• 2 Post By Sean W.
  • 2 Post By bcarl_10gal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Bcarl's Rimless Journal

Hi all,

I have been running my 17gallon rimless tank since early October. I wanted to share with you all by way of a journal as a source of inspiration for others and feedback on various things to try. A quick summary of what you missed so far: plants had a tough time at first but started to dig in after about a month or so, the background plants have struggled for quite some time now. I went through a period of time where I had plants melting so I increased water changes and stopped dosing macros and that seems to have helped. I have reduced the amount of iron in my micro doses and have just started dosing again.

Tanks
Aquamaxx 17gal rimless

Filtration/Flow
Ehiem 2217 Canister
Ehiem surface skimmer
Hydor Korlia Nano 240
Knock-off Lily pipes

Co2
GLA GRO Regulator
Rex Griggs Reactor

Substrate:
ADA Aquasoil Powder/Regular mix

Light
BML 24 inch 6300K (dimmed 15%, 6 hours)
Current Sat plus pro 18 inch

Last edited by bcarl_10gal; 01-25-2017 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Equipment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Weekly update: Removed the rocks for removing all that BBA (no staged shots in this thread). Pogo seems to be getting better growth, along with the AR mini an others. Waiting to see if the bacopa and mermaid weed make a comeback before ordering background plants.

Other changes: added ZnSo4 to my micro mix, removed Kno3 and went Urea only, also added 1/4 TSP of MgSo4 during the water change and 1/4 tsp of GH boost.

Econde and Econde like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 06:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Looks good, Tho in my opinion its screaming for a background!
KayakJimW and KayakJimW like this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
Agreed! You should be able to see the true bonsai i next week's picture. Trying to give the bacopa and mermaid weed a chance..... They are growing but I need it to get taller before I trim. I will definitely need something on the left. I have buces in another tank but I don't think the will be big enough. I could move the L. Cardnilis back there and put the buces in the front.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4irXQhgMqg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 03:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Ha good one.

I see no back - ground and I want it paint - ed black...

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am a big fan of the window paper I put on the back... just gotta put some plants in front of it....
KayakJimW and KayakJimW like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Weekly update time! Tank is moving in the right direction, only comment on plant growth was the curling of some ludwigia red tips. Other than that growth is looking pretty good in all areas. I added the rocks back which looks much better now with all that BBA gone. Water params: 500 TDS, 9dGH, 4dKH, Ca 40ppm, Mg 15ppm, N 20-30ppm, P 1ppm. I believe my hardness is a little high and would like to bring it back to 6-7 range. Also the TDS is high as well, too much salts and ferts going in my tank. My 50/50 water has a TDS of 300 so I will shift to a 75/25 mix going forward to try to target a source water TDS of 200 with a tank TDS around 300ish. Lastly I am going to transition this tank away from my EI macros (I did not does Micros by EI standards). I will be dosing the same mix just scaling it down. Enjoy the pics!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

2/11/17 Update: Tank really liked those tweaks. I do think the micros are still a little unbalanced as I saw a little melting. This was probably due to lowering the hardness a bit. I cut my micros back a little bit more. I dose very little micros. This tank seems to do really well with a lot of surface agitation as well, I can see such a difference when I have good oxygenation. Sumps are starting to make a lot of sense. I also tweaked my Co2 a bit to hopefully cut back on the BBA, Now comes on about an hours earlier. I also have largely underestimated trimming in the past and have seen such a big difference after trimming every week. I hope to do a little rescaping in a few months when I am home again. As always enjoy the pictures.

2/19/17 Update: I have never seen such great color out of my red plants. Here is what I think made the difference, lowered GH, dosing only Urea, and increasing the lighting. Now with that being said I am seeing some weird melting in some plants. I believe it's due to some imbalance of traces, could also be lack of phosphate. Both Nitrate and Phosphates were pretty low before the water change on saturday. I increased macros back to were they were and dosed a pinch of P after the water change. I also will take a week off from traces. Other random notes is I have cleaned up the Bylxa and Cardinalis. The star repens and filter are next weekends project. As for the pH pen I have about a pH of 5.7 before lights on and by lights off it was actually 6.0 which is something to keep and eye on when I do my test. Degassed tank water is about a 6.5. Enjoy the pics!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode