Freeman's 125 (Some fish are in!) - Page 14 - The Planted Tank Forum
 141Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #196 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Have to agree, the changes are tremendous in just a week! Also your school of rainbows is beautiful. Im not a "big fish" fan so im glad you didn't go down that route of having one ginormous fish rather than a school of smaller ones that draw more attention. Anyway, Great progression plants look good to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
Wow, the changes are impressive. They are tough to notice when you are looking at your tank multiple times per day. Has everything stabilized with the fish?
It is tough to notice without stepping back and looking at old photos. I think it has stabilized, more or less. I haven't had any visual losses recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
Have to agree, the changes are tremendous in just a week! Also your school of rainbows is beautiful. Im not a "big fish" fan so im glad you didn't go down that route of having one ginormous fish rather than a school of smaller ones that draw more attention. Anyway, Great progression plants look good to!
Thanks! I was planning on 70-100 harlequins, but the original company dropped the ball on that. So I settled for 20 congo tetras and a mix of rainbows. I like the idea of a large school, but it is nice to have some decent sized fish for a change. I need to wrap this stand up though! Too bad I've started a separate venture.

I'll be posting updates from time to time and I will wrap the stand, but that's all I have planned on this build. I have MegaCon Orlando coming up, so that tends to eat up my time building up to it. Probably wrap the stand in the summer.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #198 of 212 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 04:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

update? must see pictures over the course of 20 days or so lol!

post #199 of 212 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:02 AM
Planted Member

sub'd! Nice progress. I'm setting up a 125G soon and plan on a low-tech-ish jungle look. I really like your rocks, my old 75g had a huge boulder in it, weirdly one of my favorite parts of the tank...

I've taken a few ideas from your build to possibly incorporate into mine. The DJ power switch seems like a nice idea and the finnex 24/7 seems cool as well. I had been planning on a Current brand light, did you look at those at all when you were shopping? the finnex boasts about "true 660nm red LEDs" but I don't really know much about that vs what the current has to offer.

I hope the fish calm down for you soon!

My father's day
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A new 120g is coming!
post #200 of 212 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
update? must see pictures over the course of 20 days or so lol!

Ooops! I'll get some photos this weekend. It's just been daily feeding, weekly water changes, and picking out the occasional pest snail. I do need to wipe the inside of the tank down and adjust my lighting period slightly. I'll have an update come Saturday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestcook View Post
sub'd! Nice progress. I'm setting up a 125G soon and plan on a low-tech-ish jungle look. I really like your rocks, my old 75g had a huge boulder in it, weirdly one of my favorite parts of the tank...

I've taken a few ideas from your build to possibly incorporate into mine. The DJ power switch seems like a nice idea and the finnex 24/7 seems cool as well. I had been planning on a Current brand light, did you look at those at all when you were shopping? the finnex boasts about "true 660nm red LEDs" but I don't really know much about that vs what the current has to offer.

I hope the fish calm down for you soon!
Not weird at all in my opinion! The huge rocks and java fern was the only 'planned' portion of my tank and I do love it. The DJ power rack is awesome, definitely plan on using one or two on all my future builds. A lot cleaner than multiple power strips or unplugging equipment during maintenance. The finnex 24/7 was something I had lying around, if you are buying new, look into the Vivagrow 24/7 light. I have had a current USA Sat+ in the past and considered them briefly for this tank as well. The issue with lighting, for me, comes down to cost, appearance of the tank, and growth. Cost is self explanatory and any light with about 30 par at your substrate will grow just like my tank here. The physical appearance of the light wasn't a factor since I plan on having an enclosed canopy, but the height of the canopy led me to LEDs instead of my fabled spiral CFLs.

For a standard 125g, that is 24" tall, I would DEFINITELY recommend the 72" beamswork pent 0.5w LED light that I have. It struggles with my 24" width a bit, but a 18" wide tank would be much more easily lit. I have mine suspended a foot or so off the tank, so the extra height on the standard 125 wouldn't be an issue. The light I have is very similar to the Finnex Ray 2 as far as the par. So the new Finnex 24/7 SE would work as well as the Ray2 as a replacement. The Sat+ would be too weak, but the Sat+ pro by Current would work well. The issue is the cost of those lights. You would need two of the 36" lights.

I don't, personally, care about true 660nm reds or any of that jazz. Plain white has worked well for my low tech tanks since the dawn of my immersion in the hobby. I had 5000K & 6500K spiral CFLs, 10000K and 6500K beamswork lights, Finnex planted + 24/7, Current USA Sat+, and even a small adventure into DIY LEDs. Keeping it simple has worked best for me.

Lastly, I haven't had any losses in a the past weeks. Seems like it has calmed. The Congos are starting to get very pretty. I plan on picking up a mix mash of local rainbows in the future. Time to clean out a temporary holding tank!

post #201 of 212 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
@Freemananana, how are you using timers on the DJ power rack? I'm assuming there isn't room for the space that timers use up on the plug. Really happy to hear that everything has stabilized with your fish.

Tank Journal -
post #202 of 212 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
@Freemananana, how are you using timers on the DJ power rack? I'm assuming there isn't room for the space that timers use up on the plug. Really happy to hear that everything has stabilized with your fish.
I sacrificed the top two outlets for a timer and I am using a 1' extension cord for the other timer. Adding 1-2' extension cords to the rack allows you to run bulky plugs without much issue.

Here's a much blurrier than anticipated full tank shot:

Here's a close up:

While I was looking at the tank, I noticed something interesting in the sump. I have fry! hahaha. Probably 20 or so 1/4-1/2" little somethings in my sump. I have no clue how the eggs got to the last chamber, but there are a whole bunch of fry in there. I know some of the flake probably makes it's way down there, so I'll just put off sump maintenance until they are large enough to identify and add to the display tank.

post #203 of 212 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

sounds cool! also the tank is filling in quite nicely
post #204 of 212 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
sounds cool! also the tank is filling in quite nicely
Thanks! It's pretty obvious where the lights overlapped and the plants were growing much faster. It will take some time before it fills in the corners. I may uproot and move some plants.

post #205 of 212 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Good stuff I just checked every page in your journal. Awesome 125 setup for sure. Wish I never sold my 125 gallon acrylic tank I had. Had to though due to financial situation last year. Now to look for another one lol.
post #206 of 212 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
Good stuff I just checked every page in your journal. Awesome 125 setup for sure. Wish I never sold my 125 gallon acrylic tank I had. Had to though due to financial situation last year. Now to look for another one lol.
I'm shopping for 3/4" sheets of acrylic for a much larger tank already! haha. I'm going to make my next one I think. That's the next step in DIY fish keeping.
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.

post #207 of 212 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The tank WAS doing great until today.

Unfortunately, while doing my weekly water change, the top brace snapped off some how.

I may just keel over and die from the stress though.

post #208 of 212 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 04:51 PM
Planted Member

Oh, no! Can you clamp it?
post #209 of 212 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye View Post
Oh, no! Can you clamp it?
That's the temporary plan. I'm going to clamp it and try and reweld the seam. Maybe it was epoxied or something and not attached with weldon.

post #210 of 212 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The seams have been rewelded, a large brace installed, etc. I'm putting together a new tank. More on that in another thread I supposed. The brace in 2x4s with a 2x6 in the rear. Lots of beef on the ends, diagonal bracing on the top, etc. It's fairly strong, strong enough to hold if the reweld doesn't. It isn't going to be a permanent fix, but it will due for now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode