55gal amazon-ish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
55gal amazon-ish

I've owned this tank for over 25 years... it's been taken down and set up again at least 6 times through several moves. The last iteration I had made a DIY 3D background using Great Stuff sprayed onto some 1/2" rigid pink insulation foam. At first I just had it behind the tank, but then about 2-3 years ago I put it in the tank.

That looked legit and worked pretty good, but I neglected to silicone it to the glass... I just wedged it in tight and piled my substrate up against it to keep it in place in case I wanted to remove it again. That worked okay until it started to work loose and I got some fish trapped behind the background... so I completely tore down the tank to do it right. I also took the opportunity to razor away all of the old silicone seams and reseal the tank.

So this time around I am using the Great Stuff Pond and Stone instead of the regular expanding foam -- spraying it directly to the glass. I had some nice driftwood pieces that I boiled and tacked/foamed into place. And I made a large faux rock by carving a block of foam and covering it with Drylok -- which is siliconed to the back glass.

I'll have to post better pictures of it, but I used some clear acrylic sheet to triangulate the rear corners of the tank to hide the heater, intake/return tubes, and air lines. There are a couple of "caves" (about 3-4" diameter) through the bottoms of each of these compartments so water can flow through and fish can freely go in and out. The corner compartments are completely covered with the driftwood and sprayfoam, and the caves are pretty well obscured from view with pieces of driftwood so you can't see light coming from behind.

One of the techniques I used was to create "roots" by drawing long squiggly lines of foam... after several layers it looks like a tangle up mess of roots. I also poked a lot of holes in the foam while it was still half-cured... skinned on the outside but still gooey on the inside... I poked thumb-sized holes with a stick and "scrambled" the foam on the inside to create to little pockets that I can grow plants in. Just a note... the sprayfoam doesn't initially stick to the glass in a vertical position... so you have to lay the aquarium on it's back (or whatever side you are working on) until the foam starts to expand and get sticky.

Substrate is: about 1/2" of natural kitty litter (Fullers Earth / clay), then about 1.5" of regular dirt (dug from my yard), then about 1" of black Seachem Flourite.

I'm using my trusty Eheim 2213 canister filter under the cabinet and I have a 200w heater in the return flow compartment of the tank.

Flora: Amazon sword, Red Rubin Sword, Microanthemum "Monte Carlo", Crypt Wendtii, Jungle Val, Water Lettuce, Water Sprite or Wisteria (I can't tell the difference), Java Moss, Java Ferns, a few stems of Ludwigia Repens, and some Dwarf Rotala on a ledge up above the driftwood... they like lots of light. I'd love to get some
Alternanthera Rosaefolia if anyone has some for sale/trade.

Fauna: 5 Marble Angelfish. 1 pair of Kribensis. 3 black Mollies. 3 American Flag Fish. A few stragglers of Zebra Danios and Neon Tetras. 20 Red Cherry Shrimp. 1 Siamese Algae Eater. 1 Bristlenose Pleco. .. and I plan to add some Discus and Cory Cats once the tank grows in a bit more.

I'll take more pics once the water clears up... just a bit of cloudiness still.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_10209143867048616.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	709298  

Name:	received_10209143863928538.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	709306  

Name:	received_10209143863088517.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	709314  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

https://www.youtube.com/embed/yQTkhF1KQDU

Not sure how to get this to preview in frame. Short little vid. The tank still doing great.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Great job. Looking good.

Mike

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That looks fantastic. I did one in my 75 gallon and despite siliconing it to the glass it broke free after about a year. I was never able to get the silicone off. Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to minimize the visual impact of the remaining silicone after wanting to use the tank for more than just a basic QT. if I had it to do over I would paint the back black and then use black silicone... just in case.

Do the Kribensis leave plants alone? I REALLY wanted a pair of the Kribensis taeniatus, but Kribs have a bad rap for tearing up plants and killing fish when they spawn.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
That looks fantastic. I did one in my 75 gallon and despite siliconing it to the glass it broke free after about a year. I was never able to get the silicone off. Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to minimize the visual impact of the remaining silicone after wanting to use the tank for more than just a basic QT. if I had it to do over I would paint the back black and then use black silicone... just in case.

Do the Kribensis leave plants alone? I REALLY wanted a pair of the Kribensis taeniatus, but Kribs have a bad rap for tearing up plants and killing fish when they spawn.
Yes, I had problem too with the foam popping off the glass on my first go-around. The trick is to embed sticks and rocks strategically to weigh it down and pin it to the back... I have a couple of "foam branches" that are buried in the substrate or creep along the sides of the tank that go all the way to the front corners of the glass... this keeps the foam pressed to the back glass. Also my big pieces of driftwood are foamed both to the back and to the bottom, so the weight of the substrate keeps the driftwood in place, which also keeps the foam background in place. Adding rocks to your foam also helps weigh it down... and as the rocks sink into the foam it creates lots of little pockets and voids where you can add plants later.

Kribensis absolutely are safe for planted tanks. I've been keeping Kribs almost my entire hobby... about 20 years... never seen them eat a plant. They seem to get along okay with Angelfish too as long as they both have an area to claim as their own. Kribs prefer caves and hollows - tend to hang out in the bottom recesses of the tank, Angels like more open swimming area - with some tall swords plants for cover and egg-laying. Kribs are a lot of fun to watch... they have a lot of personality.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode