120 Gal Dutchy Freestyle - Now with 35% less water volume! - Page 121 - The Planted Tank Forum
 4192Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1801 of 1815 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 06:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Gh

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Hi Kishore! I dose all tanks roughly the same regardless of soil or sand. I may go up or down with everything based on plant mass but I dont make any adjustments between them

Current macros, weekly total 21/6/25 divided in 3 equal doses through the week. No urea or NH4, all NO3

Micros I dose this 3x per week

Fe - .12 (.08 dtpa and .04 gluconate)
Mn - .025
B -.027
Zn - .021
Cu - .0019
Mo - .001
Ni - .00025

I add 10 ppm Mg with water changes. Water column Ca and Mg stays around 40 and 20

~75% weekly water change volume

I use straight tap water with KH 5-6. In 2 soil tanks I drop the KH to 0-1 using HCL for soft water species and really delicate stuff

@burr740 , I am confused when it comes to GH numbers. Currently iam on 20Ca and 5PPM Mg using 100% RO . What factors (high micros, high macro, light ,co2 ?)decides if i need to 40:20, 20:10 or 20:5 (Ca:Mg) . Any pointers on this please? Your numbers looks close to EI i guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1815 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n70me View Post
@burr740 , I am confused when it comes to GH numbers. Currently iam on 20Ca and 5PPM Mg using 100% RO . What factors (high micros, high macro, light ,co2 ?)decides if i need to 40:20, 20:10 or 20:5 (Ca:Mg) . Any pointers on this please? Your numbers looks close to EI i guess.
Macros are roughly EI but like Greggz said, with 75% water changes instead of 50 the levels in the water column arent as high as they would be doing only 50%

You can play with the nutrient accumulation calculator here to see the difference. https://rotalabutterfly.com/accumulation-calculator.php

Assuming zero plant uptake, which you have to do with this, the difference in NO3 levels dosing my 7 ppm 3x

Doing 50% weekly water changes the total NO3 in the water column eventually levels out around 42 ppm.

Doing 75% the maximum level becomes around 27 ppm. Again this assumes zero plant uptake just for the sake of comparison

So...water change volume plays a big role in how much nutrients are actually in the water relative to the dosing amount

I do bigger water changes for dissolved organics, for cleanliness, not to reset nutrients.

My tap has around 40 ppm Ca so Im locked into dosing Mg/K around that. Personally I think the hobby in general under doses Mg. My tanks have always done better with higher Mg levels, a 2:1 Ca:Mg ratio works best in my set ups.

20 Ca should be fine, Id run 10 Mg a long with that but its something you'll just have to try and see if it works better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by burr740; 08-31-2020 at 05:57 PM. Reason: l;
post #1803 of 1815 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 05:40 AM
Algae Grower

Nice update Burr!
Love that new Syngonanthus. Looks like a long leaves tonina.

If I recall correctly, in one of Tom's speech at AGA, he mentioned that, like CO2, plants adapt to certain concentration of fertilization.
High or low is not important. They can grow well in both cases. Stability is the key.
I've been copying Tom's fertilization/waterchange routine.
(High percentage waterchange, twice a week, and dose macro right after the waterchange)
With this routine, both the daily and weekly fluctuations are minimal.
Previously, I do daily macro dosing. While it provides minimal daily fluctuation, the weekly one is really bad.
I found Tom's method works well for the fast-growing Ludwigia species.
My Pantanal has stopped dropping lower leaves.
Other plants seem to do not care much.
Greggz, burr740, Immortal1 and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1804 of 1815 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nntnam View Post
Nice update Burr!

If I recall correctly, in one of Tom's speech at AGA, he mentioned that, like CO2, plants adapt to certain concentration of fertilization.
High or low is not important. They can grow well in both cases. Stability is the key.
(High percentage waterchange, twice a week, and dose macro right after the waterchange)
Previously, I do daily macro dosing. While it provides minimal daily fluctuation, the weekly one is really bad.
If I didnt have so many tanks I would do that, 2x per week or maybe every 4 days.

75%-80% WC with macros all at once right after. Then micros daily for 2-3 days. Repeat...
Greggz, LRJ, Econde and 2 others like this.

post #1805 of 1815 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 07:53 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Nice update Burr!

@nntnam,

So if i understand , daily dosing macro or even micro superior of all methods with 1 weekly water change?
post #1806 of 1815 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 01:23 AM

Burr, did you find much difference between daily micro dosing and 3x per week? I read your post where you wondered if 3x per week may increase concentrations and allow plants to stock up. Looked for an answer, but couldn't find it, sorry if I've missed it.
Greggz likes this.
post #1807 of 1815 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 02:10 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by n70me View Post
@nntnam,

So if i understand , daily dosing macro or even micro superior of all methods with 1 weekly water change?
Daily micro is the best choice, especially when you're using the chelator type. They're pretty much gone in the next day. Either precipitating or being consumed by plants. They may hang around longer if you're using salt.
Daily macro is good when you dose exactly what your plants consuming or less. This is called PPS-Pro if I remember correctly.
On the other hand, EI daily seems like a bad idea as the nutrient level will build up over the week and suddenly bottom out when you do the WC.
This may cause a huge fluctuation at the time of WC.
One way to work around is front-loading the tank with some certain levels of macro right after the WC, then add small daily dosages during weekdays.
Greggz likes this.

post #1808 of 1815 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 06:27 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Daily micro is the best choice, especially when you're using the chelator type.
Do you mean non chelated type? As far as i know non chelated traces needs regular dosing than chelated ones?
post #1809 of 1815 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Here's the OG 75 w/blasting sand.

New Persicaria cf glabra. Its smaller than most varieties and a little slower. Pretty cool plant

Greggz, rhiro, zivvel and 6 others like this.

post #1810 of 1815 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Great full tank shot and good to see the OG 75.

Interesting to see Mermaid Weed back in the rotation. I was thinking of adding again in my tank.

But I am confused. Does this mean no AGA Dutch this year? Or are you going with a soil tank?
Grobbins48 likes this.

---
---
post #1811 of 1815 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Great full tank shot and good to see the OG 75.

Interesting to see Mermaid Weed back in the rotation. I was thinking of adding again in my tank.

But I am confused. Does this mean no AGA Dutch this year? Or are you going with a soil tank?

This isnt the Dutch, its the original 75 that I started with. Then it turned into farm when I got the 120 gal, the one that busted a seam. The Dutch has sand too. Im still planning an AGA entry, deadline in about 5 weeks
Greggz, rhiro, zivvel and 5 others like this.

post #1812 of 1815 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 12:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
This isnt the Dutch, its the original 75 that I started with. Then it turned into farm when I got the 120 gal, the one that busted a seam. The Dutch has sand too. Im still planning an AGA entry, deadline in about 5 weeks
Well then the "farm" tank might be about the most nicely scaped "farm" tank in world!

Good luck with the AGA. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with this year.
zivvel and burr740 like this.

---
---
post #1813 of 1815 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 05:02 PM
Algae Grower

Did you think you could sneak this past us? Tell us a story, @burr740.

post #1814 of 1815 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivvel View Post
Did you think you could sneak this past us? Tell us a story, @burr740.

Hah, busted! Thats a baby Aflame Purple knight. It was struggling in sand and I have no room in a soil tank to grow it out... so its sitting here in a pot of Landen soil. Seems pretty happy now, there's a couple of crappy older leaves that need pinched off

Greggz, zivvel, LRJ and 1 others like this.

post #1815 of 1815 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 08:51 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Hah, busted! Thats a baby Aflame Purple knight. It was struggling in sand and I have no room in a soil tank to grow it out... so its sitting here in a pot of Landen soil. Seems pretty happy now, there's a couple of crappy older leaves that need pinched off

Really thought you would use some small red Solo cups...
or does @Maryland Guppy have patent on that approach ;-)
Greggz, zivvel, burr740 and 2 others like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode