120 Gal Dutchy Freestyle - Now with 35% less water volume! - Page 119 - The Planted Tank Forum
 4090Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1771 of 1785 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 12:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
I have no doubt my planted tank life would be somewhat easier with a lower fish load....but it is what it is.
Been thinking a out this quite a bit (no, not going to lower my fish load!). I agree that a heavy rainbow load changes the game a bit. I need to vacuum the surface of my sand each week to keep things happy in my tank.
Greggz and burr740 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1785 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 12:57 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
As to adjusting ferts based on fish load, here are my thoughts. Base your dosing on what the tank tells you, not what you think should happen. Every time I lowered NO3 thinking the fish load would take care of it, some plants rebelled and I ended up going back up. I don't factor in a thing for fish load, and just dose based on what the plants are telling me.

Great idea!!!

I just started playing.......having a nice glass of Scotch right now!!

Beginning to better understand this.
Not sure how long I can play the game - already got stuck with 2 rum & cokes

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #1773 of 1785 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Been thinking a out this quite a bit (no, not going to lower my fish load!). I agree that a heavy rainbow load changes the game a bit. I need to vacuum the surface of my sand each week to keep things happy in my tank.
Curious - what do you (or anyone else, for that matter) use to vacuum your gravel? Just a simple tube with a siphon hose - like a Python?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

post #1774 of 1785 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 05:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProndFarms View Post
Curious - what do you (or anyone else, for that matter) use to vacuum your gravel? Just a simple tube with a siphon hose - like a Python?

Yes, exactly that. I have one with about a 2 inch opening, and one that is just the 1/2" or whatever size tubing. As @burr740 warned a few pages back, be careful with using just the tubing. The suction is incredibly strong. It will rip both plants and fish to shreds if you do not take care!

But as @Greggz (do we all drink now???) learned in his journal, the syphon is also great for removing all your sand substrate during a swap!
Greggz likes this.

|

post #1775 of 1785 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 05:53 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Yes, exactly that. I have one with about a 2 inch opening, and one that is just the 1/2" or whatever size tubing. As @burr740 warned a few pages back, be careful with using just the tubing. The suction is incredibly strong. It will rip both plants and fish to shreds if you do not take care!

But as @Greggz (do we all drink now???) learned in his journal, the syphon is also great for removing all your sand substrate during a swap!
3/8" id tubing (usually found on medium gravel vac) works very nicely at getting into tight spots or getting a piece of substrate with BBA on it. Yes, it will tear plant leaves if you are not careful.

As for @Greggz - too early for a drink ;-)
Greggz and Grobbins48 like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #1776 of 1785 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
3/8" id tubing (usually found on medium gravel vac) works very nicely at getting into tight spots or getting a piece of substrate with BBA on it. Yes, it will tear plant leaves if you are not careful.

As for @Greggz - too early for a drink ;-)
Great bits of info there, thanks to the both of you.

And as @Greggz once told me, you can't drink all day if you don't start early!

Greggz, zivvel, burr740 and 2 others like this.

post #1777 of 1785 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProndFarms View Post
Great bits of info there, thanks to the both of you.

And as @Greggz once told me, you can't drink all day if you don't start early!
LOL......I've said a lot of things.....but I don't remember that one!

I'm guessing cocktail hour will start around 8:30 pm tonight (New COVID schedule!).............so maybe I'll drop in here and mention myself then so others can join me!!

---
---
post #1778 of 1785 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
LOL......I've said a lot of things.....but I don't remember that one!

I'm guessing cocktail hour will start around 8:30 pm tonight (New COVID schedule!).............so maybe I'll drop in here and mention myself then so others can join me!!
Waiting.....

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

post #1779 of 1785 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

So like promised, @Greggz here saying here's to you Joe for all the inspiration and support over the years.

OK, now I'll quit muddying up your thread.....but remember.....you started this!!

---
---

Last edited by Greggz; 04-22-2020 at 12:40 AM. Reason: typo
post #1780 of 1785 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (130/100%)
Bunch of degenerates around here...

Spent the last hour and a half down a Youtube rabbit hole looking for a good drinking song to post. Finally settled on this one. Not exactly what I had in mind to begin with but I find it.....pleasing

Cheers Homies

post #1781 of 1785 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 03:11 AM
Captain

Cheers :-)
Greggz likes this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #1782 of 1785 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Joe, you should definitely try uaupes in your bdbs tank/s. I have some articles on syn and on a micro propagation article it stated higher survival rates in a certain species in sand over vs some nutrient mediums and soils. This was a tc article. But heck they come from sand in the wild and uve already grown belem, giants, and so on right? I dont see how uaupes is different as long water kept soft and acidic.
Greggz, burr740 and Maryland Guppy like this.
post #1783 of 1785 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (130/100%)
Two interesting new species not yet in the hobby. A mini Mayaca variety that stays small, not officially ID'd yet. And Physostegia purpurea, dark green leafy plant that gets about softball size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post
Joe, you should definitely try uaupes in your bdbs tank/s. I have some articles on syn and on a micro propagation article it stated higher survival rates in a certain species in sand over vs some nutrient mediums and soils. This was a tc article. But heck they come from sand in the wild and uve already grown belem, giants, and so on right? I dont see how uaupes is different as long water kept soft and acidic.
Hey Dennis. I think you'd probably be right. Most Syn and Tonina Ive tried in sand grew fine as long as the KH was low. When Ive tried them in my regular tap with 5-6 dKH they couldnt really deal with it, sand or soil. Some of the same species would do alright but about half would not. I got tired of wasting them.

To get the low KH I have to use HCL, which is kind of a pita and also risky if not done just right. These days Im not doing any of the sand tanks, only two 75gal soil tanks where I keep all the soft water stuff.

It's interesting you have a study that some plants might actually prefer sand. I think Downoi varieties might too just from personal exp, and Rotala wallichii for some strange reason always does better in sand. Both could be KH related though and Im sure others have different experiences.

post #1784 of 1785 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 12:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
...interesting new species not yet in the hobby. ...Physostegia purpurea, dark green leafy plant that gets about softball size.
Intriguing! I like hearing about new non-stem plants so I had to look into this more. It's a very pretty wildflower when not submerged. Under water it looks very crypt-like. Almost like a missing link between crypt and sword from the more mature plant I googled up... Staying softball size sounds great too. Hope it does well for you!
http://aquaria.palo-alto.ca.us/plant...ownx.jpg.meta/
Attached Images

Greggz, zivvel and burr740 like this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #1785 of 1785 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 05:33 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Bunch of degenerates around here...

Spent the last hour and a half down a Youtube rabbit hole looking for a good drinking song to post. Finally settled on this one. Not exactly what I had in mind to begin with but I find it.....pleasing

Cheers Homies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfkq-Ov7WSw

I didnít know we were listening to drinking music and drinking sorry I missed well have to do it again sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode