120 Gal Dutchy Freestyle - Now with 35% less water volume! - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 4194Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 1815 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Do you use any sort of root tabs? The black blaster sand is inert right?

Do your plants get all the ferts they need from the dry ferts?

Thanks
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1815 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
0/10. sucks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 1815 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Burr making everyone look bad again, lol.

Just a noob

post #34 of 1815 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 04:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Thanks guys

I use all tap water. KH is ~5.5, GH is 50 ppm Ca and 4 ppm Mg, then I add another 10 ppm Mg via Epsom salt at water change

Thanks for the info Burr, just curious, how do you know you have 4ppm Mg? Water report?
post #35 of 1815 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fablau View Post
Thanks for the info Burr, just curious, how do you know you have 4ppm Mg? Water report?
@PortalMasterRy tested my tap with his fancy Hanna rig

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/15...i-83200-a.html

But my water report was pretty spot on, said the same thing

post #36 of 1815 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Algae Grower

Just gorgeous!
post #37 of 1815 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:19 PM
Planted Member

Just curious...How effective is the CO2 reactor? Do you get any micro bubbles in the tank?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

post #38 of 1815 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

If the cut off valve is wide open there's some mist coming out, not a lot but some.

Closing the valve just a little eliminates it due to the increase in pressure it creates. Apparently it takes very little pressure to squeeze out a micro bubble.

Oh yeah somebody asked if I put bio ball inside this one. No it's completely empty. in retrospect I probably would have, because they made a difference in some of the other ones I built for the 75.

post #39 of 1815 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Planted Member

Good to know. I have a similar situation with the Cerges. The back pressure does help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

post #40 of 1815 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Burr very beautiful tank. I never understood how can one make the red plant pop, ive keep red species plant and all i could turn them rust red but not bright red. Any secret hiding there?
post #41 of 1815 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennfisherman View Post
Do you use any sort of root tabs? The black blaster sand is inert right?

Do your plants get all the ferts they need from the dry ferts?

Thanks
Matt
Blasting sand is inert, yes.

Ive put a few individual Osmocote+ balls around a couple of things, but 95% of the tank has nothing.

Most plants can do just fine with only water column dosing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovekillis0852 View Post
Burr very beautiful tank. I never understood how can one make the red plant pop, ive keep red species plant and all i could turn them rust red but not bright red. Any secret hiding there?
No secret. Healthy plants is the first thing. Then you need a light with a good amount of red.
Opare, Opare, iamaloner and 1 others like this.

post #42 of 1815 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:33 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Blasting sand is inert, yes.

Ive put a few individual Osmocote+ balls around a couple of things, but 95% of the tank has nothing.

Most plants can do just fine with only water column dosing.

No secret. Healthy plants is the first thing. Then you need a light with a good amount of red.

Beautiful! Burr, what are some red plants that are good for foreground, either short/compact or can be trained that way? I had a hugely successful Pogo erectus behind AR mini which I think choked it out and outcompeted it. I've since pulled erectus out and dropped osmocote capsules but the AR mini cannot seem to recover. I'm thinking I need to replace it entirely..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #43 of 1815 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 05:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
So exciting! Subscribed!

Tanks a bunch!

My current 120 tank journal:

Marcia
post #44 of 1815 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Burr740 could you describe a little more what you mean when you talk about the tank uber clean. I am seeing positive effects in my tank adopting this practice, and wonder what all it means to you?

For instance, I also have BDBS substrate, and I'd be interested to know more about your vacuuming routine. Lightly vac, deeply vac? And anything else you think might be helpful.

Thanks for anything you can share.
Williak and Williak like this.

---
---
post #45 of 1815 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Burr740 could you describe a little more what you mean when you talk about the tank uber clean. I am seeing positive effects in my tank adopting this practice, and wonder what all it means to you?

For instance, I also have BDBS substrate, and I'd be interested to know more about your vacuuming routine. Lightly vac, deeply vac? And anything else you think might be helpful.

Thanks for anything you can share.
Keep things very clean is all that means.

- Filters obviously. Mine will run a good 4 months before flow starts to decrease. But I try to clean them every two months.

- The substrate surface. Mine stays pretty clean by itself and I rarely do anything. But anytime there's a build up of crud somewhere I use a bucket and siphon hose to spot vacuum it up.

Now, unlike your rainbows, all my fish are small and I really dont feed that much. So fish poop isnt really a factor, at least I never see any. Not sure how that would be with a fish load like yours, or how I'd deal with it. In my case, having good flow through the tank and strong filters seems to do the heavy lifting.

As for deep vacuuming, plants in my tanks get moved all the time, so there's a pretty good "turnover" happening from pulling roots out. I really never do any deep vacuums until the tank gets a little older, after a year or two. Then I may do small areas at a time, like if I pull a group of stems out to trim and top, or move or whatever, I'll do a deep vac on that one area.

- Pruning and plant trimming, often overlooked as part of the cleaning process. Dead or dying leaves, get those out asap. They wont repair, they'll just sit there and leech organics back into the water.

Any stems with ratty bottoms, replant the nice tops and toss the bottoms.

Just keep all the crappy stuff out. That's it in a nutshell.
Williak, Williak, quiquik and 9 others like this.

Last edited by burr740; 01-15-2017 at 02:06 AM. Reason: /

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode