712Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 11:32 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingAlongWithTsing View Post
edit: that vid above is from before i installed the flowmeter

not sure if im happy with the reactor yet, literally finished it a couple of days ago. do you think the inefficiency is due to my pump? im starting to wonder if my jecod dct 6000 running on the 10% setting is still too strong for the reactor. i have a ball valve near the outlet of the reactor, guess i'll adjust it too

welp found the leak, it's the flow meter. near the threads betwee the o-ring and ss inlets

whats your KH and degassed pH?

video of the diffusion set at 25cc/min, didnt record one at 40 cc/min
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tskmJlqoRfA
kH is 8 and degassed pH is 7.5.

Even at 25cc/min you are losing a substantial amount of CO2 in the sump. From my experience with Cerges reactors, I found higher flow with back pressure is more efficient. I use the DCT 6000 as my main return pump. The Cerges is fed independently by a Ri0 1100. At 10%, your flow rate (assuming no head loss) is 158gph. The Rio is rated at 382 gph.

Suggestion: Drop the CO2 to about 20cc/min, up the DCT 6000 to 30-40% and partially close the valve on the reactor's exit. Play around with the flow rates first till you see no micro bubbles in the sump. Only then increase the CO2 to reach your desired pH drop in a shorter time.

If it's any consolation, setting up the Cerges and fine tuning it was the most frustrating thing for me during my initial set up. But be patient... work with one variable at a time and you will find the sweet spot!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoP View Post
kH is 8 and degassed pH is 7.5.

Even at 25cc/min you are losing a substantial amount of CO2 in the sump. From my experience with Cerges reactors, I found higher flow with back pressure is more efficient. I use the DCT 6000 as my main return pump. The Cerges is fed independently by a Ri0 1100. At 10%, your flow rate (assuming no head loss) is 158gph. The Rio is rated at 382 gph.

Suggestion: Drop the CO2 to about 20cc/min, up the DCT 6000 to 30-40% and partially close the valve on the reactor's exit. Play around with the flow rates first till you see no micro bubbles in the sump. Only then increase the CO2 to reach your desired pH drop in a shorter time.

If it's any consolation, setting up the Cerges and fine tuning it was the most frustrating thing for me during my initial set up. But be patient... work with one variable at a time and you will find the sweet spot!!
i was looking around last nite and i think the dct 6000 at the 10% speed setting is actually kinda of misleading. i also assumed 10% = 158 gph, man was i wrong lol

Found this chart on monsterfishkeepers:

and this from reef2reef:
Quote:
DCT-6000 (42W) Maximum flow rate of up to 6,000 litres/hour - adjustable from 2,900 - 6,000 litres per hour in 10 steps.
•DCT-8000 (65W) Maximum flow rate of up to 8,000 litres/hour - adjustable from 2,500 - 8,000 litres per hour in 10 steps.
•DCT-12000 (85W) Maximum flow rate of up to 12,000 litres/hour - adjustable from 3,800 - 12,000 litres per hour in 10 steps.
2900 lph is about 766 gph.

used the headloss calculator from reefcentral (chose the rio 2500, similar gph to the dct 6000 on speed 1) and got 508 gph after head loss.

tbh i didn't expect fine tuning the co2 tbh such a pita with a huge reactor lol

i've also considered just grabbing a measuring cup filling it with water and inverting it in the tank or sump to measure the co2 through displacement, i think tom barr did this for his bigger tanks. think he aimed for 100 ml / min in his 120 or 180

post #18 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingAlongWithTsing View Post
got it installed the other day

40 cc/min @20 psi working pressure and my ph hasnt dropped much after 3hrs, think i might need to get a different flowmeter with a higher range lol
Something doesn't seem right there. Either leaks or gassing off in the sump.

For reference, in my 120 gallon my flow rate right now is at about 35 cc/min, and I drive my pH down about 1.2 points in an hour. I also use a pH controller or at that rate I would gas the fish. With no controller I couldn't have it higher than 25 cc/min.

I have mine going into a 20" Cerges. No sump, all canisters. And I have a lot of surface agitation. My ten pound tank lasts three to four months.

---
---

post #19 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Something doesn't seem right there. Either leaks or gassing off in the sump.

For reference, in my 120 gallon my flow rate right now is at about 35 cc/min, and I drive my pH down about 1.2 points in an hour. I also use a pH controller or at that rate I would gas the fish. With no controller I couldn't have it higher than 25 cc/min.

I have mine going into a 20" Cerges. No sump, all canisters. And I have a lot of surface agitation. My ten pound tank lasts three to four months.
yeah that's what's been bugging for the past few days. no leaks from the regulator, no leaks from the push to connect fittings, no leaks from the reactor itself. only things left is the off gassing of the sump or there's something wrong with my co2 tube (i doubt it though since its from GLA). maybe i just built a crappy 2" x 45" reactor lmao

post #20 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Not a big deal, because I do the same thing, but choosing a return pump based solely on GPH is inaccurate. You have to take into account the maximum head height. I was watching something on elbows affecting flow and they had similar pumps GPH wise, but different max head heights, and they flow with elbows and return pipe sizing was quite different. Head height plays into the pressure the pump can put out, yada yada, something complicated. But it is something to keep in mind.

Back to the CO2 talk. I'll be reading it and saving the information for later. I found out the company that does our fire extinguishers at work will refill CO2 tanks.

post #21 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Took off the 2" x 45" reactor, ph didn't drop more than 0.5 even with the back pressure from the ball valve at the outlet. Using the mazzei venturi again but this time it's in between the main pump and the return line, it should produce a co2 mist when my solenoid turns on tomorrow morning. I guess my other options are to look for one of those filter housing things and build a Cerges reactor or try building a 3-4" x 24-36" rex reactor.
post #22 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

My experience with venturis is very miss, very little hit. I could never get mine to function the way I wanted it despite seeing people manage to use them regularly. I'll following this quite closely.

post #23 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
My experience with venturis is very miss, very little hit. I could never get mine to function the way I wanted it despite seeing people manage to use them regularly. I'll following this quite closely.
after testing it for a day i swapped it out, i stood about 3-4 feet away from my tank and i could still see the co2 bubbles. the venturi might have been inconsistent too cuz every few seconds i see a burst of co2 bubbles too. didnt build a manifold for it, just main pump to mazzei venturi to the return line. @50 cc/min i was able to drop my ph by 1 point after 3hrs 45 mins?

March 8th, 2017
today i went back to the tall rex reactor but this chopped of part of the top and replaced it with a new one which has a co2 tube pulled through a 3/16 hole, basically something to vent the extra co2 microbubbles. the vent tube goes back to the reactor's pump.

reactor's output pointed at the main pump. the amount of micro bubbles in the sump has been greatly reduced, only some of it gets into the main tank. still took over 3hrs to get the ph to drop 1 point though, it drops by 0.5 in the first hour easily though.

the wet//dry filter outgases a lot more co2 than i thought

i might get rid of the tower and use one of these

i would just attach it to the main pump and stack the media on top of the box and swap to filter socks for mechanical filtration

Last edited by SingAlongWithTsing; 03-09-2017 at 02:21 AM. Reason: ...
post #24 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 11:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

A wet dry has a lot more disruption than a completely submerged sump. May be worth testing if possible.

post #25 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
SBReefLights Fresh Water Basic: Are these standard off the shelf or did you have them customized? Any noticeable spill?
post #26 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoP View Post
SBReefLights Fresh Water Basic: Are these standard off the shelf or did you have them customized? Any noticeable spill?
off the shelf. got it from their website: https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-fw-pla...led-light.html
shipping can take awhile though depending if the lights are coming from hong kong or florida warehouse.

yeah there's a light spill. my light is only about 6" off the top of the tank though, fine for the 120 degree lenses but not the 90s

March 14th, 2017
Ordered a 4.5" x 20" water filter housing, gonna build a cerges reactor. hell of a lot more volume than my current reactor. more volume = better dissolution right?

4.5" x 20" reactor = ~318.09 cu in
2" x 42" reactor = ~131.95 cu in

post #27 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

March 22nd,2017

Got the new reactor in, had to rearrange the whole sump to fit it since it couldn't fit behind my stand.

Ball valve 100%, 50 cc/min
www.youtube.com/watch?v=esiQLDKhhAM
Gonna try Ball valve 50%, 50 cc/min tomorrow
if that doesnt work i need to look for a smaller pump or get rid of my wet/dry tower. those are the only 2 variables left that i can think of.

Got a bit of hair algae on my mosses unfortunately

Still dunno what's wrong with my AR mini

Last edited by SingAlongWithTsing; 03-23-2017 at 05:25 AM. Reason: ...
post #28 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Hows that S repens treating you?
post #29 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
Hows that S repens treating you?
the ones i got from you are doing good, had a lil melting. the ones that melted hard are from another user.

strange thing is that I'm losing leaves at the bottom on most of the S. Repens. dunno if it's a lighting thing or too much mulm.

solved the microbubble problem with my reactor, dont even need the ball valve to create back pressure. i just had to switch the pump back to actual inlet side lol. this is it running at 100 cc/min or 100 ml/min. my 20# should last about 3 months at this rate.

20 lb co2 tank = 4620 liters
100 ml/min = 6000 ml/hr = 6 l/hr = 48 l/day @ 8hrs
co2 will run out in 96.25 days = 13.75 weeks = ~3.44 months

0.8 or 1 ph point drop in 1hr now, tested with the API master kit. need to order some new powder for the ph pen.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Up8-PUW1Q

post #30 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 12:22 PM
dru
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very cool setup, will be following along

Tags
135 gallon, high kh, inert substrate, sbreef, sump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode