• 2 Post By Guyver
  • 2 Post By Bananableps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Kolet66 nanos

Current as of 1/10/17

I'm an experienced fish keeper but I'm new to nano tanks and live plants. This tank I set up around 12/20. It's cycled but I haven't put any fauna in yet because I'm experimenting with plants in here right now. As you can see I picked some supposedly easy stuff. What you can't see in the most recent picture is those little moss balls that I've almost managed to kill. Grow moss balls they say...it'll be easy. Ha! Mine are now polka dot with brown. As far as tank journals go mine probably won't be all that exciting. The only modification I've done to the tank is to slice the carbon out of my filter cartridge. I'm logging here for myself so I can learn. I don't mind if you laugh at me ( hopefully with me). I hope you point out my errors, and give me some advice. I'm sure I'm going to kill some plants. In my other two nanos I have bettas, but in this one going to try something different. All these tanks are lo tech. This one is all stock. Eco complete substrate. I just started experimenting with Seachems Excel..which is why I'm chicken to add any fauna.

Flora: sad looking marimo moss balls
Java moss
Ludwigia SP red..also a little sad looking
Western milfoil
Anubias nana petite
Anubias hastifolia

I'm hoping to find something low growing in dark, dark green hue for up front left.
Initial set up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beautiful tank! I have a Spec V as well, but nothing as nice as yours
kolet66 and kolet66 like this.

10 gallon acrylic fw planted. 6 neon tetras, 1 GBR, 3 Amano shrimp, 2 nerites, 1 BNP, Eheim Classic 2211, Finnex Planted+ 17W LED, Hydor ETH 200W In-Line Heater, InkBird temp controller.

10 gallon aquaponic setup, hydroponic basil, 8 HET rasboras, RCS, red ramshorn snails.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, we are dragging right along. I still haven't added fish...I did add a nerite to clean up algae. I need to get the fauna or the algae is going to take control. My plan is to add all male endlers. I talked to my LFS and they said they could order me some so I'll probably do that next week. this tank has been cycled for some time and it really needs inhabitants. As for the plants.., things I can grow java moss and Anubis. Lol. Pretty sad, The replens is hanging in there I've even cut it and replanted so maybe I'm doing well there. The western milfoil didn't look fabulous when I received it from the vendor and now it looks even less fabulous. I suspect it's not going to make it in the long run. I like the look and I'd love to find something similar that I could grow in this tank with the stock lighting and low-tech. I could consider hornwort but I keep reading about how much it sheds and I'm not really keen on that. Ive not given up on the milfoil quite yet... but I'm thinking if it was going to thrive it would have begun to do so by now. Now that I have these little Nano tanks they're a lot of fun but I find I miss having bottom dwellers . I can't seem to find any that would fit the parameters of these little tanks, if you know of one let me know.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 06:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolet66 View Post
I'm hoping to find something low growing in dark, dark green hue for up front left.

Looks great! Not a lot of plants get darker green than anubias. Buces certainly do, but they're very expensive right now and, more than likely, poached from the wild in Borneo. Staurogyne repens can be very dark green, but in my experience they lighten up in low tech conditions. Crypts come in some very dark green colors, but I can't think of a foreground appropriate crypt that does so - most of the very small crypts are light green.

I think the best way to achieve the effect of dark green is to contrast the anubias you already have with some light green plants! Pennywort, or maybe a cardamine, would add a nice light green contrast while also adding a leaf/grow pattern type that does not already exist in your tank. I've been having fun recently planting these types of plants behind driftwood and then letting them crawl/spill over it.
kolet66 and kolet66 like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolet66 View Post
Now that I have these little Nano tanks they're a lot of fun but I find I miss having bottom dwellers . I can't seem to find any that would fit the parameters of these little tanks, if you know of one let me know.

I have hastatus cories in one of my Spec V's. They stay mostly along the bottom but will sometimes swim higher and might rest on a leaf of the anubias. In another 5.5g tank I have Hara Jerdoni (Asian Stone Cat Fish), a really small catfish. They do stay mostly hidden however and will often be found clinging to the driftwood under the leaves of a java fern. They are out and about when I do a water change and when I feed frozen daphnia, which this tank gets most often.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
I have hastatus cories in one of my Spec V's. They stay mostly along the bottom but will sometimes swim higher and might rest on a leaf of the anubias. In another 5.5g tank I have Hara Jerdoni (Asian Stone Cat Fish), a really small catfish. They do stay mostly hidden however and will often be found clinging to the driftwood under the leaves of a java fern. They are out and about when I do a water change and when I feed frozen daphnia, which this tank gets most often.
Hi Sue D... I checked out the stone catfish.. love! Do you find they are okay as a single specimen? With the endler and the nerite the bio on this tank could only handle one...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 11:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think most stone cats are wild caught :/
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I'm thinking I won't have much luck catching one. =) I was also reading they like sandy bottoms and I'm all eco complete over here.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Kolet66 nanos

Well, I figured since I was going to add the fish this week, if I beat the guy that keeps buying all the endlers to the LFS on Thursday, I'd best do some jazzing. The sad milfoil is now hidden amide moneywort...Anyone's guess if it will survive me. I got the moneywort because I've read it's so easy to grow and, well, the price was right. Hmmm, we shall see what happens. I also had ordered some hornwort...initially the hornwort was going to go in this tank because I wanted something soft and feathery like the original milfoil plan, but the hornwort arrived looking like pea soup. It was a huge mess and I chunked it. So now the moneywort went in here instead into the other tank. I added two wendtiii red and a nice crypt lucen. I also added a crypt balansae which I really really like ( so it will probably promptly croak). The final touch is some stones out of my rock collection. Mostly agates and pet wood. My observation is this Spec V is a good looking tank but it seems to be a dirty tank. I'm not sure why but the gravel has a lot of "junk"and particles that I don't find my other tanks. Id blame it on the eco-complete but that's what I use in them all. The water goes down pretty quick in this tank as well and it requires capping off every other day. If you don't cap off, before you know it the filter compartment is half empty which isn't good for the filter media or for maintaining a good temperature because I have the thermometer tucked back there. Now, as I'm writing this, I can't remember if I added root tabs under those crypts. how can I not remember?? It was only a few hours ago. Hopefully sometime in the next week or two I'll go ahead and take some photos of my other tanks and my vase, maybe even my whiskey barrel ponds and get them on here so I can kind of keep track of how many plants I kill. The good news for all the fishy is I'm an excellent fish parent...and while I have a green thumb...i'm beginning to think it's a landlubber thumb. If there's anyone out there looking at this and you have any thoughts, I'm all ears.

Last edited by kolet66; 02-05-2017 at 05:14 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Kolet66 nanos

. So I took a shot of a couple of my tanks today. I'm planning to add the rest of the tanks soon then edit in the flora and fauna. These are just standard shots and clean I dint clean them up all special since it was my journal I figured they should look like they look most days. They're due for water change tomorrow.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

. So the diatoms have arrived in mass. We are going through the major uglies. The nerite in this tank is a lazy mister too ( not that he could handle this disaster). I think I'm going to have to rethink the tall anibus as well..they are up close to the light and now have some kind of algae on their top surface. I'm no algae expert so I don't know what kind. The lights are on about 6 hours daily, But there is some natural light too. I think I'm going to try a black out for a few days and see what happens. But in the end I think I'm going to have to rethink the tall anibus. I did get my endlers. Good looking little guys. I'm going to add an amano to this tank when I can find one. Im tempted to take one out of one of my other tanks and him in here.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Kolet66 nanos

It's been a while since I've done a little update in this journal. The fluval gave me fits for a long time with weird nitrate spikes. I'm not scientific but I did move it out of the sunny spot it was in and it's done so much better. I've stop fiddling with the landscape for a while to let these plants sink or swim, its slow going for sure. I really would like to have some tall jungle type growth. Maybe someday. Snails, shrimp and endless are all happy. I've also attached a photo of Julios vase. Flora and fauna seem happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by kolet66; 04-30-2017 at 04:56 AM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Kolet66 nanos

. This is the shrimp tank I don't really mess with it and I throw in bits and pieces of plants and they just do their thing. shrimp and I have had our differences and unfortunately a few shrimp have lost their lives. Perhaps I'm getting the hang of it now because we have babies ...time will tell.
. Borcelli's nano.. i'm good with fish but me and plants still struggle. This tank is doing so so, or maybe good . I'm just trying to leave it alone and see what happens believe it or not it's coming up on a-year-old. My main complaint is it has a continuous oil slick on the top that no matter what I do I cannot control. Whispers nano. A year ago I named this little betta whisper because he was an all white iridescent whisper. today I call him Dark Whisper because he seems to have gone over to the dark side. Whispers tank is where Java fern goes to die. After about seven months in the tank the java turned brown and looks like a nightmare. In the interest of patience I'm just kind of seeing what it does but it doesn't look good in this tank. The funny thing about this tank... it's just whisper and his nerite..from day one this Tank has always been pristine. Never a drop of algae never out of parameters just slow growing. . The spec 5. Fishy's, snails, and Fauna seem to be holding their own. This Tank always has terrible parameter spikes. Always has even when it just had two snails. I really think there's some problem with the filter on this tank but for the life of me I can't figure out what. The filter media is never really as dirty as it should be especially with this being the most heavily stocked tank . Hmmmm. In closing it seems like none of my tanks want to jungle out like all the pictures I see of everybody else's but maybe slow and steady will win the race for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode