120 Gal Dutchy Freestyle - Now with 35% less water volume! - Page 111 - The Planted Tank Forum
 3686Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1651 of 1666 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
Yeah, and no mini solo cups allowed!
LOL! Now that would be an entirely new and different category!

And if I'm the judge........you are in first place!!
Maryland Guppy and Quagulator like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1666 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Very glad to see you have Tonina now - something I've always wanted to grow!
Hmmm does it fit in my aquarium... why yes, everything fits!
Greggz and burr740 like this.

post #1653 of 1666 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
How's the Brownie Ghost doing?

I either vacuumed it up or it just melted away completely. Pretty sure I did it. Either way it's disappeared
I was just looking at your tank again and can't get over that buce wall. If I may ask how long did this take to fill in? Did you start with a huge amount or did that come with patience? I tried to go back through the thread and find where you removed the Xmas moss and replaced it, but somewhere around page 40 I saw both and then just buce. Could be confusing the 120 with the farm tank though. At any rate I have a few varieties of Buce growing and it's certainly grown after two years, but not in amounts I could build a tank around. Any that is high up in the tank I have to fight algae on old growth too, and you've got it at surface level looking perfect. Do you use glut? Any tips? Any varieties that do well/do poorly for you?
Greggz and chayos00 like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #1654 of 1666 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I was just looking at your tank again and can't get over that buce wall. If I may ask how long did this take to fill in? Did you start with a huge amount or did that come with patience? I tried to go back through the thread and find where you removed the Xmas moss and replaced it, but somewhere around page 40 I saw both and then just buce. Could be confusing the 120 with the farm tank though. At any rate I have a few varieties of Buce growing and it's certainly grown after two years, but not in amounts I could build a tank around. Any that is high up in the tank I have to fight algae on old growth too, and you've got it at surface level looking perfect. Do you use glut? Any tips? Any varieties that do well/do poorly for you?

Idk really they just grew kinda fast. I started with maybe a dozen. They dont grow across the wall, they grow out towards the front. So you have to keep them pruned back or they start shading everything underneath. In the process I just kept adding to the empty spaces and it didnt take long, probably 4 months. Then I was auctioning big piles of it on FB about every six weeks.

I dont know any secrets or anything, it just worked.
Greggz and Immortal1 like this.

post #1655 of 1666 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

And since apparently you're not part of the cool crowd these days unless you post ugly pictures too , here's some Rotala mexicana red that Im slowly killing. Its the little bunch in the middle

No surprise here, it's supposed to be very difficult and intolerant to higher dosing. This is what it looked like when I got it from Rodico about 3 weeks ago, very nice

Its not something Im gonna change anything to try and please or whatever. It doesnt like the best spot in the best tank I have to offer, so...its just one of those plants that need as different system, one with not much in the water column

Last edited by burr740; Yesterday at 11:42 PM. Reason: .
post #1656 of 1666 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
And since apparently you're not part of the cool crowd these days unless you post ugly pictures too , here's some Rotala mexicana red that Im slowly killing. Its the little bunch in the middle
Oh geez you mean I gotta start killing some plants to be with the cool crowd?? Hey, whatever it takes....I'll get on it!

But seriously now, that post is a great learning experience. Even someone like you, who can bring out the best in so many plants, might run across some that just flat out don't like what you are providing.

So what you should do? Exactly what you said, don't chase it at the expense of others. It might adjust, bounce back, and thrive.....and if it does...great. If not, move onto to something else.

I see lots of folks who have success with most plants, but are obsessed with something like AR mini or Ammannia. They twist themselves in knots trying to please that one plant, and the rest of the tank suffers. We've both banged our heads against the wall over and over again with a few species.. .and I think we have both learned that sometimes you just gotta give up and move on.

And by the way, the pink crypts are looking good. Are they growing? Doing well in general?
burr740 and Immortal1 like this.

---
---
post #1657 of 1666 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If killing plants is cool, then I'm The Fonz!
Greggz, burr740 and Maryland Guppy like this.

|

post #1658 of 1666 (permalink) Old Today, 12:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I have found mexicana varients to be pretty fragile. Not sure how to keep them going. My best luck was one from "goias" and one "araguia" variety although I no longer have them.

The pink flamingo crypts are great. I have them grown from an ADA tissue culture cup. They are pretty light hungry though. Very slow growing when planted in the shade as I have them. But they are pretty hardy with sufficient nutrition.
burr740 likes this.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #1659 of 1666 (permalink) Old Today, 12:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I love reading this thread and looking at the pictures! So much to learn from everyone
Greggz and burr740 like this.

Just keep swimming...
post #1660 of 1666 (permalink) Old Today, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
And by the way, the pink crypts are looking good. Are they growing? Doing well in general?
Funny you asked, got these two gnarly mother plants that for about six months do nothing but sit here and make babies. It's where all the others come from.

The baby crypts usually go on and do OK. Its still not a bulletproof plant for me. I dont think it particularly likes high dosing (contrary to Jeff's experience above which is totally viable too). The best ones I see are low tech and lower dosing folks, and these got a few steps better a while back when I'd dropped micros down a little bit.
Greggz likes this.

Last edited by burr740; Today at 01:12 AM. Reason: .
post #1661 of 1666 (permalink) Old Today, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Funny you asked, got these two gnarly mother plants from about six months ago that do nothing but sit here and make babies.

The baby crypts usually go on and do OK. Its still not a bulletproof plant for me. I dont think it particularly likes high dosing (contrary to Jeff's experience above which is totally viable too). The best ones I see are low tech and lower dosing folks, and these got a few steps better a while back when I'd dropped micros down a little bit.
Thanks that's about what I expected, and why I asked. They didn't look like they had grown much in the three weeks between pictures.

I've thought of getting some, but have suspected my parameters are probably not the best for them.

But that pink IS awfully nice, and I get why it's become a popular one to try.
burr740 likes this.

---
---
post #1662 of 1666 (permalink) Old Today, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
My shade grown flamingos actually take on a more "normal" color. Still pink but with some green-brown tone to them. Maybe with less light available the grow more like a normal crypt? I've also wondered how different "pink flamingo" and "pink panther" are. ADA sells it as pink panther and some other vendors sell it as pink flamingo. Could be clones of the same plant or similar, simultaneously developed mutants.
Greggz likes this.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #1663 of 1666 (permalink) Old Today, 01:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
flamingo is my nemesis!! mine all shriveled away. sigh

got one left. emersed. growing but not pink at all!!! dunno how I'm going to handle it. gonna get some inspiration from chantz .. he seems to do well with it emersed. maybe even try his stock in case it has adapted better to florida water.
burr740 likes this.

post #1664 of 1666 (permalink) Old Today, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffww View Post
My shade grown flamingos actually take on a more "normal" color. Still pink but with some green-brown tone to them. Maybe with less light available the grow more like a normal crypt? I've also wondered how different "pink flamingo" and "pink panther" are. ADA sells it as pink panther and some other vendors sell it as pink flamingo. Could be clones of the same plant or similar, simultaneously developed mutants.
A guy who should know said he was pretty sure Flamingo is a Nurii and Pink Panther is a Wendtii. He's growing both emmersed gonna know for sure when they flower.

If that is the case Pink Panther should be easier I would think. Mine here are Flamingo.
Greggz and ipkiss like this.

post #1665 of 1666 (permalink) Old Today, 01:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
shoot. that means i *should* try my hand at panther. i saw that fb thread i think.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode