Aaron's Aquatics - Shrimp Time! - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
It's funny how you can set up 2 aquariums the exact same way and only have issues with one!

I'm not sure if the swing would be that great of a difference, but I do know that if you want to keep the parameters good for long term without switching out the substrate, then you don't want to add any KH to the tank. These buffering substrates are only supposed to be good for approximately a year, less with KH. I've heard of some people who have their tanks going strong with the same substrate for about 2 years!

If/when doing water changes, it doesn't hurt to drip acclimate the new water back in so there isn't any sudden change in parameters.

Seen a few people who only clean the front of the aquarium of algae and leave the rest for the shrimp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Seen a few people who only clean the front of the aquarium of algae and leave the rest for the shrimp!
wink wink
Zoidburg and Zoidburg like this.
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

4/10/2017 - Dream Blue Velvet Update
  • Shrimp have been ordered!
  • Leaves added to aquarium
  • Advice wanted: Little scud looking things in the blue velvet tank. Looking for advice

https://youtu.be/eU77RHTSxNk

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:17 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (34/100%)
You've got some awesome videos!
The little "scuds" are seed shrimp, harmless to shrimp, just an annoyance.. fish love to eat them though!
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAquarist View Post
You've got some awesome videos!
The little "scuds" are seed shrimp, harmless to shrimp, just an annoyance.. fish love to eat them though!
Thanks!

The smallest shrimp in this tank are 2cm~ juvies. Would you think a fancy guppy male or neon/cardinal tetra could eat one?
Zoidburg and Zoidburg like this.
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (34/100%)
They might, so maybe wait another week or so until the shrimp are larger...
Also might want to decrease your feeding, as seed shrimp are a sign of overfeeding.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

First... FINALLY! Been waiting for an update! LOL

Second...
this causes a lot of confusion, but over-feeding doesn't equate to pests in the aquarium. It might cause a population boom in said "pests" (seed shrimp, copepods, nematodes, snails, limpets, etc), but overfeeding in and of itself does not cause these pests to suddenly appear.

aka If they aren't there in the first place, then overfeeding doesn't result in these pests suddenly appearing. Far too many people word it incorrectly and this causes confusion.

I've heard mixed opinions about seed shrimp. Some people don't like them as they can compete with the shrimp over food. Some say that they may attack newly molted shrimp and kill them.

My personal experience is, oddly, at one. After a year of having a tank set up, and having *MULTIPLE* pests, seed shrimp, planaria and hydra were some of the few I didn't have... but a year later, I found ONE seed shrimp. Just one! Removed from aquarium and into a tiny container, kept water in it, and then life got a little crazy and well... it didn't get water... so no more seed shrimp!

Going the fishless route of attempting to get rid of them, you could always purchase or make a trap of some sort, bait it and then remove and clean each morning before putting it back into the tank.

Or maybe try some pygmy cories once the baby shrimp are larger? Hit or miss whether or not the cories will eat the shrimp, but best bet would be the pygmy cories since they're smaller... and the cories would dig around in the substrate looking for food.

Third... can't wait to see the new shrimp!
Byronyk and Byronyk like this.
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update 4/12/2017 - Bloody Mary Shrimp Unboxing!
  • Unboxed new shrimp!
  • Got a special gift
  • Talking about the future

https://youtu.be/oOv1ghIXyVc
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 07:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Just to reiterate, avoid adding KH as it'll cause a swing in pH (as was already mentioned in comments), and it can cause the substrate to lose it's buffering capacity sooner...

Also, like another comment mentioned, it could be Purigen you are seeing in the bottom of the bags. Maybe even Purigen and eggs!

It's great that you've had a good experience with Joe's Aquarium's! Spoke with someone else who didn't have a good experience, but then again, you can't please everyone.... and Joe also sells imported shrimp...

I'd recommend feeding your Bloody Mary shrimp Kordon Rid Ich Plus just to be on the safe side...

https://www.discobee.com/blogs/news/...how-to-cure-it

The crystal shrimp should be fine! No need to treat them!
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Just to reiterate, avoid adding KH as it'll cause a swing in pH (as was already mentioned in comments), and it can cause the substrate to lose it's buffering capacity sooner...

Also, like another comment mentioned, it could be Purigen you are seeing in the bottom of the bags. Maybe even Purigen and eggs!

It's great that you've had a good experience with Joe's Aquarium's! Spoke with someone else who didn't have a good experience, but then again, you can't please everyone.... and Joe also sells imported shrimp...

I'd recommend feeding your Bloody Mary shrimp Kordon Rid Ich Plus just to be on the safe side...

https://www.discobee.com/blogs/news/...how-to-cure-it

The crystal shrimp should be fine! No need to treat them!
That article was very interesting, and slightly scary lol. So he mixed snowflake/pelleted barley with a common ich medication, separated the shrimp out and fed them this over a course of time. Seems straight forward, but I wish I knew about that prior to putting all of the neo's into the tank yesterday xD
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You can actually treat the entire tank.

Chaz tested this out on clearly infected shrimp first, then later on, treated an entire colony, and the colony has been infection free since! Of course, he did move the colony as well.

Hopefully, none of your shrimp are infected! I have come across a couple of people that bought shrimp, they appeared healthy and fine, and 3-6 months down the road, they start finding infected shrimp.... others find the infection right off the bat and others never have any issues!

Someone else purchased some from the first seller you got shrimp from (AA) and started treatment last night as they have visibly infected shrimp...

Treatment is for precautionary reasons. Bloody Mary's are nice shrimp! It would suck to have that parasite show up in a tank... My SO actually picked out an infected shrimp from a store but the shrimp was never introduced to the colony and she died infected. That was prior to knowing the best method for treatment. (Chaz was keeping it hush hush!) And there are a *LOT* of possible ways to get rid of the parasite! So far, it seems as if Chaz's method is the most reliable.

Caridinas never get the parasite, even when kept with infected Neos, so it is very clearly a Neo specific parasite.
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
You can actually treat the entire tank.

Chaz tested this out on clearly infected shrimp first, then later on, treated an entire colony, and the colony has been infection free since! Of course, he did move the colony as well.
Are you implying you can treat the entire colony within the main display tank, or are you still removing them in a secondary tank? I'm a little confused from your wording about moving the colony.
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 04:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You can do either way, although since they are already within the tank, it's a good idea to treat them inside the tank as I doubt you have any plans on moving them...

My experience is limited with this parasite though, and as Chaz does have more experience you may want to consider contacting him directly about preventative treatment.

https://www.elevateshrimp.com/

The only main concern I see... do you only feed them medicated food, or do you feed them medicated food and dose the water column? I'm not sure if one is sufficient, or if both need to be done. I know he did both measures just to be safe.
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
The only main concern I see... do you only feed them medicated food, or do you feed them medicated food and dose the water column? I'm not sure if one is sufficient, or if both need to be done. I know he did both measures just to be safe.
Well I just got the shrimp, so I don't do either (yet)! For my 55g, when I had an issue with fungus I dosed the water column. Considering my shrimp tanks don't run carbon, medications seem a whole lot easier haha.
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 05:51 PM
Algae Grower

...just popping in to say we love your videos. Keep up the good work.
Byronyk and Byronyk like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode