• 4 Post By grassrootsLABS
  • 4 Post By Opare
  • 2 Post By Seanlv1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First 10g Tank; Aquascaping & Baby Tears

Hey fellas,

I'm totally new here (also to the hobby) and figured I'd share my first tank.

It's just a cheapo 10g filled with different rocks and such. I suppose I could've gone with the low iron-rimless fancy tanek but perhaps I will splurge once I study a little more.
I'm currently waiting for my Eheim canister but decided to stick in the free filter I got just to clear out the muddy water. Since I received my GLA co2 paintball set up before even starting the scaping I decided to forego DSM and just try to grow HC in water. It was filled earlier today and had its first day of EI. I really should clean the glass..

Hoping that the view will be much more natural once the canister gets here and the bulky power filter gets out of the tank. Also stuck in a small pump to circulate the water a bit.

I'm not entirely sure what I'll be stocking this tank with. It's hard not to think about the CRS whenever I see HC and shrimp stratum.

I did read through the forum rules but am left a little confused by the photo image limit; I posted these via Photobucket so I'm not sure if I need to tinker with the size further (since it's not a direct upload).

Anyhow, thanks for stopping by, I studied a lot through this place and am glad to finally post my first tank here. You guys have been incredibly helpful for a newbie.

Cheers
Opare, Opare, nel and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hello and welcome! Tank is looking good!
Seanlv1 and Seanlv1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 09:46 PM
Algae Grower

Man awesome looking tank, great first go at it. Excited to see this one grow in. Keep up the good work. It's amazing to see people who actually do some homework before starting it up. I picture this tank with some beautiful shrimp and a group of oto. Then when your population grows out for the shrimp you could add a small school of chili or emerald rasbora. Eh just a thought.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Econde, Econde, Seanlv1 and 1 others like this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 04:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

First 10g Tank; Aquascaping & Baby Tears

Great job, this is a really good scape. Hard to believe it is a first try.
One thing I could suggest though, you might want to split up the HC into smaller clumps and replant them. It will make the HC go a longer way, and sometimes planting in big clumps can cause die off, as the plant can choke itself out. Also since you the tank is just gonna be HC you don't really need to dose full EI. There is not really any harm, but you could definitely get away with PPS-Pro (a leaner regime) or just divide your EI dosing by a half or even a fifth.
As for inhabitants CRS sounds like a good idea! Just check your parameters. They can be adaptable but the road tends to be smoother if your water is ideal for them. As Grassroots said, some Chili Rasboras or small schooling fish like that would be perfect once the CRS colony gets big enough. You may not be able to fit in Otos as well though.
Again great scape, and wish you the best of luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Econde, Econde, Seanlv1 and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassrootsLABS View Post
Man awesome looking tank, great first go at it. Excited to see this one grow in. Keep up the good work. It's amazing to see people who actually do some homework before starting it up. I picture this tank with some beautiful shrimp and a group of oto. Then when your population grows out for the shrimp you could add a small school of chili or emerald rasbora. Eh just a thought.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Hello and welcome! Tank is looking good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Great job, this is a really good scape. Hard to believe it is a first try.
One thing I could suggest though, you might want to split up the HC into smaller clumps and replant them. It will make the HC go a longer way, and sometimes planting in big clumps can cause die off, as the plant can choke itself out. Also since you the tank is just gonna be HC you don't really need to dose full EI. There is not really any harm, but you could definitely get away with PPS-Pro (a leaner regime) or just divide your EI dosing by a half or even a fifth.
As for inhabitants CRS sounds like a good idea! Just check your parameters. They can be adaptable but the road tends to be smoother if your water is ideal for them. As Grassroots said, some Chili Rasboras or small schooling fish like that would be perfect once the CRS colony gets big enough. You may not be able to fit in Otos as well though.
Again great scape, and wish you the best of luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, everyone!

I really didn't feel like torturing shrimpies or the plants so I figured I'd learn as much as I can before doing it. I didn't know that the HC could still thrive at sub-EI dosing levels; thanks for the tidbit. I am indeed thinking about the rasboras. I plan on getting couple of rasboras once I see couple generations of shrimplets. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]
Econde and Econde like this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
+1 that is a really good hardscape

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode