4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Arrow "The Upside Down" A 20 long.

Been planning this tank since December.

Substrate:
MGOCPM 1"-1.5" Black Diamond Cap 1" Used a bamboo spear and marked inch and half inch marks on it to measure depth. Worked out great as you can feel the transition when poking the sub.

Lighting:
Finnex 24/7 SE 30"

I plan to keep it topless.

Flora:

Dwarf baby tears in the foreground.
Pogostemon erectus in the rear left or a simular looking plant
A red plant just behind the driftwood. I found some Ludwigia Palustris which I think will work.
Wisteria in the rear right
S. Repens where appropriate underneath the driftwood.
Flame moss on the wood itself.
Water Spangle, Water lettuce

I debated the moss for a while and I think I want flame as opposed to something like Christmas to maximize space so that the moss shadow doesn't affect plants below it as much. and an up and down profile seemed appropriate.

Fauna:

Endlers
Neon tetras
Cherry shrimp
Corydoras or Otos.
MTS
Dwarf Gourami

Equipment:
Eheim 250
CO2 injection. DIY at first, may upgrade.
one powerhead for internal flow.
Deadwood soaked it for a month, baked it for 60 min on 200 and it came out delicious. I restructured it with hot glue. It has since dried out but it sunk fast when I was soaking it before.

Starting a DSM in the next week or 2 with the Dwarf Baby Tears. Never worked with it before but I want to give it time to grow out and root well. If it does not go as I plan I will switch to Monte Carlo.

Comments / suggestions welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170217_050947.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	722450  

Last edited by Attackturtle; 03-07-2017 at 01:49 AM. Reason: update plans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The cherry shrimp might be an issue with a dwarf gourami, in my past experience dwarf gouramis have been aggressive to anything small enough to eat.

Sent from my Moto Z using Tapatalk
Attackturtle and Attackturtle like this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

1st round of plants received. HC, anubias nana, and some flame moss. HC and Anubias looked great. Flame moss stank and looked crappy. I assume it fell off the stank gel while being shipped. Looks decent underwater though. I have those 2 in my 5 gallon while I DSM the HC.

Here is a timelapse of the planting.

Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170222_200922.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	724410  

Name:	20170222_165722.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	724418  

Name:	20170222_165742.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	724426  

Name:	20170222_200123.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	724434  

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:17 AM
Algae Grower

Nice start! Loving the name. Stranger things reference?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yep. Stranger Things and my deadwood is an upside down bush so it seemed appropriate.
danbayne and danbayne like this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

10 day update on DSM. All is well.

I open all 4 corners and let the tank breath every evening before lights out. I do this until the condensation on the inside mostly goes away. Usually half an hour. I have had no mold and no issues at all really. One snail appeared which I dispatched.

I started with the water line about an inch under the HC. The sand cap is still damp and that is what I wanted. I misted heavily once a day every day for the first few days and now I don't mist at all unless the inside walls are not covered in condensation in the afternoon. I added a small amount of excel and api leaf zone to distilled water for my sprayer but not much.

I expect no noticeable growth for the first 2 weeks as the plants acclimate, repair from my pinch and ripping from the coconut husk, and grow new roots. There really wasn't any planting going on with HC Cuba. It was mostly me forming a shallow depression into the sand and mushing them in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170304_081149.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	728338  

Name:	20170304_081116.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	728346  

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looking good! Are you going to put anything on the wood or leave it as-is?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 02:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
No no no, don't put ANY excel on the dry start, I've seen people kill a nice carpet that way, I hope you didn't add much! Good luck
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEdwards View Post
Looking good! Are you going to put anything on the wood or leave it as-is?
Flame moss. I have Anubias nana Ill stick somewhere and there is a plant in a jar in there now Im going to tie somewhere at the top of the wood. It is a rhizome plant but I have no idea what it is aside from that it really likes water. Found it in my creek at the high water mark. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
No no no, don't put ANY excel on the dry start, I've seen people kill a nice carpet that way, I hope you didn't add much! Good luck
Too late. I read on one of my research searches that somebody did it to control algae. I didn't add much at all and have not had any issues from doing it.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb126 View Post
The cherry shrimp might be an issue with a dwarf gourami, in my past experience dwarf gouramis have been aggressive to anything small enough to eat.

Sent from my Moto Z using Tapatalk
my gourami's do fine with cherrys. he doesn't even notice them, even though there are hundreds.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attackturtle View Post
Too late. I read on one of my research searches that somebody did it to control algae. I didn't add much at all and have not had any issues from doing it.
Usually people will spot treat with excel in a flooded tank, it works very good killing algae that way but I have seen people ruin a beautiful dry start with straight up excel, If you diluted enough hopefully you'll be ok, I've done a couple of dry starts with DHG and UG and never had to add anything but water, keeping the tank sealed and high humidity is all you need...good lighting helps too
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update. No issues. I am now seeing growth. I also have a few random yellow leaves. Growth far surpasses yellow leaves so I can't explain it. Damage from transfer? Opinions? No idea but there is definite growth. My goal was to have a solid rood system, not full carpet. No floating HC. Secondary goal is a cycled filter. My ehiem has been cycling a 5 gallon bucket for a month. When the nitrite leaves, Im ready to flood as soon as I buy plants and pick an F-Day.

I cycled a 5 gal tank with plants in it recently. My nitrate of course was off the scale. Plant heaven When the cycle was over and I did a water change and added livestock half my plants melted in protest. I am not excited to recreate that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170309_185913.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	731546  

Name:	20170310_190057.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	731554  

Name:	20170310_190048.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	731562  

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nice deadwood gl with dry start

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Nice start! Subbed.

- Retired
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Almost 6 weeks in. Everything is on track. I had some random yellowing of some leaves. I decided I was giving too much light. I was putting in 14-15 hours of full light my 24/7 SE would provide. I changed it to the 24/7 mode and the plants stopped freaking out. I noticed I have snails but they are not being bad so I won't start a war with them.

I very rarely ad water, perhaps once a week. The one plant in the lower left is just below all the other plants. If I have too much water in there, that is the first one to experience flooding. An odd observation was that my water level appeared to raise in the day and lower at night. I think the condensation was staying near the top of the substrate line by constantly condensing and then dripping down the sides. When I air the tank out at night, it would lower it just below the substrate line. I took this to mean my water line was just below the substrate level. A few days of extra airing out fixed this. The water looks disgusting when it is just visible.

I'm ready to flood now but my schedule is hectic the next couple weeks so that is the only thing holding me back. I just wanted the HC to root well which if it hasn't by now it isn't going to. I'd hate to wait for a full carpet only to have it die on me after flooding.

My next step is to buy all the rest of the plants I'm going to put in and then flood it. I think I will be able to do that later this month. Fingers crossed!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170401_071159.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	739634  

Name:	20170401_071150.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	739642  

theDCpump and theDCpump like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode