Just starting up - The Planted Tank Forum
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just starting up

Hey Everyone

Just starting up a 90gal and will post progress as I go!

Images so far
Nothing done yet really Waiting on soil for substrate so you will get to see from Start to infinity!
Attached Images

Lichard, Lichard, Pattern8 and 5 others like this.

To place importance on ones self over the lives to which we are charged is to fail completely in our mission.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 10:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Hello! Welcome to the forum and I can't wait to see where your tank takes us...can you list out your supplies and equipment you plan on using?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Retired
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 10:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Howdy, welcome to the forums! excited to see the journal. Also agree with @ScubaSteve , can you list the equipment you plan on using. also what plants are you going to use, and fish!?

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:09 AM
Planted Member

Welcome! Is the second photo of the aquarium stand?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

That's a nice big tank. Pretty deep as well. Some echinodorus sp. might work well.

On hiatus till later this year
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattern8 View Post
Welcome! Is the second photo of the aquarium stand?
Hey Pattern8

Yes the photos are all of the stand, got it all unfinished and shined it up a bit
the first photo is it lying on the back in my kitchen - post conditioning / pre stained

I added the trim and panels around the doors.

Bought this set up used for $350 Plus some additions.

What I got for 350$ Tank, Stand, 50lbs Filter Sand, Marineland LED strip Light 36", Marineland 360 Canister Filter, wavemaker, the lovely granite you see in the tank and some other accessories too common to mention.
************************************************** ************************************
To answer your questions about specs

Quote:
Hello! Welcome to the forum and I can't wait to see where your tank takes us...can you list out your supplies and equipment you plan on using?
Filtration
-Marineland 360 canister 4 compartments
- Coarse - Medium - Fine Filter foams Reticulated
-Filter Floss
-Biohome Ultra Mini 2KG (two trays)
- Seachem Purigen (I've heard good things)

Lighting
-T8 LED Full Spectrum Hydroponic Lighting x2
To say a little bit about these lights, I found them on Amazon while browsing through all of the HYPER expensive grow lights designed for aquarium use.
These are Plug and play no ballast required, weigh about 0.5lb each and can be mounted pretty much anywhere. WATER TIGHT. You can also set them up in a series with the right attachment.
Only drawback? No Switch! I will have to get a timer.
Paid 36.99 ea or you can buy a set of 4 for 120.00 Pretty sure they will output more than enough lighting to get my plants growing happily
I will be setting up a 16" x 48" Shelf above the Tank for mounting these and Extra storage to boot!

-Marineland LED strip Light for everyday use.

Substrate
-Black earth (Premier LiteWay 50L) Once the snow melts grrrrrr Looking at a 1.5 - 2" base
-Filter Sand Cap again 1.5-2" Maybe more depending on how the dirt does once underwater.

Techy Stuff
-Pretty sure I am going to have to set up a CO2 but still getting to know this stuff right now so no real answers there. If you have suggestions? I am a cheap DIYer so keep that in mind
-My dream is to install an INLINE HEATER but I know that will not be happening anytime soon so I have 3 200Watts at the ready

As for fertilizing???
Still not quite there yet on that decision either. I hear a lot of good things for all options but I am personally looking for the easiest process out there. Again all suggestions are welcome.

Scaping Plans ... Picture this

What I am hoping to achieve is a hardscape using the rocks you see in the corner they currently reside in. I will be using some of the sand in mesh to build up and create a stepped mountain which will have some Java Moss, Riccia, and flame moss. I will also be setting up some small trees in different sections to create the realistic look and give some perspective. Trying out some Sculpy to see if I can pull it off for those. I am hoping to create a Cave or two in between the levels for good hiding spots.
Moving from the mountain to the right of the tank it will be Monte Carlo or
HC, Hemianthus callitrichoides as the ground cover and again a few small moss trees at the base of the mountain and then, with the right piece of Driftwood, I intend to create a large tree just off centre. This will ultimately be my focal point and I will fill in around it with more moss, Star moss Blixen Dwarf Hair Grass and other low growing plants. I am still researching what is avaialble and what I think will work well for my scape.

So far that is where I am at for my ideas on what it will look like, of course as I am sure you all know in the end it could be completely different! That is the beauty of this isn't it?

Fishy Friends

-6-10 Corys
-A bunch of tetras that my hubby gets to pick out
-Some Good Digging snails for better house keeping along with some shrimpy shrimps of the colourful variety
I think I will have a better idea on those once I get the rest up and running.

************************************************** ************************************************** ****
That, my friends, are my tank ideas in a nutshell.

Oh I forgot to mention that I have 2 10gals on Hand that I will be setting up for Quarantine and Plant Propagation. They are all good to go with filters lighting and all.

I hope this has enticed you at least slightly to follow along

If you read anything here that seems wrong, a bad idea and or alarming please feel free to comment, I really am new new and just learning all of this. I appreciate all opinions

Thanks for reading!

To place importance on ones self over the lives to which we are charged is to fail completely in our mission.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

UPDATE: Finally SOIL ACHEIVED!!!!!

Hey Everyone!

So it has been I don't know like three weeks since I was here and posted anything about my tank. Everything has been on hold while I waited for the snow to melt enough to get some soil from my local Hardware Shop.

Yesterday I was delivered from the hell of my impatience and anticipation.

Got the call that they managed to get out to their yard and pull two 50 litre (13.2gal) bags of black earth for me. The girl who called me must have thought I was completely insane as I was over the moon excited. Sure she has never been thanked so much over two bags of dirt.
My hubby vocally confirmed my insanity as I rushed to get ready to go pick it up.

Just an FYI I don't drive. Every where I go, I go by public transit or on my bicycle.

I scooted to the store as fast as the bus would take me, which is really like 5 minutes, and grabbed a few other items I have been waiting for this moment to get and went to service to collect my prize.

Now, originally I said I only needed one bag of soil.
One is going to be enough
Then a seed of doubt was planted by my ever rational husband.
Are you sure one bag will be enough?
Oh yeah yeah I say, More than enough.
He persisted using words like "what if" and "run out" and "have to wait".
SO
When the store called I was like "How hard would it be to grab one more bag?" and silently cursed my husband for his victory.
The girl said no problem and that was that.

When I got the two bags of dirt I was like Okay not so heavy.
Yeah ONE is not so heavy two on the other hand...
I brought along my 90gal duffle to haul this home; loaded it in and then tried to lift it
HA HA HA HAH!!
Who the heck do I think I am?? Arnold Schwartzenegger? ��
I can't carry, let alone lift this to the bus and then home!

So I did the one thing that really drives me crazy about other people.
I loaded the duffle onto the lower rack of the cart (cause that's how high I could lift it) and pushed that cart to the bus stop. (shame)

I managed to get the bag on the bus with a lot of funny looks and a cheeky comment from the driver.
When I got to my stop I rolled it out the door and LITERALLY dragged the bag across the street and then up two smallish hills to my apartment building.

All I can say is Thank Gawd for elevators and living right next to it. By the time I locked my door all I wanted to do was lie down and die.

I did the calculation: 1litre of water is = to 2.2lbs.

The soil was definitely damp and partially frozen so I calculated
50litre of damp/frozen soil = to 1.1lbs

So essentially I was trying to carry 110lbs of dirt in a duffle bag by myself.
Pretty sure I am actually insane

When my hubby got home he was like "WOW, that's really heavy! Why did you get two bags?"
and I imagined that I could blow up his head by just staring at him. Like in scanners.

BUT, I digress

Today I sifted and loaded ONE bag of soil into my tank and it looks like that is going to be enough for a 2" substrate. I will be capping with sand as well.
I am sure I will find a use for the "other" bag. Perhaps to fill in a large rectangular person sized hole...

I have also started to place my rocks, slabs of granite. Granite is really very heavy and dense and hard to break.
I am going to have some great upper body strength once I am finished.
(Or someone will have to roll ME into that hole I mentioned earlier.)

Here are some pics of the mess I have made so far along with a nifty little "irrigation" system that I grabbed at the dollar store for $3.50. Should come in handy as I am going to try out a dry start.

Let me know what y'all think! Once I have everything a bit further along I will update.

Thanks for checking in!

Sarah
Attached Images

Lichard, Lichard, nel and 11 others like this.

Last edited by wading_in; 03-03-2017 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Duplicated text
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Nice....what color sand are you going to be capping with?

- Retired
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
you might need more than 2x T8 bulbs to light a 90g. that is a tall/deep tank size

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:53 PM
Algae Grower

Nice! I look forward to seeing this develop

Check out my first ever Planted Tank!

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Nice....what color sand are you going to be capping with?

Hey Steve!

I will be capping with a white sand and some black as well. This is a build as I go no plan on the layout other than what is in my head.

We shall see

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
you might need more than 2x T8 bulbs to light a 90g. that is a tall/deep tank size
Yep I took that into consideration My substrate is actually going to be pretty deep so that will bring the height issue down a bit

I invested in the two lights for now to see how it "grows" and will add more if needed

I also have the poopie Marineland on there as well.

I have time to build up as I will be doing a dry start so .....
Pat24601 and Pat24601 like this.

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update #2

I'm back!

So it has taken what seems like forever to get the time to spend on moving to the next step with my tank but finally I think I am ready to add a little life!

Finished the scape Mostly and now will be moving on to the planting!

Unfortunately my little watering system did not work out but that's okay, not to worried

Here are some updated images for you.

Let me know what you think, ideas suggestions etc.

ps the bobbers are marking the places for my floating islands
Attached Images

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:15 PM
Algae Grower

Great pics! Looking really good!
wading_in and wading_in like this.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat24601 View Post
Great pics! Looking really good!

Thanks!

Hoping to get some more done today!
Pat24601 and Pat24601 like this.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
This is turning out pretty cool! I love the idea of floating islands, can't wait to see how that looks (:

Also, GREAT idea with using the dry erase marker to help visualize everything. I wish I had thought of that... haha.
wading_in and wading_in like this.

-Lichard

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode