120 Gal Dutchy Freestyle - Now with 35% less water volume! - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 3700Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 1667 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (125/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
Beautiful tank and fantastic work! Thanks for posting those and killing off any self-esteem I had remaining . What are those clear, suction-cup looking things on the Buces?
Thanks.

Those are plastic/metal push pins like you use on a bulletin board or whatever. In a month or two the Buces will be stuck and I'll take them out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
What substrate are you using?
Something else I forgot to include in the OP Black Diamond blasting sand.
kamla, kamla, johnson18 and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 1667 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Thanks.

Those are plastic/metal push pins like you use on a bulletin board or whatever. In a month or two the Buces will be stuck and I'll take them out
That is a great idea and I'm sure it is so much easier than tying knots under water. I'm assuming they are just the standard ones and nothing specific to aquariums. No problems with them fouling the water?
johnson18 and johnson18 like this.
post #18 of 1667 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
That is a great idea and I'm sure it is so much easier than tying knots under water. I'm assuming they are just the standard ones and nothing specific to aquariums. No problems with them fouling the water?
Yep, just your basic little push pins.

The metal part will eventually rust after a few months but I dont think it's much of a problem. Used them many times before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 1667 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
subbing

post #20 of 1667 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Thanks.

4' is all the space I have too, or I would definitely have gone with a 5-6 footer.

Im loving these dimensions honestly, coming from a standard 75. The 24" depth front to back is really nice. The height is more than necessary but Im using it to advantage. The empty space up top makes it easy to blast flow without disrupting things too much.

Like if you stir a pot of soup from the top, the bottom starts swirling as well.

Neat! Well, it would seem the dimension suggestion I've been receiving stays true.

I had a 75g previously and it was excellent depth for me. It is hard for me to comprehend an extra 6". It has to be great for planting something in a 'dutch' style. I have never had an empty space up top, I'm quite the advocate of floating plants.

I get the analogy though. Never really thought about it but it makes sense now. I've wondered how people get away with so much rated flow when I struggle with a single powerhead in my tank!

The reds of your plants are just amazing. It's insane to me! Incredibly beautiful tank. The growth was very subtle until I really looked at your carpet plants.
DigityDog70 and DigityDog70 like this.

post #21 of 1667 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
How are you keeping the AR variegated so good looking? Mine Is tiny and stunted, leaves are 2 cm long and the entire plant is maybe 3 or 4 cm tall. It has been months, and it is directly under the light.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

post #22 of 1667 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very nice! You always get such amazing colors in your plants. It gives me something to aspire to.

post #23 of 1667 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
How are you keeping the AR variegated so good looking? Mine Is tiny and stunted, leaves are 2 cm long and the entire plant is maybe 3 or 4 cm tall. It has been months, and it is directly under the light.
These look like crap honestly. Ideally the leaves are perfectly flat, no wavy margins. I tend to sell my good stuff and keep scraps to start over with. What you see above is the scraps.

Here's some better specimens, not perfect, but better -

As for why yours are doing bad, idk. ARs in general dont like high micros, wavy leaf edges is a classic symptom. Could be 100 other things too though. CO2 being a usual suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusive77 View Post
Very nice! You always get such amazing colors in your plants. It gives me something to aspire to.
Thanks!

Color has a lot to do with T5s and bulb selection. It's hard to get a pop like this with LEDs, at least without dropping a small fortune.

Last edited by burr740; 01-16-2017 at 09:26 AM. Reason: .
post #24 of 1667 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Gorgeous tank, just like the last one! I don't envy you having to trim and scape on a tank that tall and wide though. My back hurts just thinking about it! Although 24 inches front to back must be super fun to play with. You make it seem effortless, kudos for that feat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
burr740 and burr740 like this.

post #25 of 1667 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:57 PM
LRJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
'bout time...

Looking spectacular though! Killer plant health and colors as usual. Big improvement in the contrasts and distinction of groupings between initial planting and the current iteration.

Harlequin Rasboras were an excellent choice imo for the style of keeping the plants trimmed low with no back wall plantings. The Rasboras will inhabit the upper third and pop nicely against the bare black background, bringing visual interest to the unplanted area of the tank. Well thought out.
burr740 and burr740 like this.
post #26 of 1667 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hey Burr740, I just showed your new pics to my wife.

She was in awe. I told her how you spent 3 hours trimming it last week.

The good thing is she thinks I am a little less nuts now.

Thanks!

And by the way, just as stunning the second time through.

---
---
post #27 of 1667 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:12 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Absolutely amazing the color that you can get in your tanks. One of these days you will have to make a 1-2 minute video. Then the rest of us can watch your version of fish TV.

post #28 of 1667 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Glad to watch your new tank here Burr. May I ask you to post your GH and KH values? I am always amazed to see so much rich color with that low traces... Amazing indeed. Keep it up, I will be following you here!
post #29 of 1667 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
True combination of science and art!! Stunning colors and healthy plants...now only if I had your magic touch!. Looking forward to your journey
post #30 of 1667 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablau View Post
Glad to watch your new tank here Burr. May I ask you to post your GH and KH values? I am always amazed to see so much rich color with that low traces... Amazing indeed. Keep it up, I will be following you here!
I use all tap water. KH is ~5.5, GH is 50 ppm Ca and 4 ppm Mg, then I add another 10 ppm Mg via Epsom salt at water change

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode