120 Gal Dutchy Freestyle - Now with 35% less water volume! - Page 100 - The Planted Tank Forum
 3261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1486 of 1539 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (122/100%)
Good stuff on the last page. Im glad Vin decided that he wasnt too good for forums after all.

The thing about these Buces, they dont spread across the wall. They grow out towards the front. They'd become like 7-8" deep.

I pinched off about 20 big hunks

And you cant even tell really

Hendy8888, Greggz, fablau and 12 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by burr740; 04-22-2019 at 01:41 AM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1487 of 1539 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
That's one of the main reasons I prefer A. nana 'Petite' for back walls. Buces earn more money though.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxa Tilly View Post
Funny you should say that - I am in the process of getting it tested using ICP-MS.

I suspect there is some leaching, but not a lot.
Vin, do you have a way to separate out how much the plants may be taking from the water column? I'd be really curious to see what the results would be like if that could be sussed out. Also, have you considered removing a bunch of mulm and having that tested as well? I'd be quite surprised if the organic material in the substrate isn't a nutrient sink of sorts too. Even with fairly enriched soil, an inch cap of 2-3mm quartz sand created an effective barrier to nutrient leaching in my thesis study too. I'm looking forward to seeing your results!

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #1488 of 1539 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
That's one of the main reasons I prefer A. nana 'Petite' for back walls. Buces earn more money though.
I cant keep algae off anubias that close to the light, do good to keep it off down low. But I like the color Buces bring to the table better anyway.

Last edited by burr740; 04-25-2019 at 06:49 PM. Reason: ,

post #1489 of 1539 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
That is some crazy growth on the Buce
jercarr2018 likes this.
post #1490 of 1539 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
@burr740 reminder of you today. Seen another pic of your tank in the "Gardener"

And @Phil Edwards glad to see you posting again!
You are in charge of "Clippings"?

@Saxa Tilly nice write up but I'll never have a dutch tank.
Too many rules for a chaotic mindset like my own.
Not to mention way too many species of plants.
But I do like a big red jungle!
Greggz and burr740 like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #1491 of 1539 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Hey Burr, what camera do you use for these shots? Do you do any post-processing?

I've found that having a purple-pink-red hue really increases the saturation on things, but it really has to be the only lighting in the room to not look over-pinked. In the picture there it looks like the pink from your light on the right, then some other light on the left, what color temp is the left one? Is your tank near a window or other outside light normally?

I know your light is pink, but I really want to somehow quantify how pink.

Cheers,
Spring

post #1492 of 1539 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Good stuff on the last page. Im glad Vin decided that he wasnt too good for forums after all.
What are you talking about? I **AM** too good for forums. ;-)

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post

Bump:

Vin, do you have a way to separate out how much the plants may be taking from the water column? I'd be really curious to see what the results would be like if that could be sussed out. Also, have you considered removing a bunch of mulm and having that tested as well? I'd be quite surprised if the organic material in the substrate isn't a nutrient sink of sorts too. Even with fairly enriched soil, an inch cap of 2-3mm quartz sand created an effective barrier to nutrient leaching in my thesis study too. I'm looking forward to seeing your results!
Hey Phil, I'm starting to get an idea on NO3 uptake in my tank. It's not as high as I thought. I was expecting about 3 ppm per day, but it's looking like closer to 1 ppm per day. If that. Obviously, less for P and K. Don't have a way to gauge Fe and trace usage yet.

CO2 is very high. Light is moderate to high. I haven't measured in a while, but probably 100-150 or so at substrate.

But before I dig my heels in, I need to test it a few more times.

No, I am far from testing mulm. Want to get a handle on what's being sucked out of the water when everything is non-limiting.

If you've been following my Osmocote tank...after 8 months of set up and amazing plant growth, and no water column dosing at all, ICP was unable to detect ANY nitrate in the water. Yet, the tank has the best and most effortless plant growth I've ever seen. I was assuming there was some leaching into the water. And there may have been more of that earlier. But 8 months after set up, there is no NO3 in the water.

PS: wish you were coming to AGA.
Greggz, fablau, burr740 and 2 others like this.
post #1493 of 1539 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 04:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxa Tilly View Post

If you've been following my Osmocote tank...after 8 months of set up and amazing plant growth, and no water column dosing at all, ICP was unable to detect ANY nitrate in the water. Yet, the tank has the best and most effortless plant growth I've ever seen. I was assuming there was some leaching into the water. And there may have been more of that earlier. But 8 months after set up, there is no NO3 in the water.

PS: wish you were coming to AGA.
That's pretty much what I found with my study too and I spiked some raw, super rich, soil pretty heavily in one of the treatments. There was an initial "first flush" but a full water change (5 gallon buckets with a supply pond for water) at 3 weeks everything was good. I haven't seen your Osmocote thread, would you please link it? If you're using a soil-based substrate like Amazonia or MTS, I'd fully expect leaching to be minimal as long as the substrate's thick enough. I've decided to keep water column supplementation to a minimum and go with root ferts in the current incarnation of my tank. I'd love it if you'd hop over there and keep an eye on it/contribute so we don't have to make a mess of Joe's thread.

I wish I was going to be there too. Seattle's my hometown and it would be good to see my family out there as well as my AGA family. I promise I wouldn't space out on you in the elevator like I did last time. Oh yeah, you're doing something there too, right? What is it, one of the short lighting talks between the real presentations?

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #1494 of 1539 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Syns and tonina have perked up in the lower KH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringHalo View Post
Hey Burr, what camera do you use for these shots? Do you do any post-processing?

I've found that having a purple-pink-red hue really increases the saturation on things, but it really has to be the only lighting in the room to not look over-pinked. In the picture there it looks like the pink from your light on the right, then some other light on the left, what color temp is the left one? Is your tank near a window or other outside light normally?

I know your light is pink, but I really want to somehow quantify how pink.

Cheers,
Spring
Thanks! The camera is a Samsung phone, usually adjust the brightness a little. The buces in the pic are getting over spill from two lights about like my avatar pic.
Greggz, fablau, LRJ and 1 others like this.

post #1495 of 1539 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 03:49 AM
Captain

Curious @burr740, when you say "Syns and tonina have perked up in the lower KH" how low are you now and what level were you at? I was thinking you were in the 3-4 range before you started.
I ask only because my tank seems to be doing better going from about 8dKH to 3dKH.
Greggz likes this.

post #1496 of 1539 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

It was 5.5-6 before, around 1 now

2 foot L rubin behind 18" senegalensis

Greggz, fablau, LRJ and 7 others like this.

post #1497 of 1539 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Bristle nose plecos dont eat plants?

Happened literally overnight.

post #1498 of 1539 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:

I would flush'em and see how they handle the septic tank!
That is some serious damage, are they a new addition?
Cringe looking at those leaves.

Wait, no way phish damage, add some more Mg to your macro solution!

Growing is not that difficult.

Last edited by Maryland Guppy; 05-08-2019 at 02:45 AM. Reason: edit
post #1499 of 1539 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:

I donít have any and many of my plants look eaten too... that definitely looks like pleco. I had one eat an entire sword.

First saw my penthorum, then limnophila rugosa, and now Myrio Guyana. Before all this had a nice bunch of myrio guyana and literally overnight had only a few small stems left, very few pieces floating around... though I had messed up ferts... now Iím thinking someone was hungry. I was able to grow some myrio back only to lose about half of it again overnight... need to set up a camera!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
burr740 likes this.

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #1500 of 1539 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
I would flush'em and see how they handle the septic tank!
That is some serious damage, are they a new addition?
He's been there from the start, only fish in there currently.

I had a school of Tiger barbs in one of my first plant tanks. They were fine for about a year. Then all of a sudden developed a taste for bacopa and stripped 30 stems bare in less than a week.

Had SAE do the same thing, be fine for a while then suddenly go on a rampage.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode