125 gallon low/high tech build "Kalzonia 5" - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
125 gallon low/high tech build "Kalzonia 5"

It seems that in my 9 years of fish keeping I've always kept multiple tanks never focusing on one individual system. I feel like for the first time I'm going to devote my time an efforts to one tank. With the exception of my spec v betta tank This 125 gallon will be that tank. I recently sold all my african cichlids
and will be converting this tank to a planted aquascape tank. It will be centered around my clown loaches and fire eel.[censored]

This is what the tank looked like b4 I sold the Africans
In attempts to rid some of the hardscape of bba

I did a 3 day blackout and today removed the stones and driftwood and sprayed it all down with hydrogen peroxide, gave it a scrubbing and sprayed everything off with the hose.
After getting it all back in the tank I dosed seachem excel to give the bba the final blow!
Here is the current fts.

I'm calling this a low/high tech build because I'll be using low lighting and low light demanding plants but I'll be using a pressurized co2 rig equipped with a dual stage regulator and will be upgrading[censored] filtration to a couple fx6's this summer.

Equipment as of now:
Diamond plate shop light
2x 800 gph powerhead
300w Eheim heater
Odyssea CFS 500

Future Uprgrades:
Fx6 x2
Jabeo wave maker
wifi recepticals
Dj power strips
Aquarium controller
Asthetic low lumen leds
Trim for the diy aquarium stand
Lighting under the stand
Lots more I can't think of right now...

Fish:
6 clown loaches
Fire eel
2 koi angels
Electric blue jack dempsey
2 petricola catfish
black calvus
Green phantom pleco
4 serpae tetra

Future fish purchases:
More serpae tetras(the only small schooling fish the eel hasn't eatin... yet)
A few more clown loaches
A sultan pleco

My next plan of action will be obtaining 2" and 3" pvc pipe to create caves for the eel and loaches. I will also be getting lava rock to build up the substrate behind the hardscape and on top of the pvc caves. This will give me a way to hide the pvc and something to secure plants too while creating depth. As soon as I sell my 75 gallon setup I'll be purchasing the Anubias, java fern, and Bucephalandra.

Any other plant suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by kalan850; 01-22-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My wife woke me up this morning in a panic saying something jumped from the tank and was flailing about behind the stand! The fire eel was trying to escape lol luckily I was able to net him and get him back in the tank. He's doing just fine.

Ahhhh feeding this morning was a good feeling. An enjoyment of only having this one tank to worry about. Oh the possibilities. New builds are awesome!

Last edited by kalan850; 01-20-2017 at 06:25 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalan850 View Post
My wide woke me up this morning in a panic saying something jumped from the tank and was flailing about behind the stand! The fire eel was trying to escape lol luckily I was able to net him and get him back in the tank. He's doing just fine.

Ahhhh feeding this morning was a good feeling. An enjoyment of only having this one tank to worry about. Oh the possibilities. New builds are awesome!

I'm right there with you on that! Having one big tank is a lot of fun and a new build is always exciting. Good luck with the build. I'd love some more shots of your fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
I'm right there with you on that! Having one big tank is a lot of fun and a new build is always exciting. Good luck with the build. I'd love some more shots of your fish.
Thanks I appreciate it. I'll get some better pics up soon.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quick question, how do you like your wave maker? I was interested in buying one that is probably very similar to the one you have. Mostly because it was very cheap and adjustable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quick question, how do you like your wave maker? I was interested in buying one that is probably very similar to the one you have. Mostly because it was very cheap and adjustable.
Hey sorry but I have Jabeo listed under "future upgrades" I plan on getting the Jabeo cp-40 eventually. However I had 2 wp10's in the past they were good for circulation but one of them made a slight vibrating sound when run on higher settings so I feel like it's hit or miss with getting a quiet one. For the money I feel like they are a great value.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got a chance to stop by my favorite LFS today its called Blue Water Zoo. Picked up a couple 1.25" SAE's to help with algae export when the time comes. I didn't think about it at the time but these little guys are the perfect shape and size to fit in croc's(fire eel) mouth! I'm going to have to keep him well fed in order to keep his mind off eating them.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Woke up today and noticed that I hadnt turned my canister filter back on after a water change yesturday. The water was cloudy so I collected some for testing and did a 50% w/c. All parameters are good. I think it had something to do with a combination of me not having the filter run and the driftwood I added that had been cleaned with peroxide and scrubbed. Maybe some die off of algae.

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

At the moment im thinking about my plant order and upgrading the control system.

I've found a seller on e b a y that seems affordable. I should be able to plant the entire tank for around $150. Lots of java fern, anubias, and Bucephalandra.

For the control system I think I will go with a 48" 12 receptacle power strip and an 8 receptacle Dj power strip. I'll use wifi outlets on the 48" strip for my wave makers and lighting in order to enable me to control them from my phone. As for my heater, filters, co2 solenoid, stand lighting, and Quarantine equipment I'll be using the Dj strip mounted in a convenient location for easy access. This should make water changes, maintenance and feeding easier.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I worked on the stand lighting today. After researching stand lighting a bit seen alot of folks using leds. They looked good and lit under the stand very well. Naturally I wanted to use leds also but after going through some of my aquarium equipment I found 2 dual bulb T5HO fixture from my old reef tank. I decided to use them instead of going led. They get the job done very well!

Wire management will be taken care of when I receive my power strips.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I picked up one of those DJ outlets myself and plan on going with a LED strip light under my tank, just like you had originally planned. There is so much space under your stand! Looks good.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I picked up one of those DJ outlets myself and plan on going with a LED strip light under my tank, just like you had originally planned. There is so much space under your stand! Looks good.
Nice sounds like a good plan man. What brand did you go with and where did you purchase it? Yeah Lots of space now but I still have to move my pressurized co2 system under there and have plans for another canister filter. I'm almost talking myself out of the fx6. I'm thinking of getting another odyssea. The cfs 700 or higher. It's just so much more inexpensive and I know they work ya know. It's hit or miss if they are noisy though. I had a cfs 500 for 3 years that was quiet. The one I have now isn't as quiet. What do you think i should do?

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 03:38 AM
Algae Grower

I look forward to watching the tank develop!
Could I have a better picture of your SAE's? The pic you showed did not look like an Siamese Algae Eater, but a Chinese Algae Eater (The tail looks like a dead give away and the mouth looks wrong, but it has been a few years since I had my SAE's.). If they are CAE's I would get rid of them as fast as possible, they will eventually eat all your other fish, including angels. (Not kidding)
CAE's are sold by big box stores as SAE's, why I don't want to speculate but that is just the sad truth.
Just trying to make sure you don't wind up with fish suddenly dying from having chunks taken out of them during the night... Because that is not fun.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 01:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalan850 View Post
Nice sounds like a good plan man. What brand did you go with and where did you purchase it? Yeah Lots of space now but I still have to move my pressurized co2 system under there and have plans for another canister filter. I'm almost talking myself out of the fx6. I'm thinking of getting another odyssea. The cfs 700 or higher. It's just so much more inexpensive and I know they work ya know. It's hit or miss if they are noisy though. I had a cfs 500 for 3 years that was quiet. The one I have now isn't as quiet. What do you think i should do?

I purchased this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It had good reviews, a decent fuse, and came with the cord. I only have a lighting strip, heater controller, return pump, and under cabinet lighting to worry about. That's not even half of the outlets.

As far as your whole situation, I'm a sucker for cheap canisters. I've used SunSun exclusively when I had canisters. Both the 302 and 304 worked wonders for me. They are not nearly as powerful though. Point being, I'd go cheap personally. Can you hear it through the stand? I had a bit of surface agitation on my tank as well as lids over the tank. So the ripple sound along with evaporation drops falling onto the water drown out the hum of my canisters.

With that said, I've gone to sumps exclusively! I replaced my last sump with a canister due to the overflow design and vacation/tank watching. But with my new bean animal overflow, I won't be nearly as worried going forward.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman922 View Post
I look forward to watching the tank develop!
Could I have a better picture of your SAE's? The pic you showed did not look like an Siamese Algae Eater, but a Chinese Algae Eater (The tail looks like a dead give away and the mouth looks wrong, but it has been a few years since I had my SAE's.). If they are CAE's I would get rid of them as fast as possible, they will eventually eat all your other fish, including angels. (Not kidding)
CAE's are sold by big box stores as SAE's, why I don't want to speculate but that is just the sad truth.
Just trying to make sure you don't wind up with fish suddenly dying from having chunks taken out of them during the night... Because that is not fun.
Haha what you seen is an otocinclus. He's full grown. I haven't posted a pic of the 2 SAE'S yet.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode