Tsing's 135 Hybrid - overdue update March - Page 25 - The Planted Tank Forum
 713Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #361 of 370 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
@SingAlongWithTsing how is the mess / lack of mess situation when rearranging plants with STS?

Do you gravel vac it at all?

I've got 2 50lb bags sitting in my basement in case of future use, came free from a family members work, labeled as "aquatic plant pond media" for some reason they figured I should have it lol, can't imagine why..... but the ingredient list is that of Safe-T-Sorb's.
only been up for 3 weeks, haven't had to any of that yet lol. dont even have fish in here, not until the montecarlo roots look strong enough.

what I can say is that it was easier planting in 2" of Black Diamond vs 2" of STS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 370 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Killed off most of w/e the hell that algae was (definitely not a fluffy diatom) it's almost non-existent now. Hit the tank with 5 days straight with Algaefix instead of their every 3 days approach, if I had fish or shrimp (shrimps will die even with the normal Algaefix routine) in here I wouldnt have taken the gamble. Siphoned the dead algae everyday up til maintenance day too.

Pond and Ramhorn snails survived the routine, breeding now too. Guess the algae was enough to feed em lol.

Montecarlo spreading out

AR Rosefolia

Blyxa recovering and growing

Need to solve some algae related things with the buce, might spot dose with glut and gamble with the leopard val.

and nah that's not cyano, it's either some type of super thick GDA that won't come off or a big cluster of GSA. the BBA is from the old scape.

Random top shots

FTS

that weird streak of light in the pic is from the tortoise tank

Camera Notes
Still need to learn how to use this Canon EOS M50, some shot looks a lil purpler than irl and vs the Sony A6000 (the camera I used for my last contest entry)

Equipment notes
The gyre is in the tank but it's never on, debating on getting a smaller one because this one is way too strong even on the lowest setting
May remove the air pump in the k1 section and replace it with a venturi plumbed off the manifold.

Fert Notes

may bump po4 up to see if itll help with the GSA?, I'm not sure yet.
very minimal GDA on glass with the current routine, Im not sure if I want to mess with it tbh lol

Last edited by SingAlongWithTsing; 01-14-2020 at 01:47 AM. Reason: ...
post #363 of 370 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

New Additions, kind of
Got some plants in from Tim S. on FB. My water and dosing is kinda opposite of his. My water is hard and I dose where in the middle I guess, he has RO water and doses lean. I think he's running high co2 too.

this will be my 3rd round (or maybe 2nd round?) vs Rotala Tulunadensis. Came in the mail perfectly fine, maybe it's because we both live in the same state?

Limno Aromatica or Hippuroides, we're not sure. In the past I had really hot pink ones, this red/magenta is a first for me.

Rotala Macranda Mini IV, and yeah it was that neon when it came in the mail.

we'll see how they do in the next 4 months. all 3 plants are in the areas with good flow and light.

Algae
BBA on driftwood mostly, but it's expected.

The GDA is back after like a month, note this return line isnt open

Ngl, this viewing angle always pisses me off. I keep thinking "damn why am I wasting all this space on just monte carlo?"

GSA creeping up but not too crazily. Not sure if it's a flow problem or PO4 problem. Some of the buces and anubias are 3+ years old, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I have 6 options:
1) 19:1 water:bleach to bleach dip plants in a bucket
2) nerite snails cuz they love that GSA
3) raise my phosphate level and wait 2~3 weeks
4) cut and regrow leaves
5) increase flow going to the front side of the tank.
6) convert my secondary bio chamber into a refugium and toss all the water lettuce in there and slap an LED on there, light cycle would be the opposite of the display tank to avoid competing with the plants.

Haven't reached the point where I'll try all 6 options at once yet.

Shots from Above

Potential Changes

Gonna have to play with the max height for the next couple of months
Macranda is a maybe, it draws too much attention as it is right now lol
Debating on moving the Novogeensis. Spot 1 is too dark, spot 2 I have to figure out how to fit a small cup of STS between some branches, spot 3 might be way too far.

Misc Troubles
There's some green hydra and planaria hanging at the lower portions of the front glass. If anyone has advice on how to handle this, I'm all ears.

Ferts
Dec ?? ~ Jan 26th

Jan 27th ~ ??

Bumping up PO4 for now

Last edited by SingAlongWithTsing; 02-01-2020 at 04:43 AM. Reason: ...

post #364 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Been awhile. Can't post much cuz it's close to the IAPLC2020 deadline, got about 2 months left I think

Time line's important in the next couple of pics, breaking up the update in 2 or more posts

Feb 21st
finally switched to a led background, using the current usa serene led kit here

Feb 27th?

Feb 28th?
finally moved the fish

everything looks fine and dandy right?
Greggz, rzn7z7, burr740 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by SingAlongWithTsing; 03-16-2020 at 12:09 PM. Reason: ...
post #365 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Rolling into March, mostly going down hill from here

March 2nd
Some time between the end of January and March 2nd I was doing 15 ppm K per week, guess it was too much cuz it punched a hole in one of my buce, crinkled the new growth on my Ludwigia sp Red, and twisted and hardened some new growth on the AR Rosefolia. No idea what type of hair algae is stuck on the glass.

March 10th
Brown diatoms return and what I believe to be staghorn algae is popping up in some areas

Montecarlo is still green, kind of

March 15th
diatoms are still everywhere, moved the Blyxa out of the shade in hopes of getting its color back

swapped from a vertical spray bar to a horizontal spray bar, it's placed low to assist the gyre; placing it higher may cause some chaotic laminar pattern in the middle of the tank. gyre pump re-added to the tank on the right side under the overflow, manage to slow it down by making mesh sleeves for it. the sleeves also prevent shrimp, snails, and plants from getting sucked into it.

at least these guys are healthy

so what's screwing up the tank over the past 3 weeks? I'm not sure. Something similar happened last year around this time too.

List of possibilities:
1) I plugged 8 osmocote balls into the sub, maybe they got loose and are somewhere in the tank releasing ammonia and who knows what

2) My tap water is 8.2 pH this time of year vs the 8.0 between October/November ~ January

3) The 15 ppm K on top of my high Ca was enough to inhibit Boron uptake. Slow Boron uptake = excess silicic acid = diatom bloom. This theory works if freshwater diatoms are the same as the reef ones (some reef keepers dose some form of silica to induce diatoms to feed their fish) AND if aquatic plants follow the same biochemical sequence as terrestrial ones.

The ragged hole in the buce leaf, twisted AR, and twisted L. sp Red seems to imply 15 ppm weekly is too high. 6.23 ppm per week might have been too low, I noticed some pin holes in the older leaves of the Hygro polysperma sunset. Right now (since March 8th) I'm dosing 9.94 ppm weekly to see how it works out.

The whole reason I raised PO4 from 1.87 to 2.87 was to get rid of GDA, I ramped up K to help transfer the P faster. It destroyed the GDA on some buce and anubias.

4) My flow went to sh*t because of high plant density (this was before re-adding the gyre and switching to a horizontal spray bar). there is a stupid amount of Pogostemon in the back right corner

5) Fish waste + food threw off what ever balance I had before

6) My tap NO3 is about ~20 ppm now and that might be screwing with something

7) My denison barbs are chickens, they get frightened easily and knock plants out (mainly the rotala) every damn day, twice a day. That might be disturbing the substrate enough to cause the bloom.

8) To combat my fish, I've been adding some more STS in the area with the Rotala, idk if there's anything in the unused STS that can cause algae though.

9) The 55 gallon temporary tank was also messy as hell and was coated with brown algae on the walls due to having exposed potting soil, I might have transferred something over to the 125.

10) The new piece of driftwood in the tank maybe leeching organics.

Possible solutions in no particular order:
1) Trimming back a lot of plants and manually dusting off all the diatoms on every single leaf

2) watching my flow

3) might have to adjust ferts to both the higher NO3 and higher Ca in my tap water

4) play with my K dosage again

5) may have to use purigen or chemipure to help reduce organics coming from the new wood.
Greggz, doug105!, mgeorges and 2 others like this.

Last edited by SingAlongWithTsing; 03-16-2020 at 01:41 PM. Reason: ...
post #366 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Other News / non-125 gallon stuff
Rearranged the fish room a bit

My dad's arowana in the grow out 55 gallon. It's going in his 180 when it out grows the 55, that's his plan at least.

One of the baby leopard tortoises, they sleep indoors and roam outdoor during the day when it's warm

The 22? gallon grow out low-tech tank / spare tank
my uncle left an empty tank here so I might as well use it, I told myself I shouldnt scape it but ...

tank get's a weekly 25% water change and is refilled with water from the 125 getting it's left over ferts. there's like 1L of UNS soil and an 8.8lb bag of Stratum in there. it's a stupid thin amount of soil. 24 PAR in the middle of the tank, Yescom LED.

the plants recovered pretty well from the damage I did to em when they were in the 55 gallon temporary tank, most of the GSA and super GDA disappeared. Not sure if that's the soil's doing or me barely dosing anything.

the tank is stupidly overfiltered. HOB with sponges and K1, some internal canister thing rated with 100 gph filled with polyfil, and a sponge filter. the only fish in there are a colony of bluestar endlers, dont have pics of em cause they're pretty damn fast.
Greggz, burr740, doug105! and 2 others like this.

post #367 of 370 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Been awhile, been mostly busy with personal stuff and fixing stuff around the house.

Since this isn't my IAPLC entry I can post this FTS lol.

March 5th, 2020

Best recipe I've used so far with my funky tap

but as of late April/May I have swapped to a Tropica Specialized clone with Ni, can't post pics yet cuz it involves my IAPLC 2020 entry.

Looking back at this, I feel this should of been the one I picked. It might look a lil flat but the colors.

Anything nature style is something I'm gonna struggle with but I dont mind it.

Late May-ish
Sump is still the same EXCEPT that I pulled out the T section from the reactor to pump.

I went back to the 3" pvc cap and added a 2nd cerges in the chain.

Previously I was using a single cerges reactor (the Ozone Hybrid) with a Mazzei Venturi without a bypass. That was a stupid mistake. One of the contributing factors to my plants being wonky was my unstable co2, there was a dead snail stuck in the venturi for who knows how long.

I really hate that divider between the K1 and Lava rock. I lose about 1.5 gallons every day due to evaporation so you can imagine what the waterfall is like and the co2 I maybe losing.

I may switch to an ERIC filter / Endless river type setup in the future or something simple like the poret foam sumps. I still wanna keep the silent chamber and knitting mesh screen sections though. Less leaves breaking down in the whole system the better, less organics in the water.

Next manifold I'm building will be using gate valves instead of ball valves. Had a cap pop off one of the handles of my ball valve, no leaks fortunately lol.

post #368 of 370 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 01:50 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
Idk what your entry looks like that pic right there is sweet! Great update.

post #369 of 370 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 12:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Henry good to see an update.

Tank looks great. Might be my favorite rendition so far. Well done!

And thanks for sharing the dosing, always interesting to see what others are up to.
ipkiss, ChrisAZ, burr740 and 1 others like this.

---
---
post #370 of 370 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 04:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Henry good to see an update.

Tank looks great. Might be my favorite rendition so far. Well done!

And thanks for sharing the dosing, always interesting to see what others are up to.
update the table, @Greggz! please?

Tags
135 gallon, high kh, inert substrate, sbreef, sump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode