African Themed Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
African Themed Tank

I decided to dig up my old 38 gallon. I originally thought the crash would leak water, bit since it is a small chip in the corner, I guess it won't. I did a water test and it held up fine. I still will repair it with extra silicone or something. For now it will share a 4 foot shop light with my 10 gallon tank. This will be a slower build with a planned out aquascape, unlike my 10 gallon.

I want to stock the tank with an African butterfly fish, Congo tetras, a ctenopoma, and a rubber nose pleco. Still unsure of a couple things, but definitely going to need a lot of driftwood. Budget is kind of low, so lots of diy stuff for this build. Really excited!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Saved for future posts
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:24 AM
Planted Member

Nice idea, but one question: Why a pleco? They aren't from Africa. Have you thought about Nerite Snails? They will at least fit your theme. I've got an 8 gallon African biotope-ish if you want to check it out!

Go Timbers

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Farci View Post
Nice idea, but one question: Why a pleco? They aren't from Africa. Have you thought about Nerite Snails? They will at least fit your theme. I've got an 8 gallon African biotope-ish if you want to check it out!
I guess I just liked pleco's and this is the only tank I could hold one in lol. I am definitely putting some nerite snails in. I heard they are pretty awesome algae eaters.

I was actually looking at your tank for inspiration. I really like it!

There aren't too many fish from the Congo area available in the pet trade, which is kind of a shame. I'm glad someone else is doing an African biotope. One question, where did you find African ferns? Do you find them similar to java ferns? Thanks.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:17 PM
Planted Member

I get all my fish and plants from the Wet Spot Tropical Fish in Portland. Luckily, they are my LFS. Congo fish are extremely hard to find because shipping costs are crazy, and they ship through Europe using poorly insulated boxes, and many fish die.

Bolbitis is pretty easy to find. If your LFS doesn't have any, I'm sure plenty of people in this forum could send you some snippets. I only have two rhizomes, and while they have grown some nice leaves since I updated my thread, I don't have enough to send out It's very pretty when it grows in though.

Go Timbers
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I get all my fish and plants from the Wet Spot Tropical Fish in Portland. Luckily, they are my LFS. Congo fish are extremely hard to find because shipping costs are crazy, and they ship through Europe using poorly insulated boxes, and many fish die.

Bolbitis is pretty easy to find. If your LFS doesn't have any, I'm sure plenty of people in this forum could send you some snippets. I only have two rhizomes, and while they have grown some nice leaves since I updated my thread, I don't have enough to send out It's very pretty when it grows in though.
That's fortunate for you. My LFS actually stocks congo tetra and African butterfly fish, so that's pretty awesome. I'll have to reach out to people about the fern. Thanks for the info!

Bump:
Quote:

That's fortunate for you. My LFS actually stocks congo tetra and African butterfly fish, so that's pretty awesome. I'll have to reach out to people about the fern. Thanks for the info!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 04:32 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually 38 gallon tank is a little small for Congo tetras. I had them in 345l tank (4 times bigger than yours!), 120 cm long and it was a little bit too short for my liking. Those are huge tetras! Bushfish grows to 20 cm... But it grows slowly, so you can have a small one in such a small tank. Sooner or later it will need more space.
On the other hand - you could put there some kribensis :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel View Post
Actually 38 gallon tank is a little small for Congo tetras. I had them in 345l tank (4 times bigger than yours!), 120 cm long and it was a little bit too short for my liking. Those are huge tetras! Bushfish grows to 20 cm... But it grows slowly, so you can have a small one in such a small tank. Sooner or later it will need more space.
On the other hand - you could put there some kribensis :-)
I believe the leopard bush fish only grows to 4 inches. Every care article , hobbies experienced posts. and recommendations say a school Congo tetra will be fine in a 30 gallon...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 12:21 AM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, about bushfish - I've read something else, but it's not first hand, so I might be wrong. About Congo tetra - I had 12 of them in much bigger tank for a year and believe me, it's torture to keep them in something so small! Or maybe not size, length is more important, I had them in 120 cm long tank, but if I'm going to have them again, I won't put them in something shorter than 150 cm. That's my opinion.

- 120x48x60 cm

- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel View Post
Well, about bushfish - I've read something else, but it's not first hand, so I might be wrong. About Congo tetra - I had 12 of them in much bigger tank for a year and believe me, it's torture to keep them in something so small! Or maybe not size, length is more important, I had them in 120 cm long tank, but if I'm going to have them again, I won't put them in something shorter than 150 cm. That's my opinion.
Thanks for your opinion. I might have to go with lamp eye killifish instead.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode