LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1 Year With The College Spec V

Hi All,

Im new here,

This is my journey to planted tanks.

Background: As a young kid, I remember watching my dad's 90 gallon salt water tank. Maybe this is what gave me my fascination with fish tanks. I have always been an avid fisherman, and just think fish are cool. I would always stop and watch a fish tank if I saw one in public... I always tried to get my dad to get a tank again but he never did.

Beginning: My college roommate came home with a black molly in a jar and set it on our kitchen table. Immediately I began looking for tanks. (It only takes a spark) While looking and learning about Tanks, fish, and the Nitrogen Cycle, I stumbled on Joey @ King Of DIY YouTube channel and was fascinated at his rays. But then I realized I was in a college dorm, and no room for massive tanks...

Found this tank on craigslist last February (2016) and knew I had to have it. (it came with the goldfish who the pervious owner did not want me to kill) (So I gave it to a friend)

Picked up Aqueon 50w heater some Cardinal Tetras once the goldfish was gone.

Living in Colorado, It was easy to find some cool hardscape.

After having the tetras for a while, I heard about Red Cherry Shrimp and had to have them. They buried quickly but the tetras any shrimplets.

The end of the school year came, and I was determined to get my fish home for the summer. (my dad wanted me to ditch the tetras and just get new ones back home)

Thankfully my Toyota 4runner has an outlet in the back so I simply, taped the top of the aquarium to keep the water from sloshing around. It worked great and had no losses.

Over the summer, the last few RCS died, and I picked up two Corys C. trilineatus. These fish look great, and are still one of my favorite.

This Fall, I made the drive back to CO with the tank in the back of the 4runner again with the tank running the whole time.

Upgrades to Planted Tank: Once I settled back into CO, I spent a day rescaping with UPAqua soil, And upgraded the light to a Finnix FugeRay Planted+. Picked up some Java Moss, anubias nana petite, and Mystery plant...(ID?)

Anyway this is all for now, I will post more to get this journal caught up to date. Tank looks very different today then it did this fall.

Any advice on how to post these journals properly and efficiently would be great... Im not sure how to alternate picture-text-pictue-text...ect...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0814.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	723994  

Name:	IMG_0970.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	724002  

Name:	IMG_0983.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	724010  

Name:	IMG_0925.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	724018  

Name:	IMG_0985.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	724026  

Name:	IMG_0989.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	724034  

Name:	IMG_1497.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	724042  

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sure looks like you learned a lot in this year. Fine story with the tank in the back of your car )... one of those stories of life in college.

You can use a hosting service such as photobucket and insert the photographs using the BBCode with the [IMG] format where you want them in the post. Photobucket already offers this formated code.

The plant looks like Vallisneria spiralis.

Keep us updated on the progress for the next year.

On hiatus till later this year

Tags
college, journal, nano, spec v

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode