120 Gal Dutchy Freestyle - Now with 35% less water volume! - Page 80 - The Planted Tank Forum
 3214Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1186 of 1520 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Biggest thing about sand in my opinion is if you go thicker to have Malaysian trumpet snails to mix the sand up to keep it from getting gas pockets. But if you are under 2" I would think that shouldn't be an issue.

However being on Hawaii, I was telling my wife this when we were on Kauai and Oahu about two weeks ago, I would have a saltwater setup for sure. Thinking that I could possibly catch my own salt water fish, that is if it's legal and collect my own saltwater and just run it through a fine filter to keep the crap out of the water.

300g 6' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1187 of 1520 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (122/100%)
Had to restart the 20H again. As it turns out, capping fresh Aquasoil/powersand with bdbs is NOT a good idea!

The tank's had a wicked green water bloom for the past 6 weeks. The slightest disturbance would bring it on, like pulling 3 stems of something up. In the beginning my little portable 5 watt UV would knock it out but for the last month it wouldnt even touch it. So bad you couldnt see 3" past the front glass.

So I decided to just restart it.

Inspired by @Xiaozhuang 's low NO3 dosing routines, and @Saxa Tilly 's recent results in the Dutch and Kill Tanks , Im gonna try and see if I can duplicate their results dosing NO3 around 15 ppm/week.

The new substrate is all BDBS with a fairly heavy application of Osmocote+

Put down just enough sand to cover the bottom first to keep the O+ balls from rolling around. Then top it off with the rest.

Light is four T5HO with a sinlge reflector. Par at the sub is about 95

Daily dosing:

NO3 - 2.5 ppm
PO4 - .8 ppm
K2SO4 - 1 ppm
Fe - .1
Mn - .03
B - .03
Zn - .03
Mo - .001
Cu - .0015
Ni - .0003

Usually do water changes every 6 days in all tanks, so those amounts are dosed 6x between water changes.

Also 15 ppm K and 7 Mg 1x each week after a water change (tap has 35-40 ppm Ca)

I believe this is pretty close to Xiaozhuang's daily routine (sans a little urea and uber rich soil). For weekly totals it's almost a match to Vin's current routine in the 180.

Im also starting this routine in the Aquasoil 50. Up until now macros were about the same dosed 1x week after water changes. Most things doing well, some arent, but that's a story for another day.

Plants are a mixture of "nutrient hogs" and a few Lythracae sprinkled in for good measure.

Three days old

Left side is Staurogyne purple, Ludwigia sp red, Clinopodium brownei, Penthorum sedoides, one Pantanal, in back three wallichii and three Ammania crassicaulis...and a nana snow white Anubias (thats color on the lower leaves, not algae )

Right side is Blyxa novoguineensis. This plant was blood red when I got it from Vin about a month ago, 35 ppm NO3 per week quickly took care of that. We'll see if it colors back up with lower levels

Other plants over here are Ludwigia senegalensis, Rotala mini butterfly, a few Rotala sunsets, one tiny sprig of mac variegated you cant really see, in back is Ludwigia palustris

Fissidens fox log is there to give a baby bristlsnose pleco a place to hide and some wood to gnaw on. He's under there now you can barely see the tip of his nose

So....we'll see how it goes!

Last edited by burr740; 10-25-2018 at 04:21 PM. Reason: fixed a name
post #1188 of 1520 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Burr even your test tank looks great!

This should be very, very interesting. I'll be watching closely.

Great idea and really looking forward to seeing where this goes.
burr740 likes this.

------------------

post #1189 of 1520 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 11:18 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Burr even your test tank looks great!

This should be very, very interesting. I'll be watching closely.

Great idea and really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

x2 on Greggs comment - stellar looking 20. I would post a pic of my 20g tank but, uh...... no
Greggz and burr740 like this.

post #1190 of 1520 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
looking forward to this experiment.

did you weight how much osmocote you poured in?

post #1191 of 1520 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great experiment! Eager to follow... just one note Joe: is .04 ppm of PO4 daily correct? Or did you add one zero by mistake?
post #1192 of 1520 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingAlongWithTsing View Post
looking forward to this experiment.

did you weight how much osmocote you poured in?
Eyeballed it. Ive started tanks out with more, and usually a little less, so I knew the general ballpark I wanted to be in

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablau View Post
Great experiment! Eager to follow... just one note Joe: is .04 ppm of PO4 daily correct? Or did you add one zero by mistake?
Crap, yeah that's supposed to be .8, not .08. Good catch!
fablau likes this.

post #1193 of 1520 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 03:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hi Burr,

The wonderful color rendition you get in your tank has me itching to go with different bulbs. I have 5 very old 6500k bulbs (Sunblasters with the Deflectors) in need of replacing. What would you recommend? I have Odessaís so I would love to have the red really pop.
post #1194 of 1520 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 05:23 PM
Algae Grower

I am very curious about this experiment, especially about Lythraceae plants. I hope you will be willing to try to stunt them eventually, so that Pikez is not the only plant killer out there.
Greggz and burr740 like this.
post #1195 of 1520 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Soprano View Post
Hi Burr,

The wonderful color rendition you get in your tank has me itching to go with different bulbs. I have 5 very old 6500k bulbs (Sunblasters with the Deflectors) in need of replacing. What would you recommend? I have Odessa’s so I would love to have the red really pop.
Having all 6500K will give very poor color rendition. To make colors pop you need heavy red and blue in the mix.

Forget about intensity or nitrates or whatever, while those things are important, as well as general plant health - nothing affects plant color as much as the color of the light shining on them.

Couple pages back I posted pics of Crypt flamingos under two different lights. I'd just received in the mail. Same exact plants in the exact same condition, the day after they arrived. Under one light they were bright poppin pink, under the other light they were just a drab brown.

As far as how plants look to our eyes bulb color makes all the difference in the world

For four bulbs I like

1 x 3000K
1 x 420 actinic, or ATI purple
1 x Deep red like Powerveg 633 or 660
1 x Pink flora type like giesemann super flora, Zoomed flora sun, pretty much any aquarium brand with "flora" in the name will do

With 5 bulbs you could throw a 6500K in the mix, and you might wanna go with two flora types instead of the 3000K, depending on how 'warm' you like it. If you dont want to spring the cash for a Powerveg you could do a flora in place of that.

All of them will grow plants just fine, it's only a matter of what you think looks the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acino View Post
I am very curious about this experiment, especially about Lythraceae plants. I hope you will be willing to try to stunt them eventually, so that Pikez is not the only plant killer out there.
Oh trust me if these dont stunt I can show you some that are. We cant let Vin have all the fun!!
Greggz likes this.

post #1196 of 1520 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acino View Post
I did a spit take when I read that.

Thanks for the LOL!!

------------------

Last edited by Greggz; 10-25-2018 at 09:00 PM. Reason: typo
post #1197 of 1520 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 08:58 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post

For four bulbs I like

1 x 3000K
1 x 420 actinic, or ATI purple
1 x Deep red like Powerveg 633 or 660
1 x Pink flora type like giesemann super flora, Zoomed flora sun, pretty much any aquarium brand with "flora" in the name will do

This is yours? Are there seperate reflectors? Seems like red and blue don't have reflectors

Last edited by AgMa; 10-25-2018 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Edit
post #1198 of 1520 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 09:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the advice! I will order some bulbs this weekend. Everything does look lack luster under the 6500ks.
post #1199 of 1520 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hey Burr which tank did the Ammania crassicaulis come out of?

Mine is turning the corner, and looks a lot like those. Just curious what environment they were in?

I just plopped mine in the tank seeing what it would do. The one stem is now three, and if it continues to improve, going to have to find a real spot for it.

------------------
post #1200 of 1520 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgMa View Post
This is yours? Are there seperate reflectors? Seems like red and blue don't have reflectors
That's the Oddysea over this new 20. It only has one reflector for all four bulbs. Which is fine because I didnt want monster light, just the bulb options.

The big tanks all have individual reflectors
AgMa likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode