10gal psuedo-journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Troy McClure
10gal psuedo-journal

Hey all, I'm still pretty new here, so I thought I'd post some pictures documenting the progress of my 10gal. This tank is somewhat of a test because I am -slowly- building an 85gal which will be totally planted.

8-28-04 | Original full planting:

I was using DIY CO2 with a poorly designed reactor. It was pretty efficient, but way too much work and made too much noise. Plants include Ludwigia repens x. "Palustris", Anubias barteri v. nana, Cryptocoryne lutea, Rotala indica, Lilaeopsis novea-zealandiae, and Ceratopterus thalictroides.

A few weeks ago:

The lilaeopsis in the front started out nice, but continually declined. It would have been really nice to grow it in, but my impatience coupled with lack of growing information and experience on this species made it pretty much doomed from the begining. In this picture it has been replaced with Eleocharis parvulus, aka 'dwarf hairgrass.' This is actually what I wanted from the start but finding it proved to be exceedingly difficult. On the right side of the tank, the water sprite has been replaced with Hygrophila difformis which was purchased by accident...it's far too large for a small tank. It's now floating in the 29gal.
The white thing floating on the surface is ice to keep the tank cool. I'll eventually get around to adding some fans to the canopy.
See the algae on the crypt? grrr....

10-29-04 | Prior to new plants:

Rotala indica, Hygrophila difformis are removed (rotala saved in a bucket for replanting) and some of the E. parvulus is relocated towards the front. This order was huge...well over $100. It included fish, shrimp, plants, ferts, and tools. I had some DOAs, 3 of 6 cherry and 1 of 4 dwarf puffers (package was shipped overnight.) I'm also fairly certain one of the 3 puffers that made it into the tank has died (and now I can't find it...they don't float.) It was much thinner than the other two and spent much of it's time last night in the back left of the tank at the surface. It would swim down and around every now and then, but was exhibiting much different behavior from the other two. The other two are doing very well and have already taken to eating snails. The 3 cherry shrimp are also busy working away on the algae...or at least I hope they are.

Planting snapshot:

The quality of the Rotala wallichii from AZGardens is outstanding. Heck, it looks like it has already grown some since yesterday. I made comments to a friend on how wonderful the new 12" stainless steel curved tweezers are. It makes planting multiple stems so so easy. There hasn't been a single pop-up.

Puffers:

I love this picture. It's cropped down, but the original included the puffer that I think died overnight. No pictures of the cherry shrimp yet.

10-31-04 | Almost finished:

Sorry about the picture being over-exposed. On the right side I have planted a large stand of Hemianthus micranthemoides. It took about two hours to accomplish, my back was sore because of it, but it was well worth it. None of these stems were trimmed. I'll let them adapt and grow for a while before trimming and shaping. To the left of the Rotala wallichii are a few stems of Alteranthera reineckii which will be the 'wow' factor once I figure out how to get them -really- red. Word on the street is that cuttings need a while to re-establish, it will stunt with less than 5ppm NO3, and should get plenty of iron. Sitting on top of the java fern are a few weighed-down stems of Rotala macrandra. These were purchased from a different source and weren't nearly as healthy as the plants from AZGardens. The goal is to keep them there until I see new growth.
The yellow thing behind the intake pipe is the probe for the pH controller. My kH is 4*, so I'm keeping the monitor around 6.6-6.7.

Tomorrow, I'll decide what to do with the Rotala indica and the Crypt leaves that have a lot of algae on them will be timmed off. Is there anything special to know about trimming lutea crypts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 04:20 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
any problems with the puffers attacking the cherry shrimp?
nice setup btw
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Troy McClure
Nope, no problems.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 10:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
nice setup! looks great

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode