25G Cube with Sump - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
25G Cube with Sump

Hi Planted Tankers! I have had aquariums on and off since I was 7 and had planted tanks for a few years now. I just moved in to a new house and since I had to disassemble my tank for the move it is time to upgrade.

My first planted tank was a 10g that was fish and fake plants for a few years before I got the planted tank bug. Started out with HOB and the light that came in the lid. By the time it was disassembled I had upgrade the lighting to a Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ and Eheim canister filter. The hobby is proving additive. (Pic 1&2)

My second planted tank was a 25g rimless cube on a DIY stand with DIY CO2. I reused the Current LED+ and Eheim canister. (Pic 3&4)

Now the new plan is to reuse the 25g cube, Current LED+, and driftwood but set it up with a 10g sump/refugium in a new DIY stand. I am hoping to create a low-light tank with primarily Crypts. I'm hoping to set the refugium on opposite lighting schedule to help regulate PH and dissolved CO2/O2. So, some quick stats:

Aguarium: 25g Marineland Rimless Cube (D18"xW18i"xH19")

Stand: DIY - 1x3 and 1x6 frame skinned with 1/4" plywood on side and back and 1/2" (D24"xW18"xH55") Stain will be natural with poly coat.

Lighting: 18" Current Freshwater LED+

Overflow: Eshopps Eclipse S

Sump: 10g from Petco $1/g sale

Return Pump: Danner Supreme Aqua-Mag 3

Last picture is the first water test from a few days ago. Everything worked well and held water (minus the non-glued plumbing which was expected), so I am now in the process of painting/staining/sealing for final assembly. I'll post build progress pics in a future post.

While I have been at this for a few years I would still consider myself a newbie. Any advise/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Bump: Here is the pic of the fill test.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	First Planted Tank Start.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	713898  

Name:	First Planted Tank Final.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	713906  

Name:	Second Planted Tank Start.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	713914  

Name:	Second Planted Tank Cabinet Shot.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	713922  

Name:	First Fill.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	713954  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

The Stand

While I had a perfectly good stand from the previous setup it wasn't going to work for the new setup. So, back to the drawing board. The stand is 24" deep, 18" wide, 35" high to the tank platform, and 54.5" high in the back section. Making the stand 24" deep allowed me to fit a standard 10g tank in the stand to use a sump as well as 6" behind the aquarium to hide all the plumbing and external overflow box.

The frame uses 1x3s for the vertical supports and 1x6s for the horizontal frame. I went with the thicker 1x6s to increase stability, using 1x3s made it difficult to keep square and I worried long term it might list to one side.

The side and back of the stand is skinned with 1/4" plywood while the front is 1/2" plywood. I cut a window in the door to display the planted refugium.

Besides the front door, there will be an access hatch on the top of the back section and the top half of the back panel is removable in case major renovations are in order and I don't want to move and/or completely drain the tank.

Originally I had intended for there to be a canopy but it was proving too difficult to line up with both the stand and the aquarium so in the interest of completing the project I cut the top off. There will be more light spill and evaporation but I'll survive.

I finished staining the stand today, went with a natural finish stain. I am hoping to start applying poly coats tomorrow.

Bump:

Bump:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bare Frame 2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	714010  

Name:	Bare Frame.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	714018  

Name:	Canopy Attempt.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	714026  

Name:	Skinned Frame.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	714034  

Name:	Skinned Frame w Door.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	714042  

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Stand Update

Finished the last coat of poly yesterday. Tonight I attached the cabinet door and the hatch to access the overflow. Then I siliconed the seam between the sides and bottom of the stand as well as the seam on the aquarium platform. Giving the silicone at least 24 hrs to cure then it is on to the final water test before moving it up to it's final home.

Bump:

Bump:

Bump: The Sump
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stand Assembled.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	715234  

Name:	Silicon Sealed.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	715242  

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Big update today. I have been busy but making progress on the tank.

The Overflow

For the overflow I went with the Eshopps Eclipse S kit. Being my first attempt drilling a tank I wanted a kit that included everything. I must say I am impressed with the build quality of the overflow and the drill kit. While the drilling was stressful and time consuming (15min of drilling) it was easy and I won't be as apprehensive next time around. I'm reusing the drill bit and template on an aquaponics project I am working on. Plumbing on this side was very easy since it was a straight vertical drop. Added unions to be able to get the sump in and out as well as a gate valve on the non-emergency side to keep it quiet.

The Sump/Refugium

The layout for the sump and refugium is very simple. It is set up in a U-shape with the overflows going into the top left corner of the U, the fuge taking up the bottom of the U and the return pump in the top right corner. The dividers are made of acrylic. From the overflow side it waterfalls into the fuge to allow it to circulate well. On the return side it flows through a series of slits I cut with a router. I have 30 ppi Poret foam on the overflow side and 20 ppi on the return pump side.

Finally a couple of pics of the filled tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Drilling the Glass.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	725714  

Name:	Glass Drilling Success.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	725722  

Name:	Overflow Mount.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	725730  

Name:	Full Plumbing View.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	725738  

Name:	Sump Flow.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	725746  

Name:	Plumbing in Pump.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	725754  

Name:	FTS 1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	725770  

Name:	Sump 1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	725778  

Attached Images

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode