2Likes
  • 1 Post By zach_discus
  • 2 Post By Freemananana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
145gallons of Serinity

Hello, not really new but have been working on getting my 280 reef tank set up and stable while also adding a +1 to our family. Now that my daughter has hit 14 months and the reef is as on cruze as a reef can be, time to start a new project. A local stores owner picked up a client tank after a prolonged power outage duo to it overflowing and ruining the MDF back and bottom of the stand. Cory was originally going to fix the stand but with his large fishroom and store front he passed it on to a local member, me!

Tank is 145 gallon acrylic with dual corner overflows (60x22x24) with stand and canopy. Stand is currently in several pieces while I replace the damaged MDF with 3/4 birch plywood and than the stand and canopy are getting stripped and re stained. Right now its in a blonde oak finish and that does not match our living room in the least!! Wife was nice enough to say yes to a second large tank so I will make sure it meets her approval .

I have a couple options for filtration 1: Large wet dry sump with Jeboa 6000 pump or 2: Fluval FX6 canister. Doubt the wet/dry would be ideal due to wanting to use my Co2 set-up (Carbon doser, Aqua Medic Co2 Reactor1000, and Reefkeeper Lite ph controller). So my thinking at this time is to hard plump FX6 to the overflow boxes and and add the Co2 system in using a t off the return plumbing? I would like to use the overflows to get a slight surface skimming action and the tank will be set up with a ATO set up and float switches will be mounted in one of the overflow boxes to keep them at a constant level. They also make a nice spot to hide the 500watt titanium heater This will also be managed by the Reefkeeper Lite system along with lights and temp.

Lighting ATI 60" 6 bulb unit. Its a little banged up after several years of use but will be hidden in the canopy. Still researching for bulb choice.

I have several pieces of large driftwood, some nice chunks of granite and 150lbs of Flourite black sand for substrate. Plants will be pretty basic Val, swords, and java fern/moss. With a fairly open layout to allow the fish larger swimming areas.

Last is the planned fish:6-8 Altum angels or wild caught discus, a couple prs of dwarf cichlids, 20 Rummy nose tetras, 10 octo cats and 10 Duplicate corys

Nothing too extreme or off the wall and way more equipment limited compared to my reef. While I love my reef there is something very soothing about watching a planted tank with several large serene Angels or discus with a decent sized school of tetras moving about them.

Will start getting pics tomorrow on my day off and sharing as this progresses along. Comments always welcome.

Thanks Zach
Pearl_Gourami likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 07:46 AM
Algae Grower

Doubt the wet/dry would be ideal due to wanting to use my Co2 set-up (Carbon doser, Aqua Medic Co2 Reactor1000, and Reefkeeper...

NOOB here, wet/dry not good with CO2?

tanks
d
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They dissipate too much CO2, they can be used but you need to up your CO2 input to compensate.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Or seal the sump with plexiglass.
Is what I hear some do.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 01:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Another option would be just a wet sump, with the top sealed, which seems to be the combo most large planted tank people using sumps use. I have a 180 with a wet sump, and I would much rather clean it any day than a large cannister. Any upping you might have to do for CO2 would most likely be a worthy trade off in the future for the benefit of a sump for easy maintenance.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I would pay good money to see side by side comparisons of wet dry and submerged sumps for gas usage.

Anyway, a submerged sump is a good median like mentioned previously. A tank this size will use a ton of CO2 anyway. You'll likely not miss the extra CO2 due to the overflow. If you are using a bean animal or herbie overflow that has a full siphon, there isn't a lot of off gassing occurring there. My setup only has surface agitation from the spray bar and the overflow weir drops water about 4" into my overflow box. That's the most off gassing I see happening.

I have a similar return pump, actually the DCT-8000. It is a great pump, but I would imagine yours may be under sized for this tank without a powerhead. I have mine running at full output, surprisingly, on my 125g. The plants sway beautifully.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone for the great discussion so far.

Freemananana I am a die in the wool Herbie guy, this tank will be two 1" primary submerged drains and a single 1" emergency. This is similar to how my reef is set up but it uses 1.5" plumbing and a DCT-15000 as the return pump. Will also be using a Jeboa RW-8 to add a little more flow if needed, mostly because I have it lying around.

Looking at how a submerged sump is set up I would need to build a different sump but do like the idea!! My current wet/dry is a old style Americal trickle filter.

Anyone have any suggestions for bulb combo? Looking for a good balance between plants needs and pleasing eye appeal. I prefer around a 10k whiter color to a 6700k yellow tinge.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Zach,

If you can do it, sealing the top plate of the wet/dry can help maintain some CO2. I've done it both ways with my current sump and haven't seen much difference in pH drop/CO2 use between sealed and unsealed. One thing you may want to consider is using thick foam sheets on top of any biomedia you have to reduce turbulence and noise. My whole media chamber is full of foam and it's been working quite nicely. The top sheets eventually get exposed between top-offs which I view as a benefit since they're getting more oxygen to promote bacterial growth.

There are a ton of bulb options for T5 fixtures. If you prefer the cooler white tones (10,000K) you can mix other bulbs in with them to get a blend that fits your aesthetic needs. I've successfully grown plants under full 10,000K lighting with no particular issues relative to warmer tones.

Cheers,
Phil
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lol sorry for the mess. Started stripping the stand and rebuilding the water damages bits. All the blue tanks are my DAS tanks for my discus room while I'm reworking it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1037_1487893388008.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	724674  

Name:	IMG_1038_1487893406188.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	724682  

Name:	IMG_1039_1487893422156.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	724690  

Name:	IMG_1040_1487893437503.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	724698  

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_discus View Post
Freemananana I am a die in the wool Herbie guy, this tank will be two 1" primary submerged drains and a single 1" emergency. This is similar to how my reef is set up but it uses 1.5" plumbing and a DCT-15000 as the return pump. Will also be using a Jeboa RW-8 to add a little more flow if needed, mostly because I have it lying around.

Looking at how a submerged sump is set up I would need to build a different sump but do like the idea!! My current wet/dry is a old style Americal trickle filter.
A herbie drain is fine. I'm using 1.5" drains on my 125g and running my DCT-8000 wide open. You should be fine with what you have lying around.

You can alter your sump if the exterior walls will hold the pressure. A submerged sump is VERY easy to build. I built mine out of a free 75g I received. A 20-40g tank from the 'dollar per gallon' sale at petco will work. Buy a couple of 1/4" glass sheets and silicone them in. But like I said before, I doubt you'll lose out on much with that trickle tower. You can always try it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Algae Grower

If you want to go for canisters on something that big I highly recommend the Nu-Clears build by Inland Seas. You can choose your flow rate depending on what pump you want, they're good for up to 1000gph real flow. I'm running about 700-800gph on them on my 120 and it is fantastic. I did full siphon intakes and an underwater spray bar and have very little surface agitation, so therefore very little CO2 off gassing.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Stand is finished and in the house!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1048_1488158236554.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	726314  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode