• 6 Post By Warbler
  • 2 Post By PEdwards
  • 4 Post By Warbler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
ADA 60P-Baby's First High Tech

Hello! I've started several tanks over the years, but mostly just low tech set ups. Finally this year I have enough money to actually set up a halfway decent looking tank (except I can't look at my bank account anytime in the next several months ).

Exhaustive EquipmentList

Tank ADA 60P
Filter Sunsun HW 304
LightEcoxotic E-Series 24"
CO2 GLA GRO-1 (I think) on a 2.5 lb
No fish or plants yet
Wood and rocksRandom granite rocks from LFS, "Caspian Wood"/some sort of driftwood
Stand Craigslist nightstand painted grey

Here's what the tank looks like empty (with the bag of aquasoil below as I was about to dump it in):
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0298.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	730490
I really like the stand. It's solid wood, and I got it off Craigslist for 30 bucks! The solid wood definitely helps, because it doesn't have the most solid design. But I think it will be OK for only a 20 gallon. All it needed was a new coat of paint! Thankfully it was already two toned when I got it because I would have never thought to do that, I think it looks quite nice! I did change the colours though. It was originally a much darker shade of grey with the white-I think the lighter grey will be better to blend in with the tank.

Here are a couple of scape ideas I had with this tank:

Name:	IMG_0302.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	730498

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	730506

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	730514

I think I like the second scape the best. But I also feel like it's missing something. I feel like I need to go back to the LFS and pick out some smaller rocks to balance out the bigger ones. I would love any suggestions...I'm not the best scaper in the world for sure.

I do like the placements in the second picture though. I was planning on leaving that section between the two piles empty and stream like perhaps. Some mid level plants to the right rights, some background plants right behind the wood and some moss generously piled about, and with a carpet...I can already see it.

One thing I'm not too stoked about is the lighting. You can see in the second picture there is a shadow 2/3 way caused by the light...but I'm no sure if lifting it would be worth the extra effort. You can see in the first picture that there isn't really a shadow. I used a light I had on a 5 gallon (powerful little thing!) to see if it would mitigate it, and it totally did. I might get another for this tank...but then I'd have two lights hanging out on the tank. Also not sure if at that point I'd rather get a second/more powerful light anyways.

I will be dry starting the tank though, so now I just need to order plants, get them, and plant them! I'm pumped!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 12:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
The wood has some nice spaces at the bottom for rocks to go under. Filling them in will help with stability and make the wood look like it grew around the rocks for a more natural feel.
johnson18 and johnson18 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the suggestion (about a month ago hahaha). Life got crazy busy for me with finals and all that! But I've finally returned to this tank. I've redone the rock scape and I am much more pleased with it:

Name:	IMG_0332[1].jpg
Views:	30
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	741394

The rocks on the right are still a bit iffy to me....but I think I could make it work with some creative plant choices.

I also decided to do a dry start method. I ordered two cups of dwarf hairgrass but only really needed to use one! It's been a week since planting and I might just use the other cup to add *more* hairgrass I suppose! There is also some rotala in the back right as you can see from this hastily taken side shot. You can't really see much from the front because of condensation (not in a photo anyways).

Name:	IMG_0337[1].jpg
Views:	30
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	741402

I planted Friday the 31st and obviously not a lot happening...though I can see some small tendrils of root growth in the plant I put in the very front of the tank! Very excited for how this is turning out. I feel like when I sink it I'll want to put some crypts by those rocks on the right, behind the hairgrass but in front of the rotala.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

looks nice
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 01:07 AM
Planted Member

Looking awesome.

-DAN

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hello! It's been a while. Plants have been growing in nicely. Figured I would do a bit of an update!

Here are two rather underwhelming pictures of the hairgrass and the rotala during week 2:

Name:	week2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	764145

Name:	week2b.jpg
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	764153

Though my rather lofty goal was to take pictures weekly I kind of forgot to! Life got in the way a bit. So here is week 4 instead:

Name:	week4.jpg
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	764161

Name:	week4a.jpg
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	764169

And then week 8:

Name:	week8a.jpg
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	764177

Name:	week8b.jpg
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	764185

Name:	week8.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	764193

And that brings us to week 11:

Name:	week11a.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	764201

Name:	week11b.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	764209

I'd say it's looking pretty good! I am sorely tempted to fill it already...but I want to wait until the end of the month since I am going on a weeklong trip this month and don't want to bother my parents with making sure nothing horrible happens! Very excited though. It's beginning to look really good! Though it might look better in real life than in the pictures.

The rotala especially, I'm really pleased with how it looks in the corner there, though I hope when I start dosing and adding CO2 it'll gain more of a red colour. I have a coffefolia anubis I'm thinking of placing somewhere since it's currently just languishing in my low light "spare plants" tank but not sure where (though on that note, if anybody wants about a hundred baby java ferns, I am getting overrun!). I'm almost thinking of putting it in that spare upper left corner nestled in the rocks/wood. It would look good once it fills out! The biggest problem is the poor anubias is covered in algae and with all the precautions I've taken to prevent that I'll have to scour the plant or something!

I'll probably post again in a month once the tank is filled and there is something more to report!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: Filled the tank!

Just when I thought this tank couldn't get more exciting, it looks way nicer when I filled it! At first I was somewhat devastated when I filled the tank and my scape kind of fell apart....but it looks great after fixing it up a bit to be like the original! I've been running the CO2 at about 3-4 bps. I still need to get a CO2 indicator but I think I'll be more worried about that once I actually want to stock the thing.

Here is day 1 of the fill:

Then here it is a few days after:

The rotala was turning pink/red in that pic!! I was so excited! It looked really good and felt good to have a plant grow properly with the right equipment instead of kind of just floundering.
Here it is today:

And close up of my rotalas:

The rotalas are turning this kind of rusty orange along with some red though...not a huge fan of that. Hopefully the rust colour is just a transition between a true red or something. But everything is growing great. I think the rotalas have grown an inch between the fill and not which is cool. I might have to trim them soon! Also, the hairgrass is really spreading out nicely and has also had a growth spurt since filling the tank. I want to wait for it to really fill out the tank before I touch it though.

I've decided on putting in that coffefolia anubias on the left. I placed it there during the dry start to see how it would look and it will look good once it fills out. The only problem is that it's covered in algae...I need a good way to get rid of that without killing the plant.

I ordered ferts off of GLA so I will have fun figuring out EI dosing in a few days. Not really looking forward to that bit. Especially since I got a new "fish" (pictured below) so my time might be limited for a while until we figure out each other's routines.

Last edited by Warbler; 07-08-2017 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Wrong picture
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well it's certainly been a while. I just need to post here because I just experienced a huge frustration. I was doing something by the tank this morning when I noticed a few upside down fish. Upon closer inspection they were all still breathing just upside down, and the rest of the fish in the tank were gasping for air at the top. I found a few pieces of fish jerky out the sides of the tank too after one narrow wedge rasbora jumped for it. I checked my CO2 tank and it was going in red-looks like it was an end of tank dump which I thought wasn't possible with a double staged system like GLA's that I had. My ammonia had spiked up to .25 (just did a tank clean two days ago so not sure why?) and everything else was fine. Maybe it was the ammonia??

I put my apisogramma agasizii fired red in a running empty planted tank to ensure they will survive while I fix things with the tank. Of course I come back an hour later and I cannot find my gorgeous male. Find him firmly wedged in a small hole in the driftwood. Cut him out of there and he's dead. I'm devastated. He and his mate cost 50 dollars and they were the first really pricy fish I have ever owned. But of course the monetary value doesn't matter a whole bunch I guess, I just put so much time and effort into all these fish, and of course I had spent so much time researching and choosing out this pair, and loving watching them swim through the tank. And Fire Reds are so beautiful. I am so bummed out. And of course right after Christmas when I don't want to go out and spend money to restock the tank. At least some narrow wedge and some embers survived.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode