40g budget build - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
40g budget build

Hi everyone
Due to plant stunting which i believe was due to micro toxicity ive decided to restart the tank
I named it a budget build since everything used in this setup is quite affordable and im keen to see what results can be achieved without aquasoil which i was previously using

Tank: ~40g 36x14x18 with DIY stand
Lighting: 2x 30watt cool white LED floodlights
Filtration: Sunsun HW-302 and Sunsun JVP-110 wavemaker
Substrate/hardscape: River gravel and sand with 'Blue pitch' stone, all from a landscaping place for dirt cheap
Co2: Co2art dual stage combined with Rex grigg reactor
Fertilization: Premixed dry ferts, EI dosing

Fauna:
7x Peppered corydoras and 1 trilineatus
1x Albino bristlenose pleco

Flora:
Hygrophila angustifolia
Cyperus helferi
Rotala sp. green
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala nanjenshan
Bacopa sp. Japan
Staurogyne repens
Ludwigia brevipes
Lobelia Cardinalis mini
Crypt wendtii brown
Banana plant

The tank is now a week old, the majority of the plants i used were taken from my emmersed grow out tub
Right now the plants are transitioning into their submersed form, especially keen to see how the h. angustifolia will come out since i havn't grown it with much success before
My only regret is using the river gravel which is simply too big in size and isn't ideal for planting in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161231_202700976_HDR (Large).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	704682  

Name:	IMG_20161231_204428404_HDR (Large).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	704690  

Name:	IMG_20161231_204552492 (Large).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	704706  

Name:	IMG_20161231_204631021 (Large).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	704714  

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

Last edited by Remmy; 01-08-2017 at 03:02 PM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 11:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

very pretty aquascape
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)
Beautiful tank! Certainly shows you can have a sweet setup even on a budget. What are future stocking plans?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The angustifloia should transition quite well, don't be shocked the emersed leaves will melt off after it has established itself. Submersed growth is basically identical looking, slightly lighter green leaves, slightly narrower and slightly longer leaves as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 03:17 PM
Algae Grower

Beautiful tank. What do you plan to stock it with?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Stocking has yet to be determined but its really more of an afterthought, ideally a group of smaller tetras or maybe minnows
I'd like to try an apistogramma but that's something i'll have to track down since they're not too common here
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

2 Week mark
Most plants are doing good while others less so
S. repens and the bacopa have wrinkled leaves, S.repens and cyperus helferi especially are being blasted with GSA. Im dosing close to double EI levels for phosphate so thats weird. Also getting a little brown algae on some leaves but not too bad
H. angustifolia growing well, i'm going to trim it down together with the bacopa and ludwigia
Rotala sp green putting out lots of side shoots, its going to be very bushy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170106_225816831_HDR.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	708018  

Name:	IMG_20170106_225901452_HDR.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	708026  

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

40g budget build

Maybe the tank just needs to mature a bit before the algae goes away. Be careful with really high P levels, as I think it was Burr was having problems with high PO4 levels basically removing Fe from his tank. Dosing EI levels of PO4 should be more than sufficient.
Looks good though. You probably should be fine with inert substrate since you are dosing EI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
Stocking has yet to be determined but its really more of an afterthought, ideally a group of smaller tetras or maybe minnows
I'd like to try an apistogramma but that's something i'll have to track down since they're not too common here
American - Dwarf : Second Nature Aquariums, Live Fish & Plants Delivered Australia Wide

Just a noob

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Week 3
Big trim this week, most of the stem plants got a trim as did most of the cyperus leaves that were covered in GSA
Brown algae present but in manageable amounts, mostly on the Rotala green that i can see
The S.Repens isn't doing too great, wrinkled/cupped leaves, im going to wait a while since these plants were all emersed before doing anything with it
The star of the show this week was the banana lilly by sending out two surface leaves, they grew very quickly, one has already opened and is a nice green with brown specks

With regards to the hardscape i feel that the largest rock in front of the cyperus will need to go in the near future, its not large enough and as everything grows around it i feel it'll look out of place
I need to find some pieces of longer branch shaped malaysian driftwood and put them in its place with some moss attached, i think it'll compliment this scape better than the rock
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170114_194405820.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	710497  

Name:	IMG_20170114_194452738_HDR.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	710505  

Name:	IMG_20170114_194535121.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	710513  

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

still looking great , update though?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've been battling staghorn for a while so ive been avoiding an update , started recently dosing glut to see if it can help, also lowered iron/micro dose
The tank is a bit messy right now, i've got several bits and pieces in the left corner that i need to get rid of

Main changes though are the addition of the driftwood, replacement of Rotala sp green with pearlweed in the center, planted a bunch of lobelia mini on the right side
Had issues with the h.angustifolia, it was stunting. I've recently starting misting Co2 with the wavemaker instead of using my reactor (suspect there was leakage) and the plants seem to respond well, noticeable improvement on different species however im not happy as it seems to be wasteful.

That glass container on the left is just aquasoil with monte carlo im growing for my shrimp tank
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170327_233007971_HDR.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	737426  

Hephaestus and Hephaestus like this.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 01:33 AM
Algae Grower

Looks good! How are you liking those LED lights? I've been eyeing them as a cheaper option for lighting lately.

Fluval Spec 5gal: Betta tank(A. nana, M. pteropus, C. Wendtii(?), E. argentinensis)
7.5gal rimless cube - S. repens, L. brasiliensis, A. reineckii "mini", R. wallichii - dry started 3/11, flooded 3/25 - will eventually become a shrimp tank (probably CRS or RCS)
10gal - S. repens, L. brasiliensis, A. reineckii "mini", R. wallichii (left over from 7.5gal dry start), C. wendtii, E. argentinensis
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

same @Hephaestus, im either leaning for a F 2.0 or Some floodlights,
I must ask are you using high tech plants? (or plants considered high tech) Because your growth over the time of your posts, looks fantastic! Still love your scape to me its incredible. The warm lights really make it look authentic
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
Looks good! How are you liking those LED lights? I've been eyeing them as a cheaper option for lighting lately.
They do the job well enough. I'm not convinced that something like a kessil light is worth paying 10x (or whatever it may be) of the price of a floodlight, the difference in performance cannot justify the price difference.
I would especially recommend them to a new person who's setting up a new tank with a limited budget, the savings on lights can be put towards co2 or substrate.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode