10g College Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Toney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10g College Tank

I'm starting up a little tank so I can take it to college with me. I don't plan on flooding it for 3 months or so, until I move back to school- so it's an emersed setup right now.

Day 1- I set up the hardscape and set up some plants on black FloraMax! I have some Anubias, crypt (ID help please?), Argentine sword, Tropica fern, and an unknown small carpeting plant in this setup. I dosed with API Leaf Zone and covered the top to keep in humidity. I'm lighting with some LEDs from home depot.

Crypt- ID please?

Some sort of carpeting I think?

I'm super excited and can't wait to see these plants take off! Thanks for sharing in my journey

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

1 week update:

I may have put too much water in, because I have some mold growing along my driftwood. Plants look OK though. I got some Anubias nana that had a bit of wilting, I think it will snap out.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 04:10 PM
Algae Grower

Cool
Sara3502 and Sara3502 like this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks like a fun idea. Learning to live the college style can be a challenge!
Some info I might offer? No expert and certainly difficult to ID some plants from pictures but I might throw in anubias congensis as the plant ID?
Check here for picts and info:
https://www.google.com/search?q=anub...FvhcDao0scM%3A

I would not be surprised not worried at finding mold, fungus, etc. growing on the wood. Simply nature letting some little bit grow as it finds the tiny little niche of conditions for it to do it's thing. We all need to do that when the conditions are right and those conditions change frequently. So the current item that likes high humidity may go totally away when it meets totally submerged? But I would also guess that there may be some other little tiny pop up for a few weeks. Nothing bad comes of it in my experience. Fish, etc. do often eat it so it is personal choice how to deal with the question.
Some don't like the look and fight it, some let it be a natural thing and let it go away when the time comes.
It is your kingdom and you get to be the BOSS! Just avoid conflict with Mother nature?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Looks like a fun idea. Learning to live the college style can be a challenge!
Some info I might offer? No expert and certainly difficult to ID some plants from pictures but I might throw in anubias congensis as the plant ID?
Check here for picts and info:
https://www.google.com/search?q=anub...FvhcDao0scM%3A

I would not be surprised not worried at finding mold, fungus, etc. growing on the wood. Simply nature letting some little bit grow as it finds the tiny little niche of conditions for it to do it's thing. We all need to do that when the conditions are right and those conditions change frequently. So the current item that likes high humidity may go totally away when it meets totally submerged? But I would also guess that there may be some other little tiny pop up for a few weeks. Nothing bad comes of it in my experience. Fish, etc. do often eat it so it is personal choice how to deal with the question.
Some don't like the look and fight it, some let it be a natural thing and let it go away when the time comes.
It is your kingdom and you get to be the BOSS! Just avoid conflict with Mother nature?
Thanks! I like your suggestion to think of it as a little kingdom. I think I'll let the mold be for now- if it gets too crazy I'll worry.
College life is really strange I finished my first semester, and my second will start in April.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tiny update! I added some Monte Carlo today. I'm planning on getting it well established and will keep it confined away from the micro sword. I think the contrast between the two will look nice!

I'm considering adding a light sand path between the two- and keeping them separate into sides of the path. Thoughts?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
While a sand path may look nice initially I doubt it would last long. You could use some smaller rocks instead though to give the impression of a path.

Tank Journal -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good idea I'm considering it!

Also, does anyone know of any bushy plants that would do well in a smaller tank? I feel I need more plant 'bulk.' it's looking a bit thin and I want it nice and thick with plants in the background.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I agree with the thought on sand. I find it tends to just get scattered as I do most anything in the tank. But then my tanks are often being "stirred" so maybe yours is more stable. Though I don't think of college as stable for many things!
I might think of really thin slate flakes kind of nestled down into the other.
I agree that some taller/bushy might look good. I like to give more height as my fish tend to like to get in under some of the leaves.
Maybe some of the small/mid size swords? Red myrio can be nice and can be cut and replanted to bulk it up when it gets tall. Needs good light to be red. Depending on how the tank runs, it might need trimming more than best. Six stems of simple hornwart planted together in the left rear corner?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I found some Telanthera cardinalis today I'm going to add over there, I don't think I'd be able to find any myrio, though it is beautiful!

I can't add hornwort emersed, though once flooded I probably can

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode