Journal: Living Room 45g Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
smj
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Journal: Living Room 45g Tank

Why not start one of these? It looks slightly better than just talking to myself.

I've finally started preparing the 45G tank that's been waiting for coming up on two years. Moved the bookcases over the summer, then dealt with business travel in autumn, and the holidays. Finally this past weekend I finished the wiring for the outlet that I won't be able to get to when there's a quarter ton of water in the way. Hmm, hope the floor holds...

Going about this completely backwards, I picked up a used, unfinished 38 x 14 x 25" stand for free a couple years ago, refinished it, and started looking for something that would fit on it. I found this used 45G tank via Craigslist from a family with pretty small children - not sure if that was a factor, but I was happy to take it. Tested the tank overnight, no leaks. They had painted the back flat black and had mesh foam drawer liner glued to the bottom - which stuck to the finish of the stand, annoyingly enough.

I've put a cut down black foam yoga mat beneath the stand, to keep random water splashes off the hardwood floor. Cut another mat to match the dimensions of the stand, partly to keep dribbles from getting into the finish/wood, partly to insulate the bottom of the tank.

So far it's just got one bag of MG:OC mixed 3:1 with coarse sand, by eyeball 1" in back and 1/4-1/2 in front. It'll get another bag mixed the same, and I've got two bags of black Eco-Complete for a cap. Might try a "pool" of coarse sand somewhere in the foreground - then again, I might need that just for the hair grass... I've got two pieces of manzanita/driftwood from an LFS, and some pieces of a cherry tree from my back yard that didn't survive the drought. Also a fair bit of stone, all of this has been boiled and soaked.

There's no real theme for this tank at this point, other than to have decent horizontal space for a change and not be an algae farm. I want vals and rotala indica in the back, dwarf hairgrass in front. I've got some c. wendtii, java fern, and the offspring of the anubais that took over my 15G vertical before I rebuilt it in my office. Some ludwigia might be nice, if the good LFS has it.

Haven't settled on the fauna yet. There's a small pleco that's been cruelly confined to the 10G since I rebuilt the 15V, who will no doubt appreciate more space. Part of me would like to see a school of cardinal tetras, and I've got a soft spot for the hasbrosus pygmy corys.

Lighting is in the works. I've got a used Fluval 206 to try, and if that doesn't work another one NIB.

Edit: Hmm, I don't see options to insert attached photos within the post. But you can with linked photos. I'll poke at it some more, and maybe think about hosting them elsewhere. Meantime front view attached here, and a couple more views in the following post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	initial-front.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	714994  

Last edited by smj; 01-25-2017 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Adding photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
smj
Algae Grower

Other initial photos

Rest of the initial photos. Three-quarter view showing the "spill mat." Close up of the insulating mat between tank and stand - the top of the stand is open in the center. You can just see the drawer liner mesh glued to the bottom of the tank. And a shot showing possible placement of the canister filter. I'd just have to empty half the cabinet every month or so to haul it out - too tall to fit inside...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	initial-3quarter.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	715002  

Name:	mat-on-stand.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	715010  

Attached Images

15G vertical (AGA) - home office tank
10G regular - temporary
45G regular/tall - living room tank, starting Jan 2017
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
smj
Algae Grower

Something I read in the forums here or elsewhere made me realize I'll be putting 450-500 pounds (200+ kg) on four 1.5x4" points on the floor of a house built in 1906... So I went out and got a 1/2" thick sheet of MDF to put under the tank and spread the load out a bit. The board's got a foam yoga mat under it to avoid marking up the floor, another above it for spills.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stand-on-MDF.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	718714  

10G regular - temporary

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
smj
Algae Grower

Initial lighting rigged

I created another thread for the LED lighting I've rigged for this tank: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...ml#post9903098

Uses off-the-shelf LED floodlights, two of them draw 45-50W, and I'm measuring 2,500 lumens dead center of the stand with the fixture suspended 26" or so above it. There's room for a third light if this doesn't get me to medium-high light levels. Or, I could cut another plank for the larger 50W lights...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2155.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	718914  

10G regular - temporary
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 05:07 PM
Algae Grower

Any updates smj?
I am curious about your light setup.
Thinking of the same lamps for my 45g low tech. Do you think 2x30w would be too much for me?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Mike
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
smj
Algae Grower

Oh, hey there Mike - sorry, I had to get a new job in the Mach/April timeframe, and have been pretty busy in the meantime. In fact I hardly get to see my tanks lit most of the week, what with the commute.

From where I left off, I had added a third 30W 6500K light. This combination has worked pretty well for me, if it doesn't count as High Light it's at least the high side of Medium. Enough to keep the dwarf hairgrass happy, but maybe not as much as the staurogyne would like as it gets leggy. But then I have large duck weed in there, which sometimes gets away from me and cuts off a lot of the light...

Anyway I'll try to fill in the blanks and bring this thread up to date soon.

10G regular - temporary

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode