• 2 Post By shhh
  • 4 Post By brwagur
  • 2 Post By shhh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
50 Gallon Goldfish Bowl

I've had this tank set up for 15 months, so it's long overdue for a journal. It changed a bit over time. It took some trial and error to figure out which plants would thrive and how to set it up so the goldfish are happy. I’m planning to add a few more buces.

TANK
Sea Clear acrylic 50 gallon (36x15x20 in)

EQUIPMENT
2 eheim 2217 filters (I started with an Aquaclear 110 in place of one of the eheims)
1 air pump with 4 air stones
1 Current satellite+ (I started with 2 and decided it was too bright) 10 hour light period

CURRENT PLANTS
potted plants are in glass candle holders filled with osmocote plus and eco complete
Amazon sword
Crypts (lutea, balansae, undulata, wendtii)
Anubias glued to suction cups on back glass
Various buces glued/tied to smooth rocks
A lot of banana plants (some are hooked onto my airline tubing, but most are free to roam bc I got tired of putting them back in their places)
3 riparium plants resting on back wall spray bar

REMOVED/FORMER PLANTS
Java and flame moss were too tasty for goldfish.
Riccia floated really nicely on surface for several months before being caught by current and getting lodged in other plants and sucked into filter. There probably is still some in there.
Java fern was taken out because I was bored with it.
A bunch of stem plants also proved too tempting for the goldfish to rip up
Anubias rotted on driftwood and spread rot to a lot of other anubias plants (wiped out all of them).
Marimo balls got filthy and I was not interested in cleaning them each week.

MAINTENANCE
At least weekly water changes of 75%, but usually I change 75% of the water twice a week.
No ferts, no co2, no excel because I'm super lazy.
I recently cut a ton of leaves from the sword bc it was huge and it was a little scraggly. I have a tiny bit of green spot algae on a few of the oldest leaves on one of my crypts, but other than that there are no issues besides the goldfish ripping some leaves occasionally. It's taken a while for it to fill in, but I love that I don't have to do anything other than water changes.

CURRENT INHABITANTS
1 “Purple” butterfly telescope goldfish (Blume)
1 Sakura butterfly telescope goldfish (Bishop)
5 nerites
Unknown number of Amano shrimp, probably 8
At least 200 carbon rili neo shrimp (every time I clean my canisters I find like 80 babies)
A few annoying mini ramshorns
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0519.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	725298  

Name:	IMG_0521.jpg
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	725314  

Name:	IMG_0766.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	725322  

Name:	IMG_1312.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	725330  

Name:	IMG_1318.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	725338  

Name:	IMG_1342.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	725362  

Name:	IMG_0609.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	725370  

Name:	IMG_1515.jpg
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	725378  

Name:	IMG_1520.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	725386  

Name:	IMG_1537.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	725394  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I didn't realize the latest picture cuts off a bit of my tank, so here's a full shot of it. It's a pita to take photos of because it's pretty much at the foot of my bed so I can never get the distance or height I want to take pictures. However, it's nice watching the fish before I sleep. I also included a closer shot of two of my favorite buces. They've both quadrupled in size since I got them. I know the one may not seem like much, but it's all from a quarter inch of rhizome. The goldfish are a little hard on the buces. They've detached tied and glued buces. It doesn't help that I try to attach the buces to smooth rocks, but I don't keep any sharp surfaces in the tank for the sake of my less than graceful goldfish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1546.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	725522  

Name:	IMG_1553.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	725530  

Name:	IMG_1555.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	725538  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:40 PM
Algae Grower

Great tank! Then crypts look gorgeous! Is there any particular reason you decided to go with a bare bottom?
shhh, shhh, NickAu and 1 others like this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! This was the first tank I tried crypts in. I was put off by the idea of them melting when I first started to keep planted tanks. After I tried them and realized how easy they are to keep, I added them to all my tanks. I decided to make my goldfish tank bare bottom because I knew I was going to have to do a lot of water changes in the tank. I feed my goldfish a lot of vegetables, spinach in particular, so they poop constantly and there was no way I wanted to gravel vac all the time. My filters pick up their waste quickly without the substrate. I also wanted the flexibility of moving the plants around so that I could find the best way to accommodate the goldfish. They need a lot of room to turn around. My current arrangement works really well for the goldfish so that they have lots of swimming area weaving around the potted plants and there are clear spaces all along the front and back of the tank as well as above the plants.
NickAu and NickAu like this.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 12:48 AM
Algae Grower

That's very interesting. And the pots are a very good idea for a goldfish tank and something I'd love to try myself sometime if I ever decide to keep goldfish! I would personally probably put about a 1 inch thick layer of sand on the bottom because I really like the natural look. I'd have to discover for myself whether the goldfish make a big mess of it!!
shhh, shhh, NickAu and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Name:	IMG_4258.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	783994

My favorite buce in the goldfish tank flowering (for the second time this year). This buce continues to grow well and the goldfish leave it alone. There are 2-3 new leaves each week. Unfortunately, the goldfish rip out the mini buces. I've been trying to grow them on suction cups on the back wall and they seem to be ignored a bit more by the goldfish than when they're attached to rocks on the bottom of the tank.
lisals and lisals like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode