Monte Carlo
Salvinia minima (courtesy of awesome RAOK from rwaters - thanks again!) - I don't have pictures of this in tank yet because I just added it

CURRENT INHABITANTS
“Pest” snails - bladder snails and mts (courtesy of awesome RAOK from rwaters - thanks again again!)

I will probably put a pea puffer in this tank in the future. There hasn't been that much growth so far in a couple weeks, but I can see a lot of little monte Carlo leaves right below the gravel ready to come through. The java fern has a lot of baby ferns growing probably as a result of the stress it experienced in shipping and now it's growing leaves suitable for my tank. The hydrocotyle has already gotten quite a bit taller. There is the usual crypt melt and regrowth. I like my rocks, especially the one rock that has a bit of an overhanging hook to it that creates a cave. So far I'm happy enough with this restart, but I'm sure there will be changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1539.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	730762  

Name:	IMG_1591.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	730770  

Name:	IMG_1592.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	730778  

Name:	IMG_1594.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	730786  

Name:	IMG_1600.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	730794  

Maclyri, Maclyri, kolet66 and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm really happy with the growth I've gotten so far. The hydrocotyle has grown so much. The Monte Carlo died back a lot at the beginning, but I'm getting some carpeting now and there has been steady new growth. I'm still not dosing anything and no co2. I have to take handfuls of salvinia minima out each week and put it in another tank because it grows so much.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1668.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	750866  

Name:	IMG_1669.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	750874  

Name:	IMG_1670.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	750882  

Name:	IMG_1671.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	750890  

Name:	IMG_1673.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	750898  

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's coming along splendidly!
shhh and shhh like this.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 04:12 AM
Algae Grower

That is a pretty layout. The rocks look great.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
shhh and shhh like this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:57 PM
Algae Grower

Nice looking Spec V! They really are great little tanks.
shhh and shhh like this.

Fluval Spec 5gal: Betta tank(A. nana, M. pteropus, C. Wendtii(?), E. argentinensis)
7.5gal rimless cube - S. repens, L. brasiliensis, A. reineckii "mini", R. wallichii - dry started 3/11, flooded 3/25 - will eventually become a shrimp tank (probably CRS or RCS)
10gal - S. repens, L. brasiliensis, A. reineckii "mini", R. wallichii (left over from 7.5gal dry start), C. wendtii, E. argentinensis
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! It's my fifth layout for a planted tank and each attempt the layouts have definitely improved. I think I'm going to rip off the bunch of java fern on the left and stick it in with the bunch on the right to make more of a separation btwn the big rock with all the crypts and the group of rocks. I want the strip of hydrocotyle to be a little more prominent. I'm just waiting for the java fern babies to grow out bc I'll have to rearrange them anyway.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The hydrocotyle Japan became tall and scrawny, so I eventually removed it. I had forgotten how nice it was in the tank until I looked at this journal. That plant never grows well in my tanks (with no fertilizer or co2). The Monte Carlo is still spreading slowly, so just another 25 years before I have a fully carpeted tank. Overall, I'm very happy with how the tank has been growing in. I'm hoping to get some emerald dwarf rasboras for the tank soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2034.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	822498  

Name:	IMG_2281.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	822506  

Name:	IMG_2331.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	822554  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode