120 Gal Dutchy Freestyle - Now with 35% less water volume! - Page 43 - The Planted Tank Forum
 2916Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #631 of 1419 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 07:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Congratulations burr!!

Your work is a true inspiration for all of us in this hobby. Might I also add that I along with many other TPT members have bragging rights to having some of your cuttings/trimmings in our tank.

Again, congratulations and well deserved!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1419 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Wow Burr you did it!

P.S. Does this mean we should now refer to you as Mr. Burr? Dr. Burr? Your Burrness?

We gotta come up with something fitting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoP View Post
Congratulations burr!!

Might I also add that I along with many other TPT members have bragging rights to having some of your cuttings/trimmings in our tank.

Indeed. Journal posts from now on will sound like this..

Why yes, kind sir. You would be right in recognizing that that persicaria came straight from the blue ribbon tank of his Burrness.
Greggz, Greggz, johnson18 and 3 others like this.

post #633 of 1419 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Congrats Burrito! Time to repeat it this coming year.

Oh, and I got my old account back.
Greggz, Greggz, burr740 and 5 others like this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #634 of 1419 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (116/100%)
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
P.S. Does this mean we should now refer to you as Mr. Burr? Dr. Burr? Your Burrness?

We gotta come up with something fitting.
Well my friends call me Joe but I dont really care....just as long as you're calling me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
Indeed. Journal posts from now on will sound like this..

Why yes, kind sir. You would be right in recognizing that that persicaria came straight from the blue ribbon tank of his Burrness.
Hey maybe I can double up prices now for these award winning plants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Congrats Burrito! Time to repeat it this coming year.

Oh, and I got my old account back.
Thanks man. Definitely gonna try to work harder for next year. Glad you got your account sorted, now post more!
johnson18 and johnson18 like this.

Last edited by burr740; 11-12-2017 at 02:54 PM. Reason: .
post #635 of 1419 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

There's a whole list of things I think could be better / wish I'd done differently, but Im pretty happy nonetheless. There were some good entries this year, which I think bodes well for the future

Here's some higher res pics

My own critique:
Needs a more powerful street, and better front to back depth
Curtain plants in both front corners would help
And I dont like the color rendition from the light, it's too cool or something.

One judges comment
"I feel like I am contradicting myself a bit in my comments. Where several entries have to many plants in their tanks, I feel this one is a bit too empty. However, the plants look good, the groups show clear variations in contrast and height and it is a really nice tank to llok at. Maybe just a bit more time will grow the groups a bit bigger and take away the empty feeling. All plants are very well placed, but please replace the red Persicaria sao Paulo with a green plant" ~Marco Aukes

He's spot on with the empty comment. I always felt like it was missing something but couldnt quite put my finger on it. That's what it is.

Its funny, 3 days after the final pics it was water change day. Everything had grown an inch or whatever. I was like damn that looks good, much better than the other day. So that's something I'll keep in mind for next time.

Greggz, Greggz, Dempsey and 13 others like this.

post #636 of 1419 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

1: Myriophyllum guyana, 2: Acmella repens, 3: Isoetes lacustris, 4:Ludwigia sp. red, 5: Didiplis diandra, 6: Pogosteman helferi 'red', 7: Hydrothrix gardneri, 8: Penthorum sedoides, 9: Barclaya longifolia red, 10: Hygrophila siamesis 53b, 11: Bacopa colorata, 12: Oldenlandia salzmannii, 13: Limnophila aromatica mini, 14: Persicaria sao paulo.----- Wall plants: Christmas moss, Bucephalandra brownie sp, Hydrocotyle leucocephala. ------ Hardscape: Fissidens fox on Manzinita branches
Greggz, Greggz, Dempsey and 1 others like this.

post #637 of 1419 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 03:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Damn, Joe! Congrats on a job well done. Will we be seeing one of those living room busting tanks of the Dutch masters in your future? These high res photos are amazing. Im fairly certain I️ said wow out loud multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAOK Club #24
post #638 of 1419 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I love that Barclaya. Everywhere I have seen it for sale it is always out of stock.

post #639 of 1419 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

I saw the first place tank. I said to myself, "That looks rather familiar..." I entered as well, and someone I know placed third.
I think I spend too much time here if I can recognize that Burr scaped the tank without any prior knowledge of his plans
Greggz, Greggz, Dempsey and 3 others like this.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

post #640 of 1419 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Such a beautiful tank, congrats :]
post #641 of 1419 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Congrats. That is quite a feat. I really had a feeling and was right that you would win. You really have a knack for this and am really glad you got 1st. Congrats again @burr740

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #642 of 1419 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 01:03 AM
Planted Member

Congrats on the well deserved recognition!!! You have been a true inspiration. Thanks for your contribution to this hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #643 of 1419 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 11:00 PM
Captain

Belated CONGRATS on the win! Guess I missed the announcement Saturday. Happy to say I have a few Burrific plants in my tank :-)

post #644 of 1419 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 01:19 AM
Algae Grower

Congrats Joe. Seeing you win put a smile on my face and I am really happy for you.
post #645 of 1419 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Thanks everyone^, I really appreciate it!

The other day I asked Bart Laurens on Facebook if he had any advice on how to improve my tank. He was kind enough to oblige.

Good stuff, check it out - Uitslag internationale Aqua Scape contest AGA 2017 categorie Dutch Style. | Bart Laurens

Teaser

Greggz, Greggz, johnson18 and 11 others like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode