Jmcdaniel's 40B Tank Build - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Jmcdaniel's 40B Tank Build

I thought I would start a journal for my 1st ever planted tank!

The equipment Ill be using:

40B bought from petco a few years ago and never used.
Stand bought from Petco
Marineland Emperor 400 Pro Series Filter
Beamswork DA 6500K LED Aquarium Light

I want to keep this tank low tech and non C02 using if possible. Also, I will be shooting for a Amazonian tank.

Those are Stock photos.... I will be updating the thread as it progresses with many pics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK so I finally got it put together and set up. She is looking good. My wife wanted the bubble wall in the back. Im not sold on it. My second Light fuxture is on its way, UPS decided to play smash the box on one of the lights. Other than that she is set up and ready to go. Ill be ordering some plants from a very generous member here on the forums shortly and I have already Ordered drift wood, leaves, and a few other things to start the scaping process.

post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just bought a pack of plants @Soup12 Cant wait to get them in. Some of my drift wood purchases should be arriving tomorrow. Im starting get really excited about this tank.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'm not a fan of HOB filters due to the splashing noise. My wife got fed up with it quickly when it was in our living room. With that said, your equipment is looking good. The bubble wall isn't a bad idea. Surface agitation in a low tech planted tank is fine. It helps replenish CO2 from the atmosphere in some cases, nothing super official. But I used a bubble wall on my 75g with zero issues. How many rows of lights do those LEDs have? If it is three, then two would be great for a low tech and you'll have a really even spread.

Your tank is only 18" tall, subtract a couple for the sand and you're likely at 20 par at the substrate. Plenty for low light plants and you won't have algae issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
I'm not a fan of HOB filters due to the splashing noise. My wife got fed up with it quickly when it was in our living room. With that said, your equipment is looking good. The bubble wall isn't a bad idea. Surface agitation in a low tech planted tank is fine. It helps replenish CO2 from the atmosphere in some cases, nothing super official. But I used a bubble wall on my 75g with zero issues. How many rows of lights do those LEDs have? If it is three, then two would be great for a low tech and you'll have a really even spread.

Your tank is only 18" tall, subtract a couple for the sand and you're likely at 20 par at the substrate. Plenty for low light plants and you won't have algae issues.

They are 3 row LED lights, from Beamswork 6500k and I cant remember all the stats, Ill have to look it up.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcdaniel0 View Post
They are 3 row LED lights, from Beamswork 6500k and I cant remember all the stats, Ill have to look it up.
They have a ton of models, but it boils down to the same thing. That's similar enough to the EA Timer Fspec 0.50w to use the par measurements in the graph. I used it on a 20g tall with great success. So two, on a wider tank, will overlap and give you more par than I had. You'll be golden. I would place one 4" from the front and one 4" from the rear. It should split the tank pretty well like that. Of course, a little experimentation on your side will work out the fine details.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
They have a ton of models, but it boils down to the same thing. That's similar enough to the EA Timer Fspec 0.50w to use the par measurements in the graph. I used it on a 20g tall with great success. So two, on a wider tank, will overlap and give you more par than I had. You'll be golden. I would place one 4" from the front and one 4" from the rear. It should split the tank pretty well like that. Of course, a little experimentation on your side will work out the fine details.
My new light came in today on the UPS truck. So Ill be getting that on the tank today. My catappa leaves and Cholla wood came in yesterday. Im still waiting for them to finish sinking to the bottom. My tank has been cycled for a few days now, and I picked up a few fish as well. Ill be getting pics up this evening.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I decided I wasnt going to wait for the leaves to settle before I posted some pics. Ill update later on when my wood and leaves decide to sink and stay on the bottom. I also got my second light installed. Now as soon as my plant pack arrives, ill have a good start on a tank. I also have some more drift wood on order, I am hoping they will get here soon.
Here is the tank as it sets now.

D3monic and D3monic like this.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks like you have a mix bag of fish, be careful with those tiger barbs and feed them plenty. They eat a lot and if there isn't enough to eat, they make due with what they can find...

post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Looks like you have a mix bag of fish, be careful with those tiger barbs and feed them plenty. They eat a lot and if there isn't enough to eat, they make due with what they can find...

Yea I tend to be a heavier feeder, even in my reef tanks. I shouldnt have any problem out of them... If I do, I have 20gal tank I can set up to move them to if needed.
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alrighty!

My plant pack came in today. Thanks @Soup12 I left some wholes intentionally so I can put in some spider wood I have coming in. Cant wait for it to get here. I am also looking at some stuff from Tannin Aquatics, the wife is actually OK with me doing this tank, because even though the stuff is still expensive, it is a fraction of what I would pay for Salt Water fish and coral.

Here are some pics of the stank after planting. Keep in mind I know nothing about the plants, so I took a guess as to what plants went where. Also, I have no idea what any of them are. So if anyone can give me a list of names that would be great!

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 02:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
What's your substrate? What items are you looking at from Tannin? I've been though a lot of them, and I'm always interested to see what others choose.

Looking forward to this tank developing!

post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedaddy View Post
What's your substrate? What items are you looking at from Tannin? I've been though a lot of them, and I'm always interested to see what others choose.

Looking forward to this tank developing!
I went eco complete on the substrate. I have some cholla wood in there, I have some larger snake wood pieces coming in, and I have Catappa leaves in there. I am ordering a bunch of pods and stuff from tannin aquatics. Right now, I have not seen a large amount of tannins come out, but that will change before too long.

Check out my first ever Planted Tank!

post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 03:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcdaniel0 View Post
I went eco complete on the substrate. I have some cholla wood in there, I have some larger snake wood pieces coming in, and I have Catappa leaves in there. I am ordering a bunch of pods and stuff from tannin aquatics. Right now, I have not seen a large amount of tannins come out, but that will change before too long.
Thanks, couldn't quite tell what the sub was.

You're going to love the blackwater, and I'm looking forward to seeing pics!

post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks like a great start, and I love the 40B - such a versatile tank. If I can ask, what air pump are you using for the bubble wand? Is it quiet?

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode