• 4 Post By toastedtoast
  • 6 Post By toastedtoast
  • 2 Post By toastedtoast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
4 years later, a rebuild of my 6g nano

After 4 years and two moves, I'm finally in a place where I can have an aquarium again. I knew I wasn't hauling all those boxes around for nothing! I actually started this build about 6 months ago, and have been collecting photos, but (apologies!) I'm only now getting around to posting them.

I decided to reincarnate the 6g tank that used to be in my office (thread here), using the same tank and light but opting for a lower-tech approach without C02. I've been traveling a fair bit for work recently, and it seemed safer to slow things down and give myself a buffer for a missed water change or fert dose now and then.

Since this tank has been running for a while now, there are quite a few images in this first post--hopefully it isn't too slow to load.

Here's the tank, it's a Schuber-wright 6g. In my previous thread I mentioned a scary seam on the back corner, and being stored dry for years hasn't helped it any. Since that's the corner where I plan to connect plumbing and can't be seen, I've reinforced the outside with some clear doorway corner protector attached with silicone to take some of the stress off the original joint.

Since I'm using the original light I had when this was a C02 tank, it needed to be raised quite a bit above the tank. I did this using a simple copper pipe light holder mounted on a wooden base.

First, I countersunk 1/2" bolts into a $8 Ikea cutting board

Then slid some lengths of copper pipe over the extended ends. Originally I planned to solder the joints, but it was pretty sturdy just pressure fitted and I've never bothered to go back and do it. The light is just mounted here with zip ties for measurement purposes

I bought some manzinitia from an online craft store, as recommended in a few threads here. It was inexpensive, and I have enough branches to play around with.

Plumbing. I bolted everything onto the cutting board base to add some additional stability, as I have a cat and want to prevent any funny business while I'm not home. This tank is being filtered by an eheim 2213 with a 200w inline heater. After my previous adventures with heaters failing, I've also added a finnex heater controller for an extra level of backup.

Water in for a test fill. I bought some plants from a member here which will make up the bulk of my original planting. All low light, easy plants. Needle leaf fern, some anubias nana petite and Christmas moss.

The plants are all tied down. I've added some pennywort as a floater of sorts to help things settle in.

And here's the tank now. It's grown in pretty well, though things need some trimming and it could use a good cleaning.

D3monic, D3monic, Econde and 9 others like this.

Last edited by toastedtoast; 02-08-2017 at 10:59 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Algae Grower

Very nice....

DJ SureShot
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! So far its been pretty trouble-free, a little bit of bba in bright areas but nothing serious. The biggest problem has been resisting the temptation to break out the co2 system
danbayne, danbayne, Econde and 1 others like this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Since setting up this tank the shaded area on the left side, under the large branch, has bothered me. The fish liked hanging out there, but it was kind of dark, and boring with nothing there. I've finally gotten around to a bit of a rescape to fix that issue, and it's amazing how much plant volume was really hidden in the previous version of the tank. Looking at the last photo I posted, I would never have guessed how much java fern was really there.

Sorry for the poor quality, it's just a cellphone snapshot. There's still a bunch of mulm etc stirred up, but I'm already liking this layout more. it looks more balanced and shows off the fern and anubias better. I'm not sure what to do with the pennywort, it's pretty ugly but it's so good at soaking up nutrients that I think it's a critical part of my current lack of algae and I'm scared to dump it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Algae Grower

I love seeing small scapes because they are definitely more tricky to look pleasing.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 12:45 AM
Planted Member

Looks great....love the diy for the lights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck tenner View Post
Looks great....love the diy for the lights.
Thanks! Wish I could take credit for the idea, but I think I saw most parts of that in threads here in some form or another. It's great how many ideas you can get just browsing what people have done and piecing it together as needed.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 09:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

Nice lighting and good piece of wood

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The longer I look at it, the more I'm enjoying this new layout.

These low-tech plants are great, the effort to reward ratio is pretty incredible. This tank takes about 10 minutes to do a water change once per week and about a minute each day for dosing (I'm dosing 0.1X normal EI + 0.5ml excel daily)

Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode