120 Gal Dutchy Freestyle - Now with 35% less water volume! - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum
 4209Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 1818 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 12:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
The 120 has about 20-25 more PAR, ~95 vs 115-120.

Ive actually been considering going to 4 bulbs to drop it closer to the 50's level. Most of the time, the real sensitive species do a little better in the 50. The tank is more forgiving, slower to react.

Another thing is the sheer size of things in the 120. Pogo kimberlys get 7" wide at the tops, literally, with stems like a pool cue. They look just as nice in the 50 but with far less girth, same goes for most things.
how much PAR do you have at corners for the 50 gal and 120 gal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1818 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingAlongWithTsing View Post
how much PAR do you have at corners for the 50 gal and 120 gal?
Just took some readings in the 120

Numbers 1-3 are measured at the very front, 4 is on top of the buces.

With all 6 bulbs:

1 - 115
2 - 118
3 - 106
4 - 132

With the two sets of outside bulbs on, 4 total (3 pinks and the 6500K)

1 - 66
2 - 68
3 - 61
4 - 72

With the two middle bulbs (3000K and ATI Purp)

1 - 48
2 - 49
3 - 43
4 - 61

post #153 of 1818 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is the cleanest tank I've seen. The color is almost unreal, like it's photoshop. Amazing, keep up the good work.

Don't complicate things, simplify them!

post #154 of 1818 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:04 AM
Captain

Always amazed at how much light you have and yet very little (if any) algae. Impressed as always
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #155 of 1818 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Burr I like the way you measured it with the different combinations/numbers of bulbs. I should have taken the time to do that while I had the meter on hand. It looks like we are pretty close to the same PAR with all six bulbs on. You must be around 200 at the surface. And your other readings give me some idea of where I am with 2 or 4 bulbs running.

Do you run all six bulbs for the entire photo period? And if so, how long are the lights on?

---
---
post #156 of 1818 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
I put the Wave Point " Color Wave - Optimum Color Enhancer " bulb and the " True Lumen - Flora " bulb in my fixture. I REALLY like the combo!

This picture is heavily shopped to exaggerate the color of the bulbs. In reality The True lumen isnt as red and the color wave bulb isnt as purple

Here is a FTS showing the combo

post #157 of 1818 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sean I like the combination. Brings a different perspective to your tank.

The thing is, I bet it looks even better in person. It's difficult to capture the colors in a photo.

And Burr740, I don't know exactly how this happened, but we have started some type of bulb combo comparison think tank!!

I will say this, I have studied all of these pictures closely, and it is very interesting how the blend of colors changes the presentation of the tank.

---
---
post #158 of 1818 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:26 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Burr740, I don't know exactly how this happened, but we have started some type of bulb combo comparison think tank!!

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #159 of 1818 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:31 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to AquaLady86
I'm so copying your formula. Those lights are an excellent price. On my tank, I have a beamswork full spec and a dual t5 with pink gorw bulbs. I might sell the fixturs for the lights you have.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
burr740 and burr740 like this.
post #160 of 1818 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Always amazed at how much light you have and yet very little (if any) algae. Impressed as always
Thanks man. For whatever reason, as long as the plants are healthy and I keep things clean, there's little algae to speak of.

Now, there's definitely some algae in the tank. A bit of dust here and there, especially if I dont wipe the front glass for 2-3 weeks. And any plants which happen to be struggling get algae on the old growth, bba, gsa, etc.

Also funny thing, whenever I uproot/replant the Lobelia, which is about every 4-6 weeks, for the first week or so the bottom leaves get some gsa or bba (hard to tell, just sorta darkish speckles) Sometimes pretty bad, but then it goes away after a couple of weeks. I used to freak out until I realized the plant could take care of itself.

Quote:
Burr I like the way you measured it with the different combinations/numbers of bulbs. I should have taken the time to do that while I had the meter on hand. It looks like we are pretty close to the same PAR with all six bulbs on. You must be around 200 at the surface. And your other readings give me some idea of where I am with 2 or 4 bulbs running.

Do you run all six bulbs for the entire photo period? And if so, how long are the lights on?
Greggz, the light has two switches, one for the outer 4, and one for the inner 2.....but only one power cord.

So yeah it goes from nothing to full blast, then back to nothing. Comes on at noon, goes off at 8:30.

Coming on at noon, there's a few hours of ambient light for the livestock to wake up. So that's good, I suppose.

Ive been meaning to get in there and wire in a second power cord so two can come on then four, or vice versa, but I just havent done it yet. Im not much of an electrician but I have instructions how to do it (assuming it'll work)

Mostly laziness, but also I dont have a spare light in case something screws up. So Im a little apprehensive to try it, but...mostly laziness.

Also have two LED strip lights attached to the edges of the T5 for night viewing. They light up the tank enough to see and enjoy it, while not even registering on the PAR meter (in the water).

Had to brighten the pic up a little, this is pretty close to how it looks in person. Also there's a lot of shimmer which is pretty cool.

@Sean W. that's a pretty good look my friend

Quote:

And Burr740, I don't know exactly how this happened, but we have started some type of bulb combo comparison think tank!!
Fine by me because I love talking bulbs!

Last edited by burr740; 04-11-2017 at 03:37 AM. Reason: added quote
post #161 of 1818 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post

@Sean W. that's a pretty good look my friend

Fine by me because I love talking lights!
Yea! My girlfriend was holding the fixture while I was replacing the 6500k bulb with the True Lumen Flora, I was telling her I give it a 5% chance that I will like it. I was happily surprised. I will be keeping this combo. Wave Point Color Wave and the True Lumen Flora, my favorite combo so far!

If you told me a couple years ago that I would like a purple bulb and red bulb I would have laughed in your face. on my 5ft tank a couple years ago that I had with a quad 4ft fixture, I used all 6500k bulbs. Trying different color bulbs didnt even occur to me.

post #162 of 1818 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

opwindend!
post #163 of 1818 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle3 View Post
opwindend!
Bedankt!
kyle3 and kyle3 like this.

post #164 of 1818 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Man if the electricity bill wasn't $200 a month (SoCal prices rip) already i think i would of switched to t5 LOL. the bulb combo just looks so good

post #165 of 1818 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingAlongWithTsing View Post
Man if the electricity bill wasn't $200 a month (SoCal prices rip) already i think i would of switched to t5 LOL. the bulb combo just looks so good
You gotta apply for D Care man! Or switch to solar. My GF is the manager of a solar company. If you own your house, she can hook you up!

Last edited by Sean W.; 04-11-2017 at 04:02 AM. Reason: .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode