GangGreen's 60gal High-Tech Planted Tank (56k) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Arrow GangGreen's 60gal High-Tech Planted Tank (56k)

This is my first ever high tech planted tank. I have owned 4-5 different tanks, some with plants with decent success. I stumbled across this forum and read enough to get inspired to buy some sweet equipment for a new tank setup. I am trying to do everything I can to do this the right way. This tank has been going for 4 days now. I'm going to drop off my CO2 tank tomorrow to get it filled. I might also stop by the LFS and get some flourish tabs to hold me over until I get my dry ferts. Any tips or feedback are appreciated. Tell me what you think!

Tank:
60 gallon tall.

Lighting:
Coralife 36" with (2) 96 watt bulbs. (1) 10,000k + (1) 6,700k

Equipment:
(2) Rena XP1's with lilly pipes + Inline Hydor 300w heater + Inline Coralife UV Sterilizer Twist 3X + (2) Aqua Clear 70 HOB Filters + Whisper 60gal Air Pump.

Co2:
5-lb. tank + Milwaukee MA957 regulator + American Marine Pinpoint PH controller + needle valve + Aqua Medic 1000 reactor, bubble counter, drop checker.

Substrate:
(1) bag flourite red + (4) 20-lb. bags Eco-Complete Black + (2) 10-lb. bags of black gravel + (1) 10-lb. bag black sand.

Hardscape: Broken peices of natural slate tiles.

Others: (2) Digital timer powerstrips each with 2 daytime and 2 night time outlets.

Plants: Currently only Ludwiga, Hair Grass, Pennywort, Wisteria. Many more on the way.

On the way here...LED rope moonlight, Heater controller with probe, Magnetic glass probe holder, Dry ferts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

everything sitting ready to go

CO2 regulator and inline CO2 reactor

Lilly pipes

Rena XP1 filters, timer powerstrips, hydor 300w heater, UV sterilizer, ph controller

Last edited by GangGreen; 10-13-2010 at 06:57 AM. Reason: pictures fixed
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

adding the flourite red mixed with one bag of black gravel

Pieces of slate tile

2 bags Eco-complete and the other bag of black gravel

I ran out of substrate without achieving the look I was going for. So I decided I would fill it anyway and test everything for leaks. Then go to the LFS and pick up 2 more bags of Eco-complete tomorrow.

Playing around with the air pump.

Last edited by GangGreen; 10-13-2010 at 07:09 AM. Reason: pictures fixed

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

the scape looks good. different from everything else on here

-SF Giants WS champs-
Haters gonna Hate
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:42 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Everything looks good. One thing to consider is that the airstones will off-gas your CO2.

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I picked up 2 more bags of Eco-complete and what I thought was another bag of black gravel, but is actually black sand. But I like it so I'm gonna use it. I drained the tank all the way to the substrate and added the extra that I just bought. I wanted the slate to be mostly covered with substrate and to serve the purpose of keeping foreground plants where I want them. I have order Echinodorus Tenellus and HC to fill out the foreground. I also planted the few plants I picked up form the local fish store that were in pots.

The tank looked like this for 3 days. Then I bought a few fish to begin the cycling process. I have already added a little water from my 25-gal. to help kickstart it though. Anyways I bought (6) Serpae Tetras and (4) small platies.

Last edited by GangGreen; 10-13-2010 at 07:19 AM.
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Someone else is also happy about me having a tank again.

Last edited by GangGreen; 10-13-2010 at 07:23 AM. Reason: pictures fixed
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks TeamTeal and CL. I was planning on using the air pump at night when the main lights go out. The CO2 is on a solenoid that's plugged into one of the timers. I thought the air stones I got might look cool with the moonlight I ordered but the pump may be a little too strong. I was planning on the two hang on the back filters to turn on at night too. During the day with the CO2 on the only filtration would be the two Rena XPs with lilly pipes.

I also have some black carbon filter pads I want to wrap around those 2 ugly filter inlets, so they are not such eyesores.
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

that tank looks really big next to your computer screen :P

-SF Giants WS champs-
Haters gonna Hate
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Looks like a great start. And looks very nice. I love the equipment.
Eventually the sand substrate will fall to the bottom, and out of visibility.

Remind me what Ganggreen is, sounds familiar.
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's funny TeamTeal, I thought my cat looked really big next to the computer screen.

Thanks Nue, GangGreen is a play on words that comes from me being a huge University of Oregon Football fan and season ticket holder (Gang Green is an old nickname for the '94 defense) and in hoping this tank will eventually become a lush green underwater garden.

Last edited by GangGreen; 08-16-2010 at 08:43 AM.
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
ha ha ok, I was thinking of gangrene..... had to look it up lol
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I got my CO2 tank filled and had my first full day of CO2 injection and the few plants seemed very happy.

All 4 plants were pearling like crazy when I got home.

And the drop checker which was blue when I left for work is now a light green just like I had anticipated. But is anyone familiar with the white stuff gathering at the base of it? Did I install it wrong? I just placed it in the tank last night.

I got my moonlight today too and hooked it up. I really like how it looks. It's not as bright as it looks in the picture. I got it from jebostore.com
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So the tank has been going for 1 week now and all the fish seem to be doing fine. I have been doing my water tests and everything seems normal. I added a few plants from my other tank because the tank looked so bare and I had clippings I was going to throw out otherwise. Java fern and another plant I've had for years that I don't know the name of.

The original grass all seems to be dying but it seems to be growing new blades of grass I think. Not as fast as I would have thought though.

The plants that I got from the local fish store had some algae that I have been trying to remove manually instead of using chemicals. I bought 2 ghost shrimp to help with the algae.

One of the shrimp is pregnant. Is there anything I should do to help the babies survive? I plan on using some black carbon sheets to cover the filter inlets. And more plants are on the way for cover.

Pictures of my other tank I stole plants from.
2 Months Ago:

Current: After robbing of plants.

Non CO2 low light 25gal. Current inhabitants. (12) neon tetras, (2) SAE's, (2) Cory's, who knows how many guppies. I have been trying top get rid of them and separate them. I have someone who wants them I just need to take them to him. I might throw a few of them in my 60gal but not to breed.
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
Tank looks good. Wont the eco complete fall in between the crack of the flourite? I like the website thats up on your computer lol.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode