After 4 years and two moves, I'm finally in a place where I can have an aquarium again. I knew I wasn't hauling all those boxes around for nothing! I actually started this build about 6 months ago, and have been collecting photos, but (apologies!) I'm only now getting around to posting them.
I decided to reincarnate the 6g tank that used to be in my office (thread here
), using the same tank and light but opting for a lower-tech approach without C02. I've been traveling a fair bit for work recently, and it seemed safer to slow things down and give myself a buffer for a missed water change or fert dose now and then.
Since this tank has been running for a while now, there are quite a few images in this first post--hopefully it isn't too slow to load.
Here's the tank, it's a Schuber-wright 6g. In my previous thread I mentioned a scary seam on the back corner, and being stored dry for years hasn't helped it any. Since that's the corner where I plan to connect plumbing and can't be seen, I've reinforced the outside with some clear doorway corner protector attached with silicone to take some of the stress off the original joint.
Since I'm using the original light I had when this was a C02 tank, it needed to be raised quite a bit above the tank. I did this using a simple copper pipe light holder mounted on a wooden base.
First, I countersunk 1/2" bolts into a $8 Ikea cutting board
Then slid some lengths of copper pipe over the extended ends. Originally I planned to solder the joints, but it was pretty sturdy just pressure fitted and I've never bothered to go back and do it. The light is just mounted here with zip ties for measurement purposes
I bought some manzinitia from an online craft store, as recommended in a few threads here. It was inexpensive, and I have enough branches to play around with.
Plumbing. I bolted everything onto the cutting board base to add some additional stability, as I have a cat and want to prevent any funny business while I'm not home. This tank is being filtered by an eheim 2213 with a 200w inline heater. After my previous adventures with heaters failing, I've also added a finnex heater controller for an extra level of backup.
Water in for a test fill. I bought some plants from a member here which will make up the bulk of my original planting. All low light, easy plants. Needle leaf fern, some anubias nana petite and Christmas moss.
The plants are all tied down. I've added some pennywort as a floater of sorts to help things settle in.
And here's the tank now. It's grown in pretty well, though things need some trimming and it could use a good cleaning.