Tsing's 135 Hybrid - overdue update March - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 712Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 370 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Added a check valve

Converted the wet/dry sump to a fully submerged sump. Black foam = 30 ppi, Blue foam 45 ppi. think i threw in 15 lbs of pumice stone in there.

The plastic pot scrubbies are gonna be removed

Full Tank shot:

planning to add Ammania Gracilis next to the Bacopa. The Ludwigia sp Red died awhile ago, dunno if it was due to overcrowding or some co2 related problem

AR Mini recovering

added a melon sword to where the old Ludwigia sp red was. it's been there for a week and doing good already. (it's in between the anubias and and amazon sword)

still have some hair algae in my moss and bba on the wood, just gonna spot dose h2o2 tomorrow (water change day). probably need to shorten the photo period from 8hrs to 7hrs.

weeping moss has been growing ridiculously the past 4 months, one of the boxes is completely full.
the inside dimensions of the breeder boxes are about 7" x 3.8" x 3" to give you an idea of how much is packed in there.

dunno what to do with the moss yet, maybe a carpet or wall? kinda hesitant though because of easily it catches detritus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SingAlongWithTsing; 04-07-2017 at 03:30 AM. Reason: ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 370 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

April 22nd, 2017

Hardware update:
built a light rack for the LEDs, I don't really trust the steel legs lol. the rack might end up becoming a canopy someday.

Plant Update:
removed the Ludwigia Rubin and replaced with Ludwigia Peruensis

Added Nesaea pedicellata 'Golden'

Added Micranthemum Tweedie sp. Monte carlo

Added Ammania Gracilis? (ebay Dealer says its Gracilis but it doesn't look like any kind I've seen before)

That Argentine? Sword might e a problem in the future

FTS:

Still need to figure out whats causing the BBA on driftwood and the hair algae on the mosses. one cause could be the light coming in from the window

post #33 of 370 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nuisance sunlight does seem to be a secret cause for algae for many. I think that might be indeed be the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChrisX likes this.

post #34 of 370 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

remember how i was trying to find the leak a couple of weeks back and couldn't find anything then? i found it now lol. what's dumb is that it only leaks if the tube gets bumped at a certain angle. replacing the push to connect with some compression fittings when they get here.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6JeKgYgsfk
light rack / future canopy is up

the LEDS are about 10" above the water surface; it only needed to be 9" above but whatever, more space to work with. 30" between the substrate and LEDs, about 172ish PAR at center and 55ish at the corners i think.

something wonky going on with the Nesaea pedicellata 'Golden'

Peruensis dropping its lower leaves, dunno if due to overcrowding causing not enough light to get to the bottom or if it's just my return blasting them off

did the drastic thing and ripped off most of my moss due to hair algae

dunno how i feel about this new piece of wood yet, its kinda chunkier than the rest

1-2-punching the weeping moss

Last edited by SingAlongWithTsing; 05-09-2017 at 02:12 AM. Reason: ...
post #35 of 370 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
You're losing a lot of efficiency of your bio media by having it not take up the entire chamber. A lot of water will flow over top of it and not threw it.

post #36 of 370 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
You're losing a lot of efficiency of your bio media by having it not take up the entire chamber. A lot of water will flow over top of it and not threw it.
ive been considering going back to the wet dry cuz of that but i would lose out on being able to use the filter sock. the filter sock seems to be doing a better job at picking up particulates than the polyfil. filter sock set up is a lot quieter too, no sounds from water hitting a drip plate

edit: foam pad before the pumps i usually just leave alone for additional bio, but yeah i need to figure out a better way to stack the pumice

i cant take my sump out and glue baffles in without taking the middle leg out of the stand, and my stand's only made of 2x4's. i should of went with 2x6 for the top frame and this wouldnt have been a problem.

i can still try out they idea with the tetra pond filter box (attach return and co2 pump to the box and just stack the 15lb of pumice stone on top of the box)

edit 2: rolled up the pumice stone like sushi rolls, there's 5 "rolls" in there. the cororplast was extra insurance to make sure the rolls stay equal in length to the inner width of the sump. the container is just some moss i had left over, the sump light is just a yescom 20", it's on for about 4hrs a day.

Last edited by SingAlongWithTsing; 05-09-2017 at 07:21 AM. Reason: ...
post #37 of 370 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:59 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I hope you get the algae taken care of because that driftwood is amazing, and needs to be coated in moss again lol

Too many tanks, never enough plants...
post #38 of 370 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Tank looks great and good luck with the BBA. I've been fighting it for months now. I have it under control but cannot get rid of it to save my life.

Tank Journal -
post #39 of 370 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Branches re-mossed after a massive hair algae outbreak (probably caused by plants from my outdoor pond or decaying food that got stuck). took out the chunk Malaysian driftwood that was at the right. Spent like 4hrs tying the back branches (couldnt removed the wood from the tank, would lose the scape), front branches i tied the the nite before.

Pretty sure I killed off the BBA on the front 2 wood pieces, the process:
Sprayed H2O2 on the pieces, letting the H2O2 do its work for about 5 to 8 mins. This was done outside the tank.
Next i hit it with Glutaraldehyde, letting it do it's work for 5 to 8 mins also. This was done outside the tank.
Took the driftwood to the bath tub, ran hot water on it while I scrubbed off the dead/dying BBA.
Finally soaked the wood in a bucket of hot water for a few mins.

Friday updates:
Need to prune the AR Mini some more:

Ammania Gracilis

Need to fill up some spaces between the Ludwigia Peruensis and nesaea pedicellata gold
herns, herns, Ben Belton and 9 others like this.

post #40 of 370 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 10:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
glad to see the moss back. always felt that was the best feature of your tank. well done!
post #41 of 370 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Tank is looking great and I know how much of a PIA it must've been to deal with the BBA. I still cannot completely eradicate it from my tank and there is not a realistic way for me to remove the driftwood. I'm hoping to just keep it under control. Looking forward to your next update.

Tank Journal -
post #42 of 370 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Did an 80% water change today. accidentally dosed about 45ppm of K during the last fert cycle and the leaves on AR Mini, Ammania, and Ludwigia Perunesis were curling/twisting.

Stretch out the AR Mini a bit. pruned em a bit too.

Trimmed Bacopa. Gonna try to find a plant that can deal with high currents for that spot behind the Ludwigia Perunesis

The new leaves on the Nasea Golden are coming in nice

Probably gonna add more anubias or bucephalandra to fill in those gaps in front of the swords. not sure how i feel about that huge anubias on the driftwood

Ripped out the lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae in this spot, not sure what i wanna replace it with.

FTS

Side Shots

herns, herns, rzn7z7 and 5 others like this.

post #43 of 370 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

bought a bunch of rotalas and filled some of it in the gap here. thanks @herns. might replace it with some pinkish bacopa if i can get my hands on some lol

added some java fern too, not sure about the placement yet

lagenandra meeboldii red

Ludwigia Perunesis and Nasaea Gold are doing good now, after upping my KNO3 and KH2PO4. thanks @burr740 and @Pikez (from barrreport).

Fert Schedule:

might tweak my Micros a bit later down the road.

FTS:
burr740, burr740, Opare and 1 others like this.

post #44 of 370 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 05:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
How's the Anubias doing? Did you end up removing it all to be safe?

post #45 of 370 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
How's the Anubias doing? Did you end up removing it all to be safe?

the ones i know for sure that are infected with rot are out of the tank, they died with in a week. the big one that im worried about is being quarantined in a 5 gal at the moment. haven't seen the other anubias rot yet

Tags
135 gallon, high kh, inert substrate, sbreef, sump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode