Timwag2001 125g - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By timwag2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Timwag2001 125g

It's here. Went and picked up my 125g yesterday. I got a heck of a deal on it though the tank is a little beat up. It was drilled at the bottom and patched up with acrylic and a ton of silicone. The corners have been resiliconed at one point and there is a chip in the glass all the way up at the top of the tank where the plastic rim is, and it does go all of the way through. With that being said I'm going to keep it out in my garage where I'm not too worried about damage in case the tank fails or it leaks. I'm going to fill it up tomorrow when the weather warms up a little and check for leaks.

Its not the nicest place but I do spend a lot of time out there so I dont mind too bad. Going to have to build the bench up a little bit to hold the weight.

I'm still a bit up in the air as to what I'm doing with the tank. I have a few ideas as far as the scape but have no firm decision as to what I'm going to do with anything from the substrate to the filter. I found a couple of old eheims kicking around so thats probably what I'll start with. I also have 2 48" t5ho fixtures that I can stagger on top for the time being. The guy that I bought it from gave me a bunch of the blasting cap sand. I'll probably look into mineralizing some topsoil, mix it with a little peat, and putting that down first and possibly topping that off with of the black sand mixed with flourite or something.

If its water proof I'll paint the back of it black tomorrow too.

Wish me luck!
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

Timothy Wagner
Aquascape Fanatic and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 12:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Good job! I found my 125 on craigslist as well. Dirt capped in sand is what I would recommend. Just find some organic top soil, it's mostly peat anyway iirc. Your 48" fixtures, staggered, will do fine as well. I have a single finnex 24/7 48" light over mine for the sunrise effect and it spans nearly the whole tank by itself. I would consider adding some glass bracing where that chip is, just an option. The silicone bottom should be fine, even with acrylic. This would be a good project tank for a sump! Just saying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
LAME!!!

Did a leak test and the acrylic that is siliconed down to cover the sump holes is leaking. Have to figure out how to get it off, clean it then seal it up properly.

Timothy Wagner
Aquascape Fanatic and

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode