55g, Now a Full Dutch - The Planted Tank Forum
 77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
55g, Now a Full Dutch

So, this is my third journal. I do not care for my other 2, as they were uninformative and lacked detail. The tank also looked like trash, so here we are with a NEW LAYOUT!
Equipment:
-55g, w/ stand
- Eco Complete Substrate
- SunSun hw-302 (Fine floss, bio balls, Purigen)
- 5lb co2 Cylinder
- Azoo co2 regulator
- Here is the good stuff:
2x BML 10000k Planted XB 48" lights
I got these for $100 each off Craigslist, total steal!
The 10000k Spectrum is not 10000k, it is just the name, it is more of a 6500k fixture, like the Dutch, but less reds.
Flora:
- Rotala Ramosoir 'Sunset'
- Lobelia Cardinalis "small Form"
- Rotala Macrandra mini type IV
- Ludwigia Brevipes
- Pogostemon Erectus
- Eleocharis Acicularis
- AR Mini
- Ludwigia Arcuata
- Ludwigia Pantanal (I hope it grows, new plant!)
- Ludiwgia Red
- Blyxa Japonica
-Pogostemon Octopus (Grows an inch a day)
- Hydrocotyle Japan (mini variety)
-Staurogyne Repens
Fauna
- 5 Neon tetras
- 1 Bolivian Ram
- 7 Pristella tetras
- 3 Bronze Corys
- 2 SAE
- 1 Male Betta
- 3 Rummynose tetras (Others died )
- 7 Praecox Rainbows
- 4 Otos
- 1 BN pleco
- Hundreds of Pond snails
Water Stats
- GH 11
- KH 7
- Ph 7.8
- Phosphate - 5 PPM (Tank), Nitrate 0 PPM (Tap) 30 PPM (Tank.
Picture Time! - Incremental growth, about a week between each picture

Feel Free to leave feedback, criticism is welcomed!

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sohankpatel; 08-01-2017 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Changed image host
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I like the left portion of the tank, looks like a total dutch! but on the right side, the Pogostemon Octopus I think gets in the way to much. I suggest replacing or trimming that Way down and planting something else (green) in its place or beside/in front of it
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
I like the left portion of the tank, looks like a total dutch! but on the right side, the Pogostemon Octopus I think gets in the way to much. I suggest replacing or trimming that Way down and planting something else (green) in its place or beside/in front of it
Yeah, right now I am searching for a replacement for it. I have a diagonal scape, more foreground on the left, down to little on the right, but the ocotopus is a stupidly fast grower. and it overwhelms the right.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

Ooo very jealous of your lights and the species you managed to get! Excited to see this fill out more.
I agree with Betta the right sIde could use a bit more variety, but I think you have picked up on that.
On a side note I think you are the only other active member who is about my age on here hahaha. But hey its us that will keep the hobby going in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adamant and Adamant like this.

post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's some nice weekly improvement. 55s are really hard to aquascape with their narrow front to back dimension, but it looks like you're getting the hang of it. Keep it up!
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
Feel Free to leave feedback, criticism is welcomed!
Looks Great! As I mentioned in your last journal, I think a background would make a big difference. For instance, a solid black aquarium backer would help camouflage the pumps and spray bar and really make your plants POP! It would hide the chair rail and help to add depth to the aquascape. First I would Windex the glass. Looks tight back there, may need to rubberband some paper towels to a wooden spoon or something and spend a few minutes cleaning up the water marks. Then simply tape some backer/ foamboard/ black plastic back there and boom! It's a pretty easy thing to do and I think it would turn your good looking tank into a jaw dropper

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
Looks Great! As I mentioned in your last journal, I think a background would make a big difference. For instance, a solid black aquarium backer would help camouflage the pumps and spray bar and really make your plants POP! It would hide the chair rail and help to add depth to the aquascape. First I would Windex the glass. Looks tight back there, may need to rubberband some paper towels to a wooden spoon or something and spend a few minutes cleaning up the water marks. Then simply tape some backer/ foamboard/ black plastic back there and boom! It's a pretty easy thing to do and I think it would turn your good looking tank into a jaw dropper
I want a really deep, solid black background, what is a good material to use. Painting is not an option as it is already set up. Do you have any ideas?

post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 04:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Most fish shops sell aquarium background by the linear foot. A common one is black on one side, blue on the other. Just make sure you get one tall enough as they come in different heights. Black foamboard usually costs more, but works too. Its sold at Staples, Walmart, etc for presentations/ projects. Even cutting a black trashbag/ contractor bag could work but may have visible folds in it.
My #1 choice (besides paint which is out) would be the store bought aquarium backer. Just cut to fit and tape the corners with little pieces of scotch tape.

https://www.amazon.com/9092-Fish-Bac...ium+background

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 05:05 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I want a really deep, solid black background, what is a good material to use. Painting is not an option as it is already set up. Do you have any ideas?
I ran my tanks for years without a black background, and once a friend of mine talked me into trying it, I have never went back. Check out my journal(Its is in my signature) to see my 40b with black backing.

Check out my first ever Planted Tank!

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcdaniel0 View Post
I ran my tanks for years without a black background, and once a friend of mine talked me into trying it, I have never went back. Check out my journal(Its is in my signature) to see my 40b with black backing.
What did you use for the background. I was looking at black felt, because it is do dark and doesnt reflect light.

post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 05:55 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
What did you use for the background. I was looking at black felt, because it is do dark and doesnt reflect light.

I believe this is what I used.

Blue Life USA Water Colors Aquarium Background - 48 x 30 Inch Black - Marine Depot

Check out my first ever Planted Tank!

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Black poster board works really good, I've always used it on my tanks. Only cost $1 for a sheet at Walmart, and you need 2 for a 55, so $2 as opposed to $10+ for a black "aquarium background".

Beautiful tank btw.

Sent from my Moto Z using Tapatalk
sohankpatel and sohankpatel like this.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

also if your up for even more differentiated constructive criticism, I got some more.
The stocking I just noticed in that tank, guppies, could be better since its such a good looking tank! you'd want good looking fish to, (guppies IMO are the lowest level to me, coloration on them IMO looks fake as all get out) maybe some emperor tetras so the blue constants against the other colors of the tank. maybe a large school of cardinals or something. idk, stocking could be better IMO, hope you benefited from this comment lol
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:46 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (125/100%)
I had regular black poster board on the 75, the thin stuff not the foam board. Scotch tape

Tank looks to be off to a great start. Nice!

post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
also if your up for even more differentiated constructive criticism, I got some more.
The stocking I just noticed in that tank, guppies, could be better since its such a good looking tank! you'd want good looking fish to, (guppies IMO are the lowest level to me, coloration on them IMO looks fake as all get out) maybe some emperor tetras so the blue constants against the other colors of the tank. maybe a large school of cardinals or something. idk, stocking could be better IMO, hope you benefited from this comment lol
Lol, I actually like guppies, they have a great level of activity and I enjoy being able to breed them with no special treatment. I am broke at the moment, so even if I wanted new fish, I couldnt get them .

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
I had regular black poster board on the 75, the thin stuff not the foam board. Scotch tape

Tank looks to be off to a great start. Nice!
Your 75 was what made me stop trying to have some kind of "category" like aquatic garden, or full dutch. I saw what you did and really liked it, so I decided to have a similar style. I don't know that it is quite up there yet, but I am glad you liked it. Since I drew inspiration from you, what do you suggest for the right side, octopus is kind of going insane, but I am at a loss as how to go about rescaping that area.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode