• 2 Post By PEdwards
  • 2 Post By PEdwards
  • 4 Post By PEdwards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Super Simple Setup 2 - A Joyous Mess

SSS2 originally started as a holding tank for plants I got from the nursery to use in tanks at work but ended up having no room for. After a rescape of the 80 gallon all the moss I had to remove got tossed in there to live or die. One day while preparing some of the moss to grow in trays I got the bright idea to take a rock I had in a bucket and see if the leftover moss would grow on it. Not wanting to spend a load of time doing the whole tying down with thread thing or pissing my wife off by stinking up the place using the yogurt method I just threw some of the moss in a small blender, coated the rock and tossed it in.

Once it was clear the moss was growing I grabbed a few more rocks, got them soaking wet, pressed some wet moss to the rock so it would stick, and tossed them in the tank in some semblance of order. More rocks were mossed and added over time when I wanted something aquatic to tool around with. There's no rhyme or reason to it except to make sure the rocks fit somehow. Eventually I got the bright idea to do a scape that was primarily mossed rocks in a semi-cobblestone arrangement with Crypts growing in the spaces between. Substrate will be added at some point in the far future when time, space, and money permits a full submergent setup for shrimp. At that point I'll decide if I want to use both species of Crypt or take one out. Adding some hairgrass might be fun to give it an old abandoned stone path feeling. Until then it's just rock, potted Crypts, and water. Once the moss looks like it'll survive with a lower water level I'll moss up some smaller rocks for the front and call it good.

It turns out this is a great, and very lazy, way to use a little bit of moss to cover a lot of rock for use in larger aquascapes. I may try doing this on the deck when it warms up a bit more.

My Mossing Method:
  1. Throw any thread, mesh, or glue in the trash or misc. aquarium crap bucket.
  2. Get the rock nice and wet.
  3. Grab a hunk of moss, tear off a small portion, spread it into a super thin mat, then press it gently to the rock where you want coverage.
  4. Put rock in tank.
  5. Spray the tank liberally with tap or tank water and (re)cover.
  6. Ignore

Specs-
  • 10ish gallon sample tank from work
  • 2x 6 watt 8000K LED fixtures on between 8-10 hours a day when I remember to turn them on and off.
  • No filter, substrate, CO2, or fert mixes
  • C. wendtii 'Tropica/Bronze', C. undulata, and Java Moss

Maintenance is irregular and as simple as it gets; the moss in front gets pulled out and rinsed and the water gets shop-vacced out when I think about it. Sometimes it's every week sometimes it's not. In between water changes everything gets a good spray with tank water when I remember.

3.3.17-

Original rock, approx 1 month of growth

Second round of rocks, approx 2 weeks of growth

Third round of rocks, less than a week of growth

Whole shebang

Thanks for watching,
Phil

Last edited by PEdwards; 04-02-2017 at 03:54 PM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

3.16.17 photo dump-

I'm heading out for a work trip until the 26th and am leaving all the tanks in the care of my wife. I figured it would be a wise thing to get some before-trip and after-trip pictures. I trust her ability to follow directions and am not worried about some disaster from lack of care, but I do want to record what happens when I'm gone for that length of time.

Full tank

First mossed rock after a month

Three weeks of growth

After cleaning, some re-arranging, and adding new smaller mossed rocks almost a week ago. I'll be keeping the water level lower to accomodate the smaller rocks and keep the wabi kusa from getting too wet.The big rocks on the right were mossed about two weeks ago now.

Taken this morning

That's it folks. I'll have my laptop with me during the trip so you'd better not have a big party and trash the place.

Cheers,
Phil
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This is really cool, subbed btw. Are you planning to put shrimp in here? If so what kind(s)? Also will you plant those crypts or nah?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEdwards View Post
Eventually I got the bright idea to do a scape that was primarily mossed rocks in a semi-cobblestone arrangement with Crypts growing in the spaces between. Substrate will be added at some point in the far future when time, space, and money permits a full submergent setup for shrimp. At that point I'll decide if I want to use both species of Crypt or take one out. Adding some hairgrass might be fun to give it an old abandoned stone path feeling. Until then it's just rock, potted Crypts, and water. Once the moss looks like it'll survive with a lower water level I'll moss up some smaller rocks for the front and call it good.
Regular cherry shrimp when the time comes. I mass murder the poor little bugs and need to figure out how to keep them before going with any of the more expensive varieties. This will eventually become the breeding bordello to supply the main display with shrimp.

Cheers,
Phil
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

4.2.17 Update and Photo Dump-

A lot's changed in SSS1 and SSS2. My boss wants to do a new tank at work and that means a fish order, which means I get free shrimp. On top of that, I scored a nice double bubble counter regulator that will feed both SSS1 and SSS2. But wait, there's more! Seachem sent me some Flourish Advance to try out. I hadn't planned on making any significant changes to either tank for a while, but the combination of circumstances sort of forced my hand. SSS1 got flooded and SSS2 got totally redone and will stay dry for a while longer.

Changes to SSS2- took everything out, wiped down the glass with a dilute Excel solution to take care of the cyano which was starting to grow, put in some substrate, rearranged the rocks, and planted everything. Thanks to a full redo of the main display and Dennerle for giving me some TC plants to try I was able to add a bunch of Bucephalandra motelyana and a little E. pusillia and HC. These species fit the idea of making the tank look like an old forgotten stone road where lots of different plants are growing up between the mossy rocks. I was happy with it before, but I'm in love with it now.

Species currently in there:
C. wendtii 'Bronze'
C. usteriana
E. pusilla
B. motelyana
H. callitrichoides
V. dubyana, or whatever plain old Java Moss is called these days

Maintenance- Daily spray with a dilute solution of Flourish Advance for the past couple of days. It was getting tank water sprays, but I want to see how the Advance stimulates root growth. The substrate's relatively thin compared to what I usually do and I want the Crypts to throw down an extensive root system before putting water in there.

Pictures!!!

Even though I've only had it going for a couple of days, I'm pleased with the regulator. It's perfect for these two tanks.

There was no real planting plan. The only design intent was to fill in the spaces between the rocks with a good intermixing of species. The whole concept is that nature has taken over and all the plants are coming up between the stones in a joyous mess. Other than cutting back the Crypts when it comes time to flood it, I'm not sure how much trimming I'll end up doing. When things get too overgrown I'll probably just do a grab-and-tug to open up space and let the plants grow in as they will.
Opare, Opare, BettaBettas and 1 others like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode