Iwagumi 20g - first pressurized co2 tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Iwagumi 20g - first pressurized co2 tank

This is my first high tech tank. I decided to do a dry start since I don't have all my co2 equipment yet and I haven't drilled the holes in my stand for the filter.

Tank: Ultum Nature Systems 60U (60x36x36cm)
Stand: Ikea BESTÅ
Lights: Twinstar 600e
Filtration: Eheim 2273 w/ Hydor eth201 inline heater
Lily Pipes: ADA P-2 outflow, ADA V-1 inflow
Substrate: ADA Bacter 100, ADA Clear Super, Power Sand S, ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia Normal with a bit of Powder on top.
CO2: GLA Pro regulator w/ atomic inline diffuser, 5lb tank
Hardscape: seriyu stone

Flora:
hemianthus callitricoides 'cuba' (foreground)
echinodorus tenellus (mid around the rocks)
utricularia graminifolia (background)

Fauna: (none purchased so far, just my initial planning, could change)
15 or so trigonostigma espei (though I'm a bit wary as I've heard they are accomplished jumpers)
5 otocinclus cocama (zebra otos) if I can find them
caridina japonica (amano)
neocaridina zhangjiajiensis var 'white' (snowball)
caridina cantonensis sp 'blue' (blue tiger)

Just planted everything yesterday, thinking it'll take a least a month before I flood the tank. Any advice about dry start with these particular plants is welcomed. Some of the HC was a bit yellowed when I got it so I'm hoping it will be fine. All of the plants were cultures as I didn't want to deal with snails etc. I have the light on a timer for 10 hours a day.

This tank is low iron glass like the ADA ones and this tank is similar to a 60p except it's 6cm wider so it's 20 gallons as opposed to the 16 of a 60p. Also the glass is mitered on the edges which looks pretty cool.

Here is the tank on the stand. I currently don't have it there as I still need to drill the stand for the filter. This is two besta stands stacked as just one was a bit too small and the 'double sized' one was too tall so this is like one and a half. It also allows me more storage as the bottom will pretty much be taken up by the co2 tank and the canister filter.

McCarthy and McCarthy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 06:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Outstanding, great job!
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:27 PM
Algae Grower

Nice tank! I like how its 6cm wider than the ADA 60P. I'm using the IKEA Besta stand too except I didn't add an extra cabinet on top. Right now the tank is sitting perfectly at eye level when I'm sitting down watching TV. Our equipment is fairly similar so I took a photo of inside the cabinet to show you how I configured everything (check out my thread in the journal forum). For additional strength I joined all the pieces of the Besta cabinet with silicone on top of the hardware that came with the cabinet to prevent flexing. I also added a solid wooden brace underneath the top panel for additional support. After all this I tested the cabinet's strength by sitting and standing on top and it took my weight (220 lbs) without any issues.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenster View Post
Nice tank! I like how its 6cm wider than the ADA 60P. I'm using the IKEA Besta stand too except I didn't add an extra cabinet on top. Right now the tank is sitting perfectly at eye level when I'm sitting down watching TV. Our equipment is fairly similar so I took a photo of inside the cabinet to show you how I configured everything (check out my thread in the journal forum). For additional strength I joined all the pieces of the Besta cabinet with silicone on top of the hardware that came with the cabinet to prevent flexing. I also added a solid wooden brace underneath the top panel for additional support. After all this I tested the cabinet's strength by sitting and standing on top and it took my weight (220 lbs) without any issues.
Yeah the cabinet seems pretty sturdy. I've seen people reinforce it but I've also seen a lot of people that didn't bother. I bought the tv glass ikea sells to sit on top so at least any water that spills won't warp the top. I wonder if it's necessary to somehow waterproof the inside of it as well.

Where did you get the grommets you used to line the inside of the holes you drilled for the filter tubing? I can't decide if I should drill two holes or try to make it one large opening to have them pass through.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:56 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by auditinprogress View Post
Yeah the cabinet seems pretty sturdy. I've seen people reinforce it but I've also seen a lot of people that didn't bother. I bought the tv glass ikea sells to sit on top so at least any water that spills won't warp the top. I wonder if it's necessary to somehow waterproof the inside of it as well.

Where did you get the grommets you used to line the inside of the holes you drilled for the filter tubing? I can't decide if I should drill two holes or try to make it one large opening to have them pass through.
The grommets were purchased from Lowes up here in Canada. The brand is Hillman and they are 2" in diameter. The 1" grommet in the upper right corner (which took forever to source) was bought from a tool shop called Lee Valley in Toronto. If you plan to get grommets get the CE Tech ones from Home Depot because they are 1/4" deeper and will clear through the panel when you install them. The ones from Lowes fall about 1/8" short of going all the way through. Unfortunately the CE Tech ones are not available in Canada for those Canadians who are interested. I discovered them across the border at Home Depot in Niagara Falls, NY. Bought a bunch for my next project.

I went with 2 holes because I have a Forstner bit and a drill press that makes nice clean holes. Could have made one large hole instead but that would mean using my Dremel or Rotozip circle cutting tool which would increase the risk of messing up. Didn't want to take any chances in getting an ugly hole, haha.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
The grommets were purchased from Lowes up here in Canada. The brand is Hillman and they are 2" in diameter. The 1" grommet in the upper right corner (which took forever to source) was bought from a tool shop called Lee Valley in Toronto. If you plan to get grommets get the CE Tech ones from Home Depot because they are 1/4" deeper and will clear through the panel when you install them. The ones from Lowes fall about 1/8" short of going all the way through. Unfortunately the CE Tech ones are not available in Canada for those Canadians who are interested. I discovered them across the border at Home Depot in Niagara Falls, NY. Bought a bunch for my next project.

I went with 2 holes because I have a Forstner bit and a drill press that makes nice clean holes. Could have made one large hole instead but that would mean using my Dremel or Rotozip circle cutting tool which would increase the risk of messing up. Didn't want to take any chances in getting an ugly hole, haha.
Ah thanks. I found those on the Home Depot website. Do you think the smaller 1 1/2 inch grommets would be wide enough to pass the tubing through without crimping it? I got the 13mm lily pipes since they look better on my tank but my filter has the 16mm tubing so I'm going to have to use reducers to 12mm tubing (1/2 inch) Then I could just get a spade bit and cut the holes with my hand drill. I don't have a drill press (and it seems like forstner bits work better with those) Any issues with the MDF/particleboard or whatever splintering/cracking on the cuts?

Also I just noticed you have some sort of barrier on the bottom for waterproofing. What did you use for that and do you recommend it? Thank you for all the advice!
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 03:39 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Ah thanks. I found those on the Home Depot website. Do you think the smaller 1 1/2 inch grommets would be wide enough to pass the tubing through without crimping it? I got the 13mm lily pipes since they look better on my tank but my filter has the 16mm tubing so I'm going to have to use reducers to 12mm tubing (1/2 inch) Then I could just get a spade bit and cut the holes with my hand drill. I don't have a drill press (and it seems like forstner bits work better with those) Any issues with the MDF/particleboard or whatever splintering/cracking on the cuts?

Also I just noticed you have some sort of barrier on the bottom for waterproofing. What did you use for that and do you recommend it? Thank you for all the advice!
1 1/2 inch will work but the tubing will need to loop further away from the grommet to avoid crimping. You have more flexibility with a 2" or wider grommet. You can always use Eheim 90 degree elbow connectors if you have a problem with crimping. If you want to avoid splintering make sure your spade is sharp and hold the drill steady. Always drill a small pilot hole to act as a guide for the spade so that it doesn't go all over the place.

The barrier at the bottom is just a kitchen cabinet liner I bought from IKEA. I use it to cushion the equipment so that they don't slide around. If you want to water proof the cabinet then I'd suggest caulking the inside perimeter on all 3 sides.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
1 1/2 inch will work but the tubing will need to loop further away from the grommet to avoid crimping. You have more flexibility with a 2" or wider grommet. You can always use Eheim 90 degree elbow connectors if you have a problem with crimping. If you want to avoid splintering make sure your spade is sharp and hold the drill steady. Always drill a small pilot hole to act as a guide for the spade so that it doesn't go all over the place.

The barrier at the bottom is just a kitchen cabinet liner I bought from IKEA. I use it to cushion the equipment so that they don't slide around. If you want to water proof the cabinet then I'd suggest caulking the inside perimeter on all 3 sides.
Yeah only thing I don't like about the eheim connectors is they are green and I have clear tubing I want to use outside of the tank. I probably should just do the 2" holes since yours don't look that big.

Where did you get the clips you are using to hold the hose/inline heater to the interior of the cabinet? I've been trying to search home depot's website but I keep finding just hose clamps which are just used to bind hoses together.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:05 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Yeah only thing I don't like about the eheim connectors is they are green and I have clear tubing I want to use outside of the tank. I probably should just do the 2" holes since yours don't look that big.

Where did you get the clips you are using to hold the hose/inline heater to the interior of the cabinet? I've been trying to search home depot's website but I keep finding just hose clamps which are just used to bind hoses together.
Yeah, the grommet holes aren't really that big plus they give you ample room to avoid crimping (see new photos).

I got the clips from Lowes. They are just regular 1/2 inch nylon cable clamps that you can find in the electrical section of any home hardware store. I had to cut part of the clamps (see photo) to make hose hangers out of them.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah I heard the Espeis are good jumpers. Maybe other nano schoolers like Boraras might be better? Microdevario kubotai? Ember tetras if you like em. Although you may be able to keep the Espeis but you'll have to drop your water level a a few inches below the top. My Pseudomugils are a bit jumpy, but they stopped once I dropped the water level. Also, if you can fit more fish in (and by my estimates you can), I would get some more Otos maybe get to a total of 8? They do better in bigger groups.
My advice for the dry start is to make sure you don't make everything too wet, the water should never be above the substrate line, or else trouble will brew (in the form of fungus and BGA). Also give the tank an air out every day or few days for a few minutes.
Also you can put a yoga mat under the tank before you put it down on the stand. Can't remember the exact physics of why it is good, but it is supposed to help!
Otherwise everything seems good. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Less talking! More pictures!
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Yeah I heard the Espeis are good jumpers. Maybe other nano schoolers like Boraras might be better? Microdevario kubotai? Ember tetras if you like em. Although you may be able to keep the Espeis but you'll have to drop your water level a a few inches below the top. My Pseudomugil are a bit jumpy, but they stopped once I dropped the water level. Also, if you can fit more fish in (and by my estimates you can), I would get some more Otos maybe get to a total of 8? They do better in bigger groups.
My advice for the dry start is to make sure you don't make everything too wet, the water should never be above the substrate line, or else trouble will brew (in the form of fungus and BGA). Also give the tank an air out every day or few days for a few minutes.
Also you can put a yoga mat under the tank before you put it down on the stand. Can't remember the exact physics of why it is good, but it is supposed to help!
Otherwise everything seems good. Good luck!
Yeah I like the thought of chili rasboras but they don't really school they just sorta hang out in a big clump. They're also so tiny. The neon green rasboras look cool but I feel like their coloration will be too similar to the plants (and I would assume they probably jump too?) Ember tetras would work but then if I'm going to put those in I'd rather just put the Espeis in there as they're slightly more interesting.

I know otos like to be in big groups I'm just worried about having too many of them cause of starvation.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
Less talking! More pictures!
Haha sorry. I've been taking daily pics with my DSLR to show any progress but not much has changed. I'm also worried since the depth of field is gonna make it so you can't really see the back of the tank (it's all blurry)

This weekend I will probably drill the stand so once that's done I can move the tank to it's final spot on the stand and can figure out my camera angle better.

Is there going to be any issue moving the tank with everything in it? There's probably 50lbs of rock and substrate in there. Obviously no water though.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

Its possible to move it.... Wont be fun tho. I wouldnt do it alone.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah Boraras species more loosely shoal, they don't really school. I would just go with the Espeis TBH, they will work well. Yea I understand with the Otos you run the risk of making them hungry, you could supplement the food with algae wafers or blanched vegetables if you want. The shrimp would like that food too. Maybe 8 Otos is too much, 6 would be a good number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 01:34 AM
Algae Grower

OP, how is the clarity of the glass and silicone job of your tank? Is it crystal clear or do you see any tinge of green? Seriously thinking of making this 60U my next tank if comparable to ADA quality. Also how is the Twinstar light compared to ADA's Aquasky?

Tags
dsm, iwagumi, uns60u

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode