Complete Beginner 10 Gallon (updated Feb 20, 2017) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Update!

Changes:
Lighting- changed he cfl's for a four foot shop light I already had. I put two t8 32 watt (6500k) lights in and hung it from a couple brackets

Co2- bumped it up to two bubbles per second

Stock- added 4 ottos and a mystery snail from my other crayfish tank. Snail does a pretty good job eating the algea.

Plants - added some java fern to help fill in the tank a bit. Also a bit of duckeed or something hitchhiked.
Lots of new growth on the plants.

New leaves

Two little specs of duckweed or something.

Last edited by Jerad Wilson; 02-22-2017 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Fixed link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lots of pearling going on! I was worried that the java fern wouldn't like the extra light, but I guess the co2 has made the difference. Even the anubias and crypts are pearling!

It also seems some of my photos are not within the guidelines. I will have to go through and resize them all.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Picked up some more stem plants. The tank is finally starting to fill in a bit. Also got the new timer. I'm going to run the lights for about 9 hours a day.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Not sure how I like the stem plant's positioning in the back. I might have to change the layout to accommodate them.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No more crazy algea blooms. I think the increased co2 really helped. Everything is learning and growing like crazy! The crypt has 3 new reddish leaves its spurting out. Hopefully I can get some interesting colors from this new growth! The small broadleaf plant also is getting some new red leaves. I just noticed, however, lots of small white worms or something. They appeared all of a sudden. They are all over the glass. I'm not too worried, just curious as to what they are. I thought I remembered something I read that they're harmless. Hopefully they will be gone with a couple water changes.

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey there Jerad,

First off, welcome to the planted world. Like you said, [everyone's] got to start somewhere. Your set up takes me back 20 years; that's a lot like what we used then. Old school for the win!

A few observations-
CO2: It would be better to fill the bottle with water to about 80% and trim your outlet tube. The extra water will help dilute the negative byproducts and slow pH change. Most yeast can't take low pH and will start dying off.

Current plants: You've got a few sword plants in there that will eventually get huge. You're better off letting them grow for now, just keep their size in mind for the future.

Ferts/nutrient supplementation: For setups like yours I normally recommend getting Flourish tabs and cutting them into quarters to be planted about 1" away from your plants/plant groups. I wouldn't recommend using terrestrial fertilizer sticks such as Jobe's brand or time release capsules like Osmocote for your tank with the small water volume and not-so-dense substrate (personal experience there). Flourish and Flourish Trace liquids would be an alternative if you prefer to get hands-on.

Misc: You may want to consider getting some floating plants such as Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) or Red Root Floater (Phyllanthus fluitans) to help soak up nutrients in the water column and provide a little shade until things start growing stronger. Salvinia minima is an option that's common in the hobby, but many states frown on keeping Salvinia due to a few species being terribly invasive weeds. That may not be a problem in the Dakotas where you get hard freezes in the winter, but in this case it's better to be safe than sorry. If you're not keen on floating plants, letting your lily throw out surface leaves wouldn't hurt until you get a good handle on your light/CO2 balance.

Future plants: With your current lighting and CO2 you'll do well with Anubias, Bolbitis, Cryptocoryne, Java Fern, Java Moss, Wisteria, Bacopa, and most species of Ludwigia except peruensis (the big pretty purple one). Rotalas can be a bit finicky with old-school style setups like yours, but the bread-and-butter species should do ok. Dwarf Hairgrass may do well or may do poorly and become an algae trap in your setup. It's a coin toss. Marsilea species (go by XYZ clover in stores) will do well but not grow as fast. Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis) is another foreground option.

Hope this helps,
Phil
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEdwards View Post
Hey there Jerad,

First off, welcome to the planted world. Like you said, [everyone's] got to start somewhere. Your set up takes me back 20 years; that's a lot like what we used then. Old school for the win!

A few observations-
CO2: It would be better to fill the bottle with water to about 80% and trim your outlet tube. The extra water will help dilute the negative byproducts and slow pH change. Most yeast can't take low pH and will start dying off.

Current plants: You've got a few sword plants in there that will eventually get huge. You're better off letting them grow for now, just keep their size in mind for the future.

Ferts/nutrient supplementation: For setups like yours I normally recommend getting Flourish tabs and cutting them into quarters to be planted about 1" away from your plants/plant groups. I wouldn't recommend using terrestrial fertilizer sticks such as Jobe's brand or time release capsules like Osmocote for your tank with the small water volume and not-so-dense substrate (personal experience there). Flourish and Flourish Trace liquids would be an alternative if you prefer to get hands-on.

Misc: You may want to consider getting some floating plants such as Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) or Red Root Floater (Phyllanthus fluitans) to help soak up nutrients in the water column and provide a little shade until things start growing stronger. Salvinia minima is an option that's common in the hobby, but many states frown on keeping Salvinia due to a few species being terribly invasive weeds. That may not be a problem in the Dakotas where you get hard freezes in the winter, but in this case it's better to be safe than sorry. If you're not keen on floating plants, letting your lily throw out surface leaves wouldn't hurt until you get a good handle on your light/CO2 balance.

Future plants: With your current lighting and CO2 you'll do well with Anubias, Bolbitis, Cryptocoryne, Java Fern, Java Moss, Wisteria, Bacopa, and most species of Ludwigia except peruensis (the big pretty purple one). Rotalas can be a bit finicky with old-school style setups like yours, but the bread-and-butter species should do ok. Dwarf Hairgrass may do well or may do poorly and become an algae trap in your setup. It's a coin toss. Marsilea species (go by XYZ clover in stores) will do well but not grow as fast. Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis) is another foreground option.

Hope this helps,
Phil
Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding co2, I am actually using a citric acid and baking soda method. According to the instructions you can't fill up the bottle too much as the one bottle will slowly siphoning to the other.

I will definitely have to get some proper root tabs. With two 32 watt bulbs and 2bps will some of those species do poorly due to them having reputations as low tech? Perhaps my lighting is not as high as I presumed. I have a 38 gallon to move the swords in when they get of size. Thanks!
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerad Wilson View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding co2, I am actually using a citric acid and baking soda method. According to the instructions you can't fill up the bottle too much as the one bottle will slowly siphoning to the other.

I will definitely have to get some proper root tabs. With two 32 watt bulbs and 2bps will some of those species do poorly due to them having reputations as low tech? Perhaps my lighting is not as high as I presumed. I have a 38 gallon to move the swords in when they get of size. Thanks!
Ah, well that CO2 method makes a difference.

No, you're not running a lot of light relative to what many people are using today (T5 and LED), but it doesn't look like it's not enough for your tank. It's actually pretty well balanced for your CO2 method which is of great importance.

All the plants you have and all the ones I listed should be fine with the lights and CO2 you've got. We used to keep them in very similar setups back in the day. When it comes to high light (tech) and low light (tech), most plants got the label "low tech" because they can handle lower light and lower CO2. The whole high tech/low tech thing came about when pressurized CO2 and lighting stronger than T8 fluorescent started make it onto the market about 17-18 years ago. Before that, shop lights and DIY CO2 were really common and the plants we consider "old stand bys" today were common then because they're hardy enough to handle "low tech" setups. They can all take high light/high tech as well.

Cheers,
Phil
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, thanks a lot for the info! I appreciate it. I will definitely look into that plant list:
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Planted the Monte Carlo in the ten gallon. Did a small water change and tested the water parameters. PH-6.5 Ammonia-0 Nitrites-0 Nitrates-0

post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's been a bit since I updated. About two weeks ago I purchased a trio of N-Class Orchid Endler's live bearers. Then, today, I changed the tank around. First, I took out all the plants and fish into a bucket. I put the anubias in my African setup. Then, I used the rest of the Black diamond sand from my African setup and poured about in inch inside. In the middle, however, I stuck with the eco earth. I then used the peice of driftwood to cup the eco earth a bit. It kind of looks like a volcano effect. I then planted the plants on the other side of the wood. I really like the tank more now. I think it will showcase the endler's much better. Also, we have 4 fry! Excited to see the population expand. Hopefully another female will give birth soon. Also, thinking about shrimp and/or dwarf corys. The bottom is looking kind of empty. Thanks for looking!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode